PDA

View Full Version : This is offensive!

malfist
February 13th, 2007, 12:13 AM
http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=450878
Check near the bottom of the thread. People are talking about the advateges and disadvanteges of Windows and how it 'great that windows ask you for confermation before an aministrative task', I sung the prasies of Ubuntu.

Then they asked for prices and I said
Ubuntu: $0.00, they even ship you the CD's, works like a charm too.

Then they removed it (ubuntu) and said that I wasn't allowed to talk about illegal things, like pirated software.

!

Well it is Visual Basic so go figure, java is far cooler (and portable) along with C++.

Choad
February 13th, 2007, 12:18 AM
wow

that sure is alot of ignorance from someone whos sig has all that impressive looking certification

malfist
February 13th, 2007, 12:24 AM
aye, it's sad isn't it.

teaker1s
February 13th, 2007, 12:26 AM
core cause of the problem is dealing with someone who thinks that anything other than their opinion is wrong. Your trying to reason with a brainwashed fanboy:mad:
Lets them carry on and spend some time with us on ubuntu forums where you are appreciated):P

Choad
February 13th, 2007, 12:35 AM
i love your tux avatar

if someone made a big poster with all the different tux's i would so buy one. i should submit that idea to somewhere...

FuturePilot
February 13th, 2007, 12:38 AM
That is sad, very sad. Look at that guy that said being against people making money is Communist. His username is Atheist. Isn't that Communist?):P

And how is Ubuntu illegal. That's really sad.:evil:

malfist
February 13th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Atheist is not very intellegent, I've argued with him a few times.

It could be considered communist because the ultimate goal of communism is no goverment and everyone shares, everything is owned by everybody.
But no, free != communism (note: if I wished to be VBish I'd have used <> instead of != to signify not)

FuturePilot
February 13th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Just stick around here. Everyone's much more friendly and more open minded.
Have some popcorn:popcorn:

malfist
February 13th, 2007, 12:49 AM
I replaced the Ubuntu back on there :P.
Yeah I know, this site is much cooler, a lot more friendlier. The only place meaner that vbforums is the forums at java.sun.com if you happen to demand an answer than ask, but I can understand that.

Thanks for the popcorn :P, I love popcorn, eespecially the totaly unhealth, extra extra extra buttery ones :P

jinx099
February 13th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Haha, I just logged in with bugmenot to post there. Everyone here should do the same!

What a tool!

EDIT: LOL, my bugmenot user was banned 2 seconds after posting!!
EDIT2: And my post was deleted... so much for free speech.

manmower
February 13th, 2007, 01:23 AM
Haha, I just logged in with bugmenot to post there. Everyone here should do the same!

What a tool!

I happened to see your post before it got removed. All out insulting the guy and the company he prefers was a sure-fire way of getting banned and the same would happen here, so your free speech comment makes no sense to me. And I'm sure bugmenot users will be very grateful for your getting the account banned.

Nikron
February 13th, 2007, 01:28 AM
Have to agree with Manmover, you deserved the banning. Flamming was not called for, the mod simply made a mistake.

jinx099
February 13th, 2007, 01:33 AM
It's just biased censorship, I've come across many people like him before. I guarantee you if I called the Linux posters idiots and fanboys that my post would NOT have been deleted.

RAV TUX
February 13th, 2007, 01:52 AM
sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words...perhaps a screenshot of Ubuntu with Beryl would help?

FuturePilot
February 13th, 2007, 01:56 AM
sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words...perhaps a screenshot of Ubuntu with Beryl would help?
That would do it. Whenever I show Beryl to someone their mouth always hits the floor:lolflag:

maniacmusician
February 13th, 2007, 03:40 AM
videos would be even better.

grte
February 13th, 2007, 03:44 AM
That is sad, very sad. Look at that guy that said being against people making money is Communist. His username is Atheist. Isn't that Communist?):P

Uhh, no. They have nothing to do with each other.

I mean, calling someone communist is stupid anyways, it's an ideology and not an epithet, but communism and atheism are not related.

Hendrixski
February 13th, 2007, 03:49 AM

I mean, calling someone communist is stupid anyways, it's an ideology and not an epithet, but communism and atheism are not related.

Except that communists are atheists. And if someone believes in something that is wrong then their belief becomes their epithet. that is why we give NeoCons an epithet, or pedophiles, they believe in something, but we give them an epithet because it's wrong. the same applies to communism.

bebop_tango
February 13th, 2007, 05:42 AM

It's neither an ideology nor an epithet - it's a mode-of-production.

[-X

And on the religion issue, a proper term correlated with atheism would be marxism - though you can be an atheist and care less for Marx, like the dude on the VBForums.

:-|

weatherman
February 13th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Except that communists are atheists. And if someone believes in something that is wrong then their belief becomes their epithet. that is why we give NeoCons an epithet, or pedophiles, they believe in something, but we give them an epithet because it's wrong. the same applies to communism.
your comment doesn't make any sense at all and might even be offensive to some people.
first of all you don't seem to know what an epithet is: neither communist, nor neocon, nor pedophile are epithets.
second and most importantly you're confusing religious with economic believes: there are tons of examples where religious communities have organized themselves refusing private property, which falls under the name of religious communism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_communism .
edit: link to epithet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epithet

Jussi Kukkonen
February 13th, 2007, 01:49 PM

What a tool!

First, why on earth should everyone go to a VB forum to post unrelated things there, especially using a bugmenot account? Second, you should really think that "free speech" line through. A web forum is not a public place -- they have every right to moderate as they wish, just like the administrators here do.

Let's behave like adults, ok? Kicking down the other kids sand castle might have been fun back then and the Internet might enable us to continue that behaviour. Despite that we can try to behave.

EdThaSlayer
February 13th, 2007, 04:05 PM
That guy with the "Gangsta Yoda"(aka-RobDog888) has quite a few M$ signatures. He seems to be a "Microsoft Most Valuable Professional". That sure made me laugh.

megamania
February 13th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Simply put, you don't know what you're talking about.

Jussi Kukkonen
February 13th, 2007, 04:20 PM
The MVP program is nothing to laugh about actually -- it's one of the things Canonical/Ubuntu could copy from the dark side... It's a way for Microsoft to give recognition to people who know a lot about Microsoft technologies and help others out. There are two benefits from it that I can see:
1. the MVPs feel they're respected (some can even use the title professionally)
2. Trusting the advice of a stranger is a little easier if he has some credentials.

The forum-launchpad integration is a step that would enable something like this...

Brunellus
February 13th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Ladies and gents:

"free speech" means saying whatever you want to say on a server YOU CONTROL. If it's not your server, you can't really complain. You can, of course, always set up your own forums, or take your gripe to another forum with more liberal moderation--I recommend USENET.

There's no sense in trolling other forums if they refuse to acknowledge a simple truth. This discussion is over.

Thread closed.