PDA

View Full Version : Back after 8 months... Edgy Install

shane.reid
February 15th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Well, I last had 6.06 (betas) installed on my laptop an HP DV5020us early last year.

I had to switch back to windows for a while for work, but I finally got everything I needed working under a Linux solution again, so I reinstalled Ubuntu (after a short while with opensuse)

I should mentioned that while I reinstalled Ubuntu, OpenSUSE is the most polished and business-y linux distro I've ever used.

I look forward to slab, and the new control center - and I wish we had a Yast2 equivalent.

That said, I just prefer Ubuntu, so I put Edgy on - I didn't keep up with the development cycle for it, but what happened?? Edgy is by no means... edgy!!!

That said, it works very well on my dv5020us. I had to use ndiswrapper with my broadcom 4318, and I had to install the binary ati drivers to get beryl working (which works flawlessly).

Glad to be back though - and my wife and I are having a baby and I just ordered the baby crawler from the ubuntu store, so that should be a fun sight!!

Kateikyoushi
February 15th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Welcome back and congratulations for the baby, my girlfriend is getting back to PC after a month Mac and I am also looking forward to the arrival of her new notebook to put linux on it :)

IgnorantGuru
February 15th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I started out with SUSE and it is pretty good. But moving to Ubuntu cleared up a lot of mysterious problems. I also find the software maintenance and installation on Ubuntu is far superior - Adept is a marvel compared to Yast - I was constantly hunting for dependencies and dealing with conflicts when trying to install software in SUSE. Hardware maintenance may be a little more advanced in SUSE, but half the time it didn't work without tweaking anyway. I've actually had better hardware results in Ubuntu.

I had been thinking of trying something else, and when SUSE made their deal with Microsoft that was the end for me. I always found SUSE a little too corporate and overcomplicated - kind of a Microsoft wannabe. (K)Ubuntu fits me much better. (If you used KDE in SUSE, give Kubuntu a try.)