PDA

View Full Version : How large is your ignore list?

meng
February 15th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Do you use it? How many forum members are on it?

riven0
February 16th, 2007, 12:02 AM
I'm happy to say: none! No one annoys me that much. :)

rsambuca
February 16th, 2007, 12:04 AM
None, but definitely have considered using it a few times!

Baelfael
February 16th, 2007, 12:13 AM
None. I never use ignore lists. I just battle it out.

FuturePilot
February 16th, 2007, 12:14 AM
None. I know it exists but everyone around here is so nice.:KS

iSE
February 16th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Thats so true

r4ik
February 16th, 2007, 12:28 AM
None never crossed my mind to use it.

BWF89
February 16th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I've been here since 2004 and I've never added anyone.

maddog39
February 16th, 2007, 12:32 AM
None. I'm not sure I've ever even used it on any other forum either. Plus, I have to agree with whoever said everyone here is nice! Because its like 98% true. :D

Pikestaff
February 16th, 2007, 12:45 AM
I'm glad to say I haven't had to use it yet :)

Dale61
February 16th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Add me to the none list.

Two questions though:

1/. How many does the thread starter have?

2/. Those that do have members on their ignore, why are they there? (I'm not asking who they are, just why they're there.)

%hMa@?b<C
February 16th, 2007, 01:18 AM
I never ignore anyone, I find it funny to laugh at those that I would have ignore listed.

meng
February 16th, 2007, 01:21 AM
My list expanded to 16 today. It is reserved for members who ask for help but submit abusive posts. Of course, the vast majority of members do not fall into this category.
FYI, if you attempt to add yourself to your ignore list, you get this message:
"Sorry, no matter how much you try, you can not ignore yourself."

reclusivemonkey
May 7th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Just a bit of fun; how big is your ignore list? =]

ComplexNumber
May 7th, 2007, 10:02 AM
no names are to be mentioned. thats not good.

Spr0k3t
May 7th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Zilch

reclusivemonkey
May 7th, 2007, 10:04 AM
no names are to be mentioned. thats not good.

Yeah I was going to mention that. Its just a bit of fun =]

xyz
May 7th, 2007, 10:06 AM

rai4shu2
May 7th, 2007, 10:30 AM
0 (Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.)

jkblacker
May 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM
0 - tho I've not really been here that long, I hope it stays that way!

STREETURCHINE
May 7th, 2007, 10:46 AM
i see no reason to put people on the ignore list,
i may not like what they say ,may not like there attitude ,but that is no reason to ignore or hold a grudge.
so i choose to ignore nobody:)

Lord Illidan
May 7th, 2007, 10:53 AM
None..

Vorian
May 7th, 2007, 11:19 AM
zero for me :)

KiwiNZ
May 7th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Mine is zero

How could I be expected to be heard if I ignored others.

LookTJ
May 7th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Zero I like to keep close with everyone.

M$LOL
May 7th, 2007, 11:30 AM
None, just like everyone has said, but I imagine the people who do have long lists of ignorees wouldn't post here anyway. ;)

DrOlaf
May 7th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Zero. I've been sorely tempted sometimes, but still zero.

bapoumba
May 7th, 2007, 12:11 PM
None.
There is already another thread on this topic. I've not merged them, because polls get lost upon merging.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=362532

OffHand
May 7th, 2007, 01:55 PM
2 - it's a shame their posts do not dissapear all the way and they are still visible if they are being quoted....

AndyCooll
May 7th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Didn't know it was an option that could be used TBH. Now I know ...

:cool:

Brunellus
May 7th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I keep mine empty, since I'm supposed to be modding.

If I weren't a mod, I might consider using the bozo filter.

aysiu
May 7th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I used to have a huge ignore list, but then I realized it doesn't really work.

1. The people I want to ignore are usually the ones who stir things up. The ones who stir things up tend to get quoted a lot by people trying to refute arguments. I can't ignore the quotations, so I end up being able to see their garbage anyway.

2. If someone I'm "ignoring" bumps a thread I'm subscribed to, I still get the bump.

rai4shu2
May 7th, 2007, 05:30 PM
What might work better is if we could color-code some people. If I could make certain people show up (for me) as dark red, I'd know better than to try arguing with them for example.

karellen
May 7th, 2007, 07:13 PM
no one. I had no reason to ignore someone

wolfen69
April 10th, 2009, 04:38 AM
please don't name anyone or start flaming, but just curious as to how many people you don't want to hear from anymore. i have 11 and growing. and every time i let one of them "back in" i'm reminded why they made that list in the first place. like i said, no naming of names, just how many.

bashveank
April 10th, 2009, 04:41 AM
None...
what does the ignore list do? :oops:

lisati
April 10th, 2009, 04:43 AM
None...

I have none as well, I think it blocks people you don't want PMs from.

collinp
April 10th, 2009, 04:43 AM
None. Its fairly hard to get on my ignore list, you have to be trying to tick me off to get on it lol.

wolfen69
April 10th, 2009, 04:44 AM
None...

if you know that there is a poster who you dislike alot, or can't stand what they have to say, it allows you to not see what they have to say. it's blocked automatically.

Stupendoussteve
April 10th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Zero. I may not like what people have to say, but I can deal with different opinions.

wolfen69
April 10th, 2009, 04:45 AM
I have none as well, I think it blocks people you don't want PMs from.

not quite. it blocks all posts from that person.

Polygon
April 10th, 2009, 04:49 AM
rav tux is the only person to have the honor of being on my ignore list.

Icehuck
April 10th, 2009, 04:50 AM
I have no one on my ignore list. It really makes it hard to follow a conversation when you can't see posts that people are referring to.

Newuser1111
April 10th, 2009, 04:53 AM
None.

wolfen69
April 10th, 2009, 04:54 AM
ra* tu% is the only person to have the honor of being on my ignore list.

could you please go back and take his name out? i don't want this thread to get out of hand. no names please. heck, i'm sure i might be on a couple lists myself.

Mokoma
April 10th, 2009, 04:56 AM
none. why should i block anyone?

lykwydchykyn
April 10th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Nobody. Some of the people who have ticked me off before have helped me with stuff later. We all have our days, and we all say things that get taken wrong. In my book, once the thread is dead, everyone gets a clean slate.

Icehuck
April 10th, 2009, 04:58 AM
Nobody. Some of the people who have ticked me off before have helped me with stuff later. We all have our days, and we all say things that get taken wrong. In my book, once the thread is dead, everyone gets a clean slate.

I like that approach and I think I'll follow it.

swoll1980
April 10th, 2009, 05:15 AM

ninjapirate89
April 10th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Zip, Zilch, Zero

smartboyathome
April 10th, 2009, 05:18 AM
rav tux is the only person to have the honor of being on my ignore list.

Was this from a while ago? He's been banned for more than a year now I think.

could you please go back and take his name out? i don't want this thread to get out of hand. no names please. heck, i'm sure i might be on a couple lists myself.

RAV TUX is banned (don't hatch up the age old argument, it was controversial), so mentioning his name is not a problem.

wolfen69
April 10th, 2009, 05:20 AM
i guess i'm the wierd one, huh? oh well.

Methuselah
April 10th, 2009, 05:21 AM
None. But after this thread reminded me it exists and one other irritated me, I started considering it.

Not really though.
if I ignore anyone I'll just have to click on an extra link to see their posts.

I might avoid clicking on a thread if it gets stupid.

Icehuck
April 10th, 2009, 05:22 AM
i guess i'm the wierd one, huh? oh well.

You have your reasons and it's a feature of the boards so I wouldn't call it weird.

wolfen69
April 10th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Was this from a while ago? He's been banned for more than a year now I think.

RAV TUX is banned (don't hatch up the age old argument, it was controversial), so mentioning his name is not a problem.

to be honest, i never thought much of it. i'm just enjoying jaunty.

swoll1980
April 10th, 2009, 05:30 AM
I've thought of it a few times, but even a broken watch is right twice a day, and I would hate to miss something insightful.

inobe
April 10th, 2009, 05:36 AM
i would never do such a thing, everyone is entitled to there opinion, if one decides to block someone i hope it would be more serious than a disliked comment.

MasterNetra
April 10th, 2009, 05:40 AM
None here. Haven't even come close to needing to put someone on. O.o

CraigPaleo
April 10th, 2009, 05:42 AM
None

Methuselah
April 10th, 2009, 05:46 AM
i would never do such a thing, everyone is entitled to there opinion, if one decides to block someone i hope it would be more serious than a disliked comment.

I dunno...everyone certainly entitled to his/her opinion.
However, everyone's not entitled to my listening ear.

There are many people who have opinions I'd rather not hear.
Not here though; nothing people say here can be truly offensive and not break the rules.

etnlIcarus
April 10th, 2009, 06:23 AM
People must have rather a thin skin if they feel the need to shut-out people they find offensive/annoying.

I've never blocked anyone on any forum. Arguments are usually a good thing; it's the only way you can resolve your differences/put an idiot in his place.

-grubby
April 10th, 2009, 06:28 AM

haiku88
April 10th, 2009, 06:35 AM
none at all here, never felt the need....but the ignore option does sometimes serve a valuable function, have several astoundingly obnoxious posters on ignore elsewhere (on a cycling forum fwiw) and it makes using the forum much more pleasurable....

tjwoosta
April 10th, 2009, 06:55 AM
none...

i prefer to hear what people have to say, even if i dont agree with it

i have a fairly open mind, if i hear something i dont agree with i usually just try to see things through their eyes as best i can

i find that often times people have an amazing ability to surprise me

and besides everyone is entitled to their opinion

if its something offensive, annoying, or immature that they are saying, ill usually just disregaurd it

i suppose the only time i would ever use the ignore list would be if somebody was spamming me with pm's or something (in which case they would probably get banned or something anyway)

People must have rather a thin skin if they feel the need to shut-out people they find offensive/annoying.

I've never blocked anyone on any forum. Arguments are usually a good thing; it's the only way you can resolve your differences/put an idiot in his place.

+1

sadicote
April 10th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I would never do such a thing! Would be repugnant to the meaning and spirit of Ubuntu.

bapoumba
April 10th, 2009, 09:17 AM
Threads merged.

billgoldberg
April 10th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Didn't even know there was an ignore list.

But what's the point of frequenting Internet forums when you don't see the occasional troll?

I find it amusing.

mips
April 10th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Two users, one has since been banned. There was a stage where I wished the ignored list also worked on mods but siad mod has also been banned.

Looks like people I want to ignore end up being banned :lolflag:

steeleyuk
April 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM
One, the guy absolutely drives me nuts when I had to read one of his posts...

sanderella
April 10th, 2009, 12:21 PM
If someone is really offensive the best thing is to report it to the mods, because other people could be offended, too. I have no-one on my ignore list, but I have reported a couple of abusers to the mods.:( Beware of sanderella the self-righteous.:KS

khelben1979
April 10th, 2009, 12:31 PM
None for me.

etnlIcarus
April 10th, 2009, 02:30 PM
If someone is really offensive the best thing is to report it to the mods, because other people could be offended, too.Someone outright baiting, I can perhaps understand. Offensiveness isn't something in itself to be policed; the onus really should be on the offendees to handle other's self-expression maturely.

yabbadabbadont
April 10th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I don't think that you can ignore mods/admins... so there really isn't any point in using it. :twisted:

:D

lisati
April 10th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Never needed the blacklist on the forums, very rarely needed it with email.
The trouble with a "whitelist only" system would be the need for some kind of quarantine system, otherwise how would the whitelist get populated?

BGFG
April 10th, 2009, 09:36 PM

have to agree. I have horrible short term memory so I might strongly disagree with you today then +1 you tomorrow.
I tend to treat a post as just that, a post and not use it to judge a user.

When i was younger, I would have a rough argument with my sis, then go back a couple hours later trying to chat, and wonder what i could have POSSIBLY done for her to be so mad at me :) TERRIBLE memory....

handy
April 11th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I ignore 99% of the UF's these days, fortunately my discernment is not restricted by a list.

I certainly do agree with yabbadabbadont's statement regarding mods/admins, or at least some of them any way... ):P

kk0sse54
April 11th, 2009, 05:13 AM
None, I didn't even know about it until know....

HappinessNow
April 11th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Zero, all though I would consider ignoring those who use the ignore feature. ;)

gnomeuser
April 11th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I have one person on my list, but I no longer think that person is even active on the forums.

I am quite fond of the ignore list, it is a fine alternative for me to avoid having my blood pressure elevated needlessly reading posts of such a consistently uninformed nature. When such people utterly refuse to have a reasonable debate or realise that they are venturing into the land of knowing repeating untruths I like being able to ignore them completely rather than seeing them banned. There is room for everyone, if people ignore such people they will slowly realise the err of their ways and they will re-examine their position, unlike when they get banned in which case they will feel like martyrs and feel empowered to go on even more uninformed ignorant rants.

darrenn
April 11th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I am tempted to put my arch enemy darrenm on my ignore list. Around three years ago I made a joke about how similar are user names are and he ignored me. Jerk.

gnomeuser
April 11th, 2009, 10:10 AM
I am tempted to put my arch enemy darrenm on my ignore list. Around three years ago I made a joke about how similar are user names are and he ignored me. Jerk.

Shifty character that darrenm.. I propose a cold war approach to this conflict. Plus it is a good chance for me to try out this doomsday device. Win-win

darrenn
April 11th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Shifty character that darrenm.. I propose a cold war approach to this conflict. Plus it is a good chance for me to try out this doomsday device. Win-win

Ha,ha it's good to see someone got my joke.