PDA

View Full Version : Linux - get the facts... (Yeah, right...)

whitefort
February 15th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I've just discovered this.

Type 'Linux' into a Google search, and see what's the first (sponsored!) link on the list!

_simon_
February 15th, 2007, 05:45 PM
It changes but after 6 refreshes I think I saw the one you mean.

Linux
Read in-depth 3rd party performance
analysis of Linux & Windows.
www.microsoft.com/getthefacts

whitefort
February 15th, 2007, 06:04 PM
It changes but after 6 refreshes I think I saw the one you mean.

Ok. I've been googling all afternoon, and every single search that included the word 'Linux' brought (and is still bringing) up that result.

I must just be SPECIALLY unlucky!! :)

shareMenaPeace
February 15th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I like Vista. There I said it. Faster, more reliable, more secure, more intuitive and better looking than any desktop system I've used.
Port 25 - Insights and analysis from the Open Source Software Lab at Microsoft.
http://port25.technet.com/archive/2006/12/11/the-15-most-useful-technologies-for-me-in-2006-updated-format.aspx

Well so they obviously never used linux before :)

meng
February 15th, 2007, 06:11 PM
That's why it's a sponsored link. At least Redmond didn't googlebomb the term Linux.

Somenoob
February 15th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Let's make a webpage with quotes from people who chose a Linux-based server over a Windows one. There visiters can get the facts.

meng
February 15th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Let's make a webpage with quotes from people who chose a Linux-based server over a Windows one. There visiters can get the facts.
Yeah, or else we could spend our time doing something productive. :D

Sunflower1970
February 15th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Really? Reliability?

Yesterday some of our Windows servers were hit by a very nasty virus. Two of them had to be taken offline.

Yeah. Real reliable....

raffytaffy
February 15th, 2007, 06:42 PM
ughh im real sick os seeing microsoft try to put down linux. im not the kinda person to anger easily but their lowlife tactics are sub par.

SZF2001
February 15th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Microsoft burnt down my village and killed my wife and children. :mad:

ablablablablabla
February 15th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Microsoft burnt down my village and killed my wife and children. :mad:

:popcorn:

Mr Wrath
February 15th, 2007, 07:04 PM
I'm quite tired of all the freakin advertisement that Microsoft has been putting out on this windows vista junk. Microsoft is just trying to push people around and it is annoying to see them using crud like this to persuade people. I set up my company's servers in no time at all. I tried to set up a Windows server specifically for Quickbooks only, but it wanted to control the whole network...ha, my backside. I ended up killing the WinServer 2003 and installing XP Pro on the same box and using a samba connection. Every security hole in Windows has been exploited, hacked, jammed with viri, and Microsoft's way of solving the problem is...nothing. 'Let's release a new OS, we'll call it Vista; and as in the past we'll say that it is the most secure OS out on the market.' The public -- "it's about time, I'm upgrading". The company asked what I wanted to do with the computers...switch to Vista or stay with XP Pro...XP Pro, is going to be around for a while. How pathetic. Sorry for the rant...For any of the moderators...if you feel this is harsh or irrational...please contact me.

Mr Wrath
February 15th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Ubuntu is one of the easiest and longest lasting server solutions that I have found

Debian has been the longest lasting and most solid.

*NIX in general is the best.

Mateo
February 15th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Yet another reason to use yahoo.

tigerpants
February 15th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Yet another reason to use yahoo.

Use Altavista. All the search engines use their patents anyway, and they aren't as annoying as Google or Yahoo.