PDA

View Full Version : Nine Inch Nails_3 concerts in Portugal

Onyros
February 13th, 2007, 03:22 AM
I just came back from the last of a trio of concerts by the Nine Inch Nails here in Portugal, and let me tell anyone that's waiting to see them that... you WON'T regret the experience.

It's the first time they've been here, unfortunately, because only now have I seen what I had been missing all these years of cancelled gigs, postponed dates, strange events leading to them not playing here before.

This was a great "vendetta" for me, personally. My favourite band up until these last few months had been TOOL for quite some time, but I became fed up of their demeanour on stage and what was actually a disappointing last album. The last straw was a concert I saw, also here in Portugal, which they suckered me into by claiming they'd be back after I saw them in June, thinking at least the setlist would be slightly different. (they played the exact same songs, but one, in the same mechanical way and very professional, but utterly cold, manner; FFS, Maynard, the lead singer, sang through a gas mask the whole time).

So I take Trent Reznor's incredible dedication and attitude towards the fans as my own personal revenge against what I thought was Tool's utter disrespect for the people who put them up there on the stage, playing for thousands all over the world.

Trent screamed his lungs out throughout the three nights, banged his head, threw mics, threw water bottles, sang Closer among the front row fans, rocked... he simply ROCKED.

Then there was Twiggy, with his cool & relaxed ways, still getting a little crazy this last gig; Adam was on fire, especially tonight, when he even finished it up by smashing his guitar in front of us all; Josh Freeze is an incredible drummer... The man is truly awesome.

In the end, this was a truly fascinating set of three concerts, an incredible live experience. They are probably the best live band I've ever seen, and I've seen a few.

LONG LIVE THE NINE INCH NAILS!

http://www.nin.com/current/photos/2_12_07.jpg

I can't wait for their new album, due in April :D

/me prepares to tattoo NIN on the back of his neck

noneofthem
February 16th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Hey Man!

I was just wondering if you got the story with "My Violent Heart"...

That song was found on a USB-stick left on a toilet at the Lisboa concert. Apparently it is supposed to be a Valentines-Day present from Trent. Best song he made since TDS was out in 1994. Love it. Check it out. Go on www.theninhotline.net for more details about what is going on at the moment.

Canīt wait for "year zero" and seeing them live again in April. :-)

Amir

Choad
February 16th, 2007, 07:18 PM
u dont like 10000 days? i thought it was pretty good.

not their best, but certainly not bad

personally, i cant stand NiN at all. *shudders*

~LoKe
February 16th, 2007, 07:30 PM
u dont like 10000 days? i thought it was pretty good.

I loved 10,000 days. And I'm addicted to NIN right now. I had "And All That Could Have Been" on repeat.

Onyros
February 16th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love all Tool albums, but I had come to expect much more from 10,000 Days. Apart from Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days which are quite ethereal/spiritual, all other songs are very down-to-earth, and I find them somewhat shallow. There's even one song I refuse to listen to (The Pot), which lyrics I find truly absurd.

My favourite album is Ænima, but my absolute favourite song is "Reflection", from Lateralus.

I'm not that much into Tool's recent change of style, they're more direct and less introspective, especially in terms of Maynard's lyrics. And I really hated seeing them live, that last concert was godawful in terms of their demeanour. I had seen them previously at Ozzfest and it was an awesome experience. That last one was everything but.

I've just subscribed to NiN's Spiral membership, that's how devoted I'll be to them after those incredible 3 concerts. Plus, they're back to making noisy/industrial music, the 2 new songs are brilliant. BTW... www.iamtryingtobelieve.com :D

Onyros
February 16th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Hey Man!

I was just wondering if you got the story with "My Violent Heart"...

That song was found on a USB-stick left on a toilet at the Lisboa concert. Apparently it is supposed to be a Valentines-Day present from Trent. Best song he made since TDS was out in 1994. Love it. Check it out. Go on www.theninhotline.net for more details about what is going on at the moment.

Canīt wait for "year zero" and seeing them live again in April. :-)

AmirIf you want Survivalism lemme know and I'll set you up, but it's out there all over the net ;)

Year Zero's viral marketing campaign is just brilliant, man... simply genius.

noneofthem
February 17th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Thanks, man! But I had "survivalism" 20 minutes after it was first played on the radio in the US. Thanks anyway... Hope to hear something new soon. Canīt wait.. this is exciting...

Onyros
February 24th, 2007, 05:19 AM
I suppose you have all new songs right now (the 3 of them, that is). BTW, are you, by any chance, a Spiral member? (my username there is the same)

How do you like the album, and the entire Year Zero movement, up until now?

I'm really hooked into "Me, I'm Not", it's an enthralling song, I'd like to hear more of those. As for "Survivalism", well... it fits the context, it'll probably make more sense within the entire album, but it's the worst among those 3. Curiosly enough, it was chosen by Interscope as the single, and rumour has it Trent leaked "My Violent Heart" the same day because that would have been his choice.