PDA

View Full Version : WIFI on the water

thetido
February 15th, 2007, 07:09 AM
So I'm scratching my head trying to find a solution. I'd like to be able to take my work on the road...and out onto the water with me, but it's hard to maintain an internet connection in such circumstances.

But I have an idea: on the boat, I'm within range of my mobile provider's network (Verizon). For just my laptop, I can connect my phone (Motorola RAZR v3m) via mini-USB to my laptop and use a tethered connection to get internet access. The trick is I need to be able to connect multiple laptops (2). How can I share this connection across more than one laptop? Is there a way for me to connect the phone via usb and then connect via ethernet to a router's wan port and have it share the network? Or is there a way to turn my laptop's wifi into a router itself? Any ideas?

dbbolton
February 15th, 2007, 07:17 AM
someday, we'll put wifi on the moon.

computers + water = bad

thetido
February 15th, 2007, 07:22 AM
It's a good sized sailboat with a closed and dry cabin. Unless the boat is sinking, my laptops won't get wet. And if the boat is sinking, I won't really care about the laptops.

dbbolton
February 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM
i always bring potato chips with me on a boat. because if i'm going to drown, i'm going out quenched. -demetri martin

mips
February 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Well i assume you are using some cellular mobile connectivity like 3G, GPRS etc.

You can simply set up internet connection sharing to get other PCs online.