PDA

View Full Version : That's it! I've had it up to here...

GFree
February 16th, 2007, 11:15 AM
...with Vista! Damn P.O.S! :evil:

I've been suffering several issues with Vista, but I just can't seem to keep up these days. You solve one problem, and another one pops up. Most recently, I was trying to run PerfectDisk (a defrag tool) and it kept crashing on startup due to an issue with a certain .DLL file. I thought, OK, something must have damaged the file, I'll just reinstall PerfectDisk. No dice, it kept screwing up. I decide to log out/log back in, and lo and behold the entire system shows evidence of being FUBAR. The shell has dropped to classic mode, Explorer crashes immediately upon startup, I get a whole lot of startup programs complain about failures related to that particular .DLL, and so on.

Eventually I decide to just reboot the whole system ('cos you know, even in 2007 that's still the best way to solve Windows problems), and funnily enough it worked, but I had a whole lot of errors in my events log as part of the process. I then discovered some virtual drives and odd bits had been disabled due to the crashing before. So... I crack, literally out loud "F**K THIS S**T!" (the *'s replaced with their full counterparts), and decide to blow away my Windows installation and stick on Ubuntu solo.

I am now in the middle of acquiring the post-install updates, and I'm sure as hell determined to make this pure-Linux system work hell or shine. It's about time anyway. I'm rather ticked-off that despite thinking I know how to take care of my Windows installations, and investing the time and effort to secure my systems to a high level, something always screws up that make absolutely no sense. I could have always gone back to XP, but XP won't be supported forever, and I don't like the way Windows is headed anyway.

That was 30 minutes ago, but I'm still angry! Once this is done I'll stick on Quake 4 and shoot a bunch of stuff to make me calm down.

So thank you for reading! I am now a full Linux convert! GOOD DAY PEOPLE!!!

/administers sedative

Somenoob
February 16th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Now buy a "Windows Vista incapable" sticker :)

Tomosaur
February 16th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Good to know! Unfortunately, I can't ditch Windows (my course requires me to develop for both Linux and Windows), but if I could, I would :)

I have only a vague interest in Vista - from what I've seen of it, it doesn't really bring anything new and desirable to the table - just a pretty GUI and an incredibly annoying security system. I don't want my computer to tell me every single time I do something even remotely 'dangerous', I just want it to let me do things in peace. I'm all for secure systems - but Linux is very secure, and it doesn't bug me every two minutes.

fuscia
February 16th, 2007, 01:43 PM
i wonder how many volumes vista annoyances will be.

tigerpants
February 16th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I'm amazed that a company with the expertise, knowledge and money that microsoft has can get its flagship product so consistently wrong.