PDA

View Full Version : Teenager Develops User Friendly GNU Linux OS

weekend warrior
May 22nd, 2005, 06:48 PM
An inspiring story here! (http://www.cxotoday.com/cxo/jsp/article.jsp?article_id=3903&cat_id=913)

and the distro website
http://www.slynux.co.nr/

Anyone tried it? It's a LiveCD, I'm going to d/l now....

weekend warrior
May 22nd, 2005, 07:10 PM
Hmmm... 404 Not Found

I guess he's not ready for people to d/l just yet or maybe he got flooded with requests and hit a bandwidth limit after the story ran. Guess we'll have to wait.

ケイト
May 23rd, 2005, 03:05 PM
It's only a version of KNOPPIX with renamed applications.

weekend warrior
May 23rd, 2005, 09:16 PM
Ok but I think the point was that he's a 15 year old kid from a small Indian town with no resources or money and he not only managed to teach himself, but also get involved, think about other newbie's needs and release his own distro. That's what I thought was impressive.

I don't know what you were doing at 15 but I certainly wasn't building websites and releasing a distro of any kind. :-P

Well actually when I was 15 Linux didn't exist yet, I was typing out games in Basic on a C-64 or the Apple IIe at school :neutral:

ケイト
May 23rd, 2005, 10:40 PM
To put it bluntly, I am 15 years myself.
And I am glad no one has ever guessed that before, because it must mean I'm not one of the stupid kids, the average 15 year old.

The guy's attitude and spirit is great! I like that in him. Unfortunately, I don't think the same of his product. I'd easily modify KNOPPIX and call it ケイトLinux, but that wouldn't make me a computer genius, would it?

XDevHald
May 23rd, 2005, 10:47 PM
To put it bluntly, I am 15 years myself.
And I am glad no one has ever guessed that before, because it must mean I'm not one of the stupid kids, the average 15 year old.

The guy's attitude and spirit is great! I like that in him. Unfortunately, I don't think the same of his product. I'd easily modify KNOPPIX and call it ケイトLinux, but that wouldn't make me a computer genius, would it?
Not at all, the whole point is that he did something on his own by re-implimenting the context and modifying the code from the backend. It's not that hard to do that, I could easily do that myself and make a new name for it, but please do so in a copyrighted approved matter from the owner of the distro, lawsuits are high in things such as distributing same the same product but tweaking it without permission from the owner(s).

This post of mine doesn't cover all areas of what you were asking, but it might qualify for a all in one answer to your question.

Mart
May 24th, 2005, 03:32 AM
I don't think the kid called himself a genius. As with all press they want to "make" a story. From the looks of it they just made a young kid a target when all he really did was modify something to make it easier for himself and others. What is really interesting is the nasty emails he received calling his website childish (he is only 15) and his distribution a waste of time. If he can do what he did with limited resources just think what he could do with what the average american 15 yr old has.