PDA

View Full Version : Deleting Icons

LongTooth
May 22nd, 2005, 01:53 AM
Please don't think I'm leaving Ubuntu but I'm playing with an another distro and need some assistance. Frugalware is the distro. I'd like to delete the desktop icons, ala Ubuntu:) I find I like the uncluttered, clean look of Ubuntu and I would like to do the same with Frugalware.

Frugalware was given a thumbs-up at Distrowatch. I though it was worth a look. And it is. Any help deleting those pesky icons would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

XDevHald
May 22nd, 2005, 02:01 AM
I'm not exactly sure, but here is a link that will help you out.

http://forums.frugalware.org/

Good luck with the new distro :)

LongTooth
May 22nd, 2005, 02:32 AM
Wow! That was quick. No, the link is of no help. I'm using Gnome desktop and this distro comes with the regular icons: Home, computer, floppy, etc. Since I've been using Ubuntu I find I like the clean uncluttered desktop and would like to do the same with Frugalware. So any tip? thanks.

edit:
By the way, this is a rather nice distro. So far all of the multimedia works. Comes with Gnome 2.10 and a whole lot of other stuff. Too much. Installed everything and it comes to 3.9 Gb. Way too much but I'm in the process of deleteing most of it.

Different package manager and that is the steep learning curve. But I'm just playing around with it. So, nothing ventured; nothing gained.

Not much of a community but it's a new distro and just getting off the ground. Great potential. Don't worry, I'll still be a Ubuntu fan. Lean and mean. That's my kind of distro:)

TravisNewman
May 22nd, 2005, 02:42 AM
I think he's directing you to the frugalware forums, since you're using frugalware-- but the question is a simple gnome question--

system tools -> configuration editor
inside configuration editor
apps -> nautilus -> desktop
there should be checkboxes for computer, home, trash, and drives, for whether they should be shown or not.

LongTooth
May 22nd, 2005, 05:28 AM
That did it! Thanks. I don't know if I'll keep this distro on my test box. It is an interesting one. Something to play with. Funny how I equate it with Ubuntu. Second release and not bad at all.

Anyway, your tip worked. I'l file that one away for future reference

Thanks.