PDA

View Full Version : Deleted my windows partition, using the free space to build LFS!

RChickenMan
February 13th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Yes, this is a frivolous, unnecessary post; however, it only happens once in the life of every Linux user and I feel like I need to share the good news with someone (trust me, my friends don't care). I'm using the extra hard drive space to construct a Linux system from scratch (MS to LFS... kind of polar opposites, wouldn't ya say?).

The only thing I need windows for is to interface with something called a Spartan board for my embedded systems class, and sure enough, it all works just fabulously under VMWare. The fact that I am able to use a very comprehensive suite of software which interfaces with a very obscure piece of hardware is a pretty good sign that VMWare will work with literally everything I would ever want to do in Windows (and by "want" i mean "forced to", as in schoolwork).

Anyways, the LFS thing is going great. Every single thing I'm doing is 100% through the CLI. At this point, I've created the new partition, formatted it, downloaded the packages, and began setting up the development environment. I've already learned so much about Linux!!! I highly recommend LFS for anyone who wants to learn the ins and outs of Linux, regardless of your ability level (well, maybe a few months of running Linux as your primary OS couldn't hurt. My mom probably couldn't do it...). The book is extremely well-written and will not leave you in the dark. In addition to the educational value, it is unbelievably fun! I'm not a video game nerd, so I'm not used to that whole staying up late at night using my computer, but that's what happened when I started building LFS! It's addictive!

Anyways, just felt I had to share that. I wish I hung out with other Linux geeks in real life so I could have popped open a bottle of champagne to celebrate!

spamzilla
February 13th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Cooll I may do something like this in the summer. BTW what book are you referring to?

RChickenMan
February 13th, 2007, 11:18 PM
The book is called Linux From Scratch. Needless to say, it's released under the GNU GPL, thus freely distributed on the internet. Check out the website at www.linuxfromscratch.org.

Jammy_Stuff
February 13th, 2007, 11:24 PM
From doing a quick Google. I'm guessing he is referring to Linux From Scratch (http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/). It looks like good fun so I'll have a go when I've deleted my Windows partition.

spamzilla
February 13th, 2007, 11:26 PM
The book is called Linux From Scratch. Needless to say, it's released under the GNU GPL, thus freely distributed on the internet. Check out the website at www.linuxfromscratch.org.

Looks like a good challenge! Once I no longer require M$ for college, I'll find time to build LFS :D

Kateikyoushi
February 13th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I did that last year January for the second time, built the whole thing in gentoo, wasn't that entertaining nor educational and did not have enough time to finish making it my main OS, maybe that's what was missing. I should try beyond LFS someday.

Jammy_Stuff
February 14th, 2007, 12:28 AM
You say that you did it all through the CLI. I'd want to do it through the CLI too and I was wondering. What did you use as the host system? Ubuntu, LFS Live CD or something else?

RChickenMan
February 14th, 2007, 01:41 AM
Just my regular ol' Ubuntu that I use as my day-to-day OS. It's best to do it this way because it looks like this will be a several-week-long project, and I'm not trying to constantly reboot when i want to switch between building the system and doing other things with my computer. The main "advantage" of using the LFS live cd is that all of the pacakges/patches are right there, but this really isn't that big of a convenience considering you can download a tarball containing all of these from the LFS website.