PDA

View Full Version : Well... it was fun :)

feed_sparky
February 14th, 2007, 04:51 AM
I have used Ubuntu for about a month now, then I decided to download OpenSuse 10.2... Well let's just say that I deleted all of my partitions and am only using OpenSuse now :) . Everything just seemed to work better with my laptop (even the remote works). So I'll still troll, but I'm a Suse fan now!

the_darkside_986
February 14th, 2007, 05:17 AM
I used to use openSUSE 10.1 but it sucked majorly at figuring out what to do with my graphics card(s). For ATI X200... draw a weird scrambled random color screen. For nvidia 7300 GS... draw nothing at all. I did fix it by setting the driver to vesa... after pushing TAB after random letters in a dark, scary failsafe terminal boot. Then i installed the proprietary drivers. Ubuntu recognized by wireless immediately (highly surprising for any distro to do that) but openSUSE needed me to download madwifi and build+install it from source.

I think my main issues with openSUSE were somehow associated with the fact that suse is more KDE-oriented and I liked using gnome instead. But everyone must pick whatever works best for them.

BWF89
February 14th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Is there a website where I could view the packages in the SuSE repositories?

Anthem
February 14th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Suse is a nicely engineered piece of software, no doubt. It's in a class ahead of everything else. The only thing is that I HATE HATE HATE their package management. It's been broken for years. They don't even need to switch to APT... yum is fine. They just need to really buckle down and fix their repositories.

And a 1-CD install would be nice.

CCBalla10
February 14th, 2007, 06:24 AM
I have used Ubuntu for about a month now, then I decided to download OpenSuse 10.2... Well let's just say that I deleted all of my partitions and am only using OpenSuse now :) . Everything just seemed to work better with my laptop (even the remote works). So I'll still troll, but I'm a Suse fan now!

That's perfectly fine! I'm glad you found the distro for you. But for me it's all about the Ubuntu!

steven8
February 14th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Amen to that! I've really thought about giving 10.2 a try, but the download for the disks keeps me putting it off.

Anthem
February 14th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Amen to that! I've really thought about giving 10.2 a try, but the download for the disks keeps me putting it off.
That's exactly the thing. It seem so obvious to me. If you want to enable a 5-CD install, that's fine. But make it so you only need the first CD to get up and running. I'd rather pull the latest from the web anyway. SUSE was started when that kind of bandwidth was rare, and so what you wanted to do was give out massive amounts of CDs in your boxed set.

The world has changed! Give me a 1-CD install, and let me download the rest!

The Noble
February 14th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Who needs five cds when one is enough? I don't feel like uninstalling half of the software, then upgrading the other 2 gig. If they had a one cd install I would actually try it, but right now it is way out of my league.

Titus A Duxass
February 14th, 2007, 07:50 AM
That's exactly the thing. It seem so obvious to me. If you want to enable a 5-CD install, that's fine. But make it so you only need the first CD to get up and running. I'd rather pull the latest from the web anyway. SUSE was started when that kind of bandwidth was rare, and so what you wanted to do was give out massive amounts of CDs in your boxed set. -If you look on the SuSE site you will find a Internet Installation CD which exactly what you are describing.

I agree with the packaging manager comments, YAST is a little strange. You can install apt on SuSE though.

steven8
February 14th, 2007, 07:58 AM
-If you look on the SuSE site you will find a Internet Installation CD which exactly what you are describing.

I agree with the packaging manager comments, YAST is a little strange. You can install apt on SuSE though.

They have an internet install cd?? I'm on it. I'll try it in the morning. Don't know how I missed that!!

Thanks!

tehhaxorr
February 14th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I'm the exact opposite, i came from Suse to ubuntu... I HATE RPM, long live the deb system.

gruffy-06
February 14th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Suse is a nicely engineered piece of software, no doubt. It's in a class ahead of everything else. The only thing is that I HATE HATE HATE their package management. It's been broken for years. They don't even need to switch to APT... yum is fine. They just need to really buckle down and fix their repositories.

Package management was OK when I used it, but seemed to be very slow.

In fact, openSUSE versions 10.1 and beyond are a lot slower than before.

Looks like openSUSE has already made 1-CD installs. Try searching for SUPER and SLICK on openSUSE. Other than that, you could possibly create your own single installation CD, but that could take a lot of time.

gruffy-06
February 14th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Is there a website where I could view the packages in the SuSE repositories?

For the openSUSE 10.2 packages:
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/repo/oss/

For the openSUSE Factory (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!) packages:
http://ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/

Open the suse folder. Each folder contains packages for different systems, ie. x86, ppc, etc. The noarch folder contains packages for all architectures. src contains the source code. These installation sources can also be used for YaST.

leeyee
February 14th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I like SuSE's beauty, but it is KDE specific. In my opinion, KDE is much slower than GNOME, altough I had disabled lots of services of it.

GNOME is neat, and faster. The most important feature for me to be stuck with Ubuntu is its gnome-oriented DE, and the faster update via apt-get.

SuSE is good, but for me, Ubuntu is better. :)

happy-and-lost
February 14th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Hey, as long as you're happy.

SUSE is a beautiful thing provided your hardware is fully supported (alas, mine is not).

Have fun :)

%hMa@?b<C
February 14th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Hey, as long as you're happy.

SUSE is a beautiful thing provided your hardware is fully supported (alas, mine is not).

Have fun :)
SuSE works well on my hardfware, I did get a livecd in a LINUX JOURNAL once, which I found to be kind of appealing, but what kind of put me off was to me it seemed to be more focused on good looks and gui than actual usability.

BWF89
February 14th, 2007, 03:00 PM
For the openSUSE 10.2 packages:
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/10.2/repo/oss/

For the openSUSE Factory (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!) packages:
http://ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-factory/inst-source/

Open the suse folder. Each folder contains packages for different systems, ie. x86, ppc, etc. The noarch folder contains packages for all architectures. src contains the source code. These installation sources can also be used for YaST.
Thanks. But doesn't SuSE have something like Ubuntu has where you can type in what your looking for and you get the same info for each package as you would get with apt-get?

gaspar
February 15th, 2007, 02:04 AM
Let me quote it again: Well... it was fun :)
But in a reverse way. So, I´m a big Ubuntu fan, and after reading about Opensuse 10.2 I decided to give it a try. Well, it really looks nice, but it isn´t for me. Applications take more time to open, the update system is sluggish, and using Yast to add repos and non oss were a bad experience. In a few words, Ubuntu seems to run faster - I do mean faster - in everything.
I´m still using Opensuse, but I don´t think it will last more than a week (time I give to try distro).
Again, it was my impressions, and I´ll stick to Ubuntu again :)