PDA

View Full Version : News from Mark: Financial and thecnical support to Nouveau project

BrokeBody
February 15th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Good news from Mark. :)

http://planet.ubuntu.com/heads/sabdfl.png

"We will actively support Nouveau and other efforts to develop free software drivers that enable the requisite functionality. I am happy for folks working on these efforts to contact me directly or to follow the community channels in Ubuntu. Either way, we will provide financial and development support for those groups and will integrate their work as soon as it does the necessary hardware magic. Proprietary drivers are not the preferred solution and will be eliminated once the community delivers a free alternative.

We will work closely with the hardware vendors concerned, and part of that will be to continue to make the strong case in favour of free drivers.

In addition to all of this, we have restarted the effort to produce a flavour of Ubuntu that includes no proprietary drivers or firmware at all. In fact, this flavour will take an ultra-conservative approach to all forms of content on the .iso, whether that be artistic or code. More on that initiative later."

BrokeBody
February 15th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Yay! :KS

darkhatter
February 15th, 2007, 04:58 PM
so this means open source drivers but less hardware support. I see it as neutral

BrokeBody
February 15th, 2007, 05:43 PM
No. This means free drivers and even more hardware support. :)