PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy a laptop

zergberg
February 13th, 2007, 05:40 AM
I'm buying my first laptop soon, and wasn't entirely sure what was the best deal. I'm poor, so both of these are pretty low-quality regardless of how you look at it.

My first choice is a Dell Inspiron 1501. My configuration has a Sempron Mobile 3500+ (1.8GHz/512kB cache) with 512MB of 533MHz RAM, an 80GB/5400 rpm hard drive, and some sort of ATI card (Radeon Xpress 1150) that uses system memory. It also has a 24x CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive, a 15.4" WXGA screen, and a free recycling kit--not entirely sure what that is, but it's free. The battery is a 29WHr/4-cell Li ion. This laptop costs $604 total.

My second choice is a Compaq V6000Z with a Mobile Turion 64 MK-36 (2GHz/512kB cache,) 512MB of RAM with unspecified speed, an 80GB/5400 rpm hard drive, and an nVidia card that I'm pretty sure uses system memory as well (GeForce Go 6150.) Optical drive is the same, I'm assuming, though speed is again unspecified, as is the screen. Battery has 6 cells, wattage unspecified. This costs somewhere around $580.

Each comes with a copy of Vista Basic that I might use from time to time to Photoshop stuff, assuming it's not so horrible that I install 2k over it (the non-Aero theme is pretty damn ugly.)

I also intend to add another stick of 512MB from Newegg for about $40 if possible.

As far as I can tell, the Compaq is a better deal, and it looks like other people have been able to install Ubuntu on it, albeit with some difficulty--unless I'm missing something important here. Any suggestions/comments?

scrooge_74
February 13th, 2007, 06:28 AM
If you could try a Live CD on them you could have a better idea. Check the web for hardware issues like the ATI video card.

If you go with Linux you really dont need to add more RAM. And if you dont acept the EULA you can ask DELL for a refund for the cost of MS VISTA

tubasoldier
February 13th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Stay away from ATI in laptops. I have had nothing but major trouble with ATI cards. Check out system76 as well. You dont get a crappy copy of Vista but you do get a linux laptop.

rabid emu
February 13th, 2007, 08:24 AM
64-bit processors can be a bit of a hassle sometimes.

System 76 seems good for linux laptops but on the expensive side.

http://www.powernotebooks.com/ also sells really great quality laptops (Asus, Sager) and they sell without an operating system too. Some are expensive but if you want something fairly cheap you can customize them a lot. I had a great experience with them, they called when they had a problem with some of the hardware and even offered to discount the price due to a delay in shipping. Great service. They even used to support Linux and they have a forum on the site about linux compatibility with their machines.

aysiu
February 13th, 2007, 08:28 AM
This may be useful:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesLaptops

julian67
February 13th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Stuff that's boring when you buy it, like the 6 cell battery, gets very important when you use it (particularly when you see the price of extra ones). I'd go for the bigger battery. Other things that can matter over a long period might be how many usb ports and where they are. It can get very irritating to have wires trailing next to your optical drive or where you want to use the mouse. Also important might be where is the headphone/audio out?