PDA

View Full Version : Apps and such ...

Rene_S
November 8th, 2004, 12:00 AM
Howdy,

I was wondering, is it best to use Gnome only apps or GTK apps and not worry about getting KDE ones running or does it not make a difference?

The reason I ask is that for a couple of apps that I really like and use alot there seems to be no Gnome equivalent that I am personally aware of. One such app is Apollon File Sharing, I know that there is Limewire but that only works for Gnutella networks and not Fastrack (Kazaa) or OpenFT. Another app i like is K3B but I can't find one for Gnome that I like as much.

The problems I have here is running KDE apps in a Gnome Shell seems to scew up the odd time. So If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Rene

mark
November 8th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Howdy,

I was wondering, is it best to use Gnome only apps or GTK apps and not worry about getting KDE ones running or does it not make a difference?

The reason I ask is that for a couple of apps that I really like and use alot there seems to be no Gnome equivalent that I am personally aware of. One such app is Apollon File Sharing, I know that there is Limewire but that only works for Gnutella networks and not Fastrack (Kazaa) or OpenFT. Another app i like is K3B but I can't find one for Gnome that I like as much.

The problems I have here is running KDE apps in a Gnome Shell seems to scew up the odd time. So If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Rene
One of the shortcomings of the Gnome environment is the lack of a comprehensive CD/DVD burning app, such as K3B. For data and ISOs, I can heartily recommend the "native" capabilities of Nautilus. For audio/video, I'm at a loss, as I really don't do much with those sources...

If you have the time (and/or patience), I understand that the Gnome community has heard the cries for a flexible, all-purpose GUI for cdrecord , etc.

Regards,

Mark

zenwhen
November 8th, 2004, 03:37 AM
I require K3B to be installed on my system. Past that, I wouldn't touch anything that requires QT or anything related to KDE.

Rene_S
November 8th, 2004, 04:13 AM
Hmm, I was gonna do that but I am too adicted to Kaffeine hehe. (Bad Pun)
I also like Amarok a little more than Rythmbox although there is nothing wrong with Rythmbox. I am gonna give the mono app written by the Rythmbox guy a try.

zenwhen
November 8th, 2004, 04:20 AM
I recommend Music Player Daemon (musicpd.org/) along with its GMPC front end above all other music players. Its takes maybe five minutes to set up, and after that is just the easiest way to deal with your music collection.

In place of your KDE video app, I'd recommend Gmplayer.