PDA

View Full Version : Driving me mad!!!! The Apple ads in the UK

Tobster
February 12th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Who seen the Apple ads in the UK, with the two guys from the Peek Show (A cool UK TV show)
And it's hello i'm a Mac I almost virus free
Hello I a PC don't forget you virus protection

The other other ad go on about Office and the way Windows keeps cashing....

Can you see why i'm going crazy!

WHAT ABOUT LINUX!!!!! Get some Ubuntu and you be Virus free and have a desktop that does not cash and also don't forget Open Office!

Surely Apple can be done for faults advertising as Window and Apple are not the only two interfaces... In fact 11% of users are Linux and only 9% are Mac Users!

Nikron
February 12th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Technically the whole point is moot because a

PC(aka Personal Computer) == Mac, so I really don't know what the ad is supposed to mean =P

Window is an operating system....

Adamant1988
February 12th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Who seen the Apple ads in the UK, with the two guys from the Peek Show (A cool UK TV show)
And it's hello i'm a Mac I almost virus free
Hello I a PC don't forget you virus protection

The other other ad go on about Office and the way Windows keeps cashing....

Can you see why i'm going crazy!

WHAT ABOUT LINUX!!!!! Get some Ubuntu and you be Virus free and have a desktop that does not cash and also don't forget Open Office!

Surely Apple can be done for faults advertising as Window and Apple are not the only two interfaces... In fact 11% of users are Linux and only 9% are Mac Users!

No, I can't see why you're going crazy. You're not producing any kind of coherent thoughts here, and the statistics you're giving us are way off.

Brunellus
February 12th, 2007, 09:52 PM
No, I can't see why you're going crazy. You're not producing any kind of coherent thoughts here, and the statistics you're giving us are way off.
yeah. apple has 10%. Linux has 2.42 %. and 87.6 % of statistics on forums are completely made-up.

Hi, I'm a mod.

Tobster
February 12th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I got the figures from the Internet so sorry if they are wrong. The point is that Linux does everything that Apple say it superior to Windows that is true, but Linux offers all the same stuff that Apple are advertising in the Ads.

However Open Office as great as it is, I don't believe can match Apple's Office software so that the only expection

Tobster
February 12th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I got the figures from the Internet so sorry if they are wrong. Apple say it superior to Windows that is true, but Linux offers all the same stuff that Apple are advertising in the Ads.

However Open Office as great as it is, I don't believe can match Apple's Office software so that the only thing.

Guy has Ubuntu lovers support me. Sorry about the incorrect numbers just show not to trust everything you read on the net

aidanr
February 12th, 2007, 10:18 PM
WHAT ABOUT LINUX!!!!!

settle down, there are ads with mac, pc and linux

here you go
(http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/gaming.php) :popcorn:

zzzname
February 12th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Yeah, the thing is the ads were made by Apple which has vital interest in promoting Macs. Why should they bother mentioning Linux? Nobody pays them to do so.

Tobster
February 12th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I never seen a Linux ad in the UK! :( If I win the Lotto and become a millionaire I make sure that Ubuntu get a top ad :)

I know that Novell did one for SUSE but that not broadcast in the UK :(

v8YKxgHe
February 12th, 2007, 10:50 PM
yeah. apple has 10%. Linux has 2.42 %. and 87.6 % of statistics on forums are completely made-up.

Hi, I'm a mod.

ahah :lolflag:

kragen
February 12th, 2007, 10:56 PM
You cannot POSSIBLY compare linux and mac OSX in the context of an OS for the average computer user. As great as linux might be, and for all of its advantages over mac OSX in various respects, it simply isnt in the same leauge as OSX when it comes to usability, completeness and polish, and in fact just generally everything that makes mac's sell.

Please, Linux is great for people who have the time and knowhow to put the effort into making it work, I have no doubt that given time Linux will become far greater than OSX and vista / xp, but at the moment if you want to compare the 3, Linux is basically... unfinished.

I cannot stand it when people go off on one slagging off windows and OSX, you just dont seem to realise quite how good windows and OSX are! They might not be perfect, in fact they are far from it, but Linux is a damn slight less perfect, and it will remain this way until people focus less on mindlessly discrediting rivals, and more on improving Linux.

teaker1s
February 12th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I don't watch TV, my gf does-I'm only interested in the internet/books

Nikron
February 12th, 2007, 11:07 PM

here you go

... :lolflag: I got nothing else..

Brunellus
February 12th, 2007, 11:10 PM
You cannot POSSIBLY compare linux and mac OSX in the context of an OS for the average computer user. As great as linux might be, and for all of its advantages over mac OSX in various respects, it simply isnt in the same leauge as OSX when it comes to usability, completeness and polish, and in fact just generally everything that makes mac's sell.

Please, Linux is great for people who have the time and knowhow to put the effort into making it work, I have no doubt that given time Linux will become far greater than OSX and vista / xp, but at the moment if you want to compare the 3, Linux is basically... unfinished.

I cannot stand it when people go off on one slagging off windows and OSX, you just dont seem to realise quite how good windows and OSX are! They might not be perfect, in fact they are far from it, but Linux is a damn slight less perfect, and it will remain this way until people focus less on mindlessly discrediting rivals, and more on improving Linux.
OSX is excellent. They have no hardware compatibility issues, since only Apple hardware runs OSX. The rest is almost trivial.

Any further discussion will spin this thread into either the otehr OS forum or the LINUX IS NOT READY superthread.

Lord Illidan
February 12th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Bah, who cares

Nikron
February 12th, 2007, 11:15 PM
OSX is excellent. They have no hardware compatibility issues, since only Apple hardware runs OSX. The rest is almost trivial.

Any further discussion will spin this thread into either the otehr OS forum or the LINUX IS NOT READY superthread.

I like how 1/4 of all posts in the cafe eventually merge into the LINUX IS NOT READY thread. There should be a rule about this. Yes, I'm exagerating the number of threads... for effect you know..

Brunellus
February 12th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I like how 1/4 of all posts in the cafe eventually merge into the LINUX IS NOT READY thread. There should be a rule about this. Yes, I'm exagerating the number of threads... for effect you know..
no, you're good; we're all about reporting spurious statistics on this thread.

teaker1s
February 12th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Whatever adverts are on it's all marketing veneer and I don't believe any adverts-check the net and see what people who have bought it and their complaints. This way you can check quality and avoid miss-guided fanboy's

C-A
February 13th, 2007, 12:03 AM
I have been hoping that if Apple becomes successfully enough (through their ads and by offering a better product) to dislodge Microsoft's grip on the market, then Linux could step in. I believe that it will take a lot of marketing to get the average user to move away from Windows.

OffHand
February 13th, 2007, 12:08 AM
This is the stupidest thread I have read in quite a while :lolflag:

rev_b
February 13th, 2007, 02:27 AM

That is a misconception. A Linux system properly set and running gnome/kde is just as user friendly as Windows/OSX. Problem is, how many windows and mac users install their OS in the computer? Very few, most are already pre-installed.

Don't know about OSX, but installing and configuring Ubuntu in a computer is far easier to the computer iliterate than any windows flavor - vista included. So I fail to see your point.

lbyrd33
February 13th, 2007, 02:40 AM
Thats just not true. I love linux as much as the next person but having worked with all three OS's over the years, mac and windows are very easy to setup. For instance, around two years ago it would take a newbie over a day just to figure out how to play streaming media in a web browser on linux. While mac and windows are pretty much setup out of the box whether you buy it already on a computer or install yourself.

rev_b
February 13th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Thats just not true. I love linux as much as the next person but having worked with all three OS's over the years, mac and windows are very easy to setup. For instance, around two years ago it would take a newbie over a day just to figure out how to play streaming media in a web browser on linux. While mac and windows are pretty much setup out of the box whether you buy it already on a computer or install yourself.

Of course, windows has a live cd graphic installer, so you can see if it works properly with your hardware and install it from a "point and click" desktop, with a big icon named Install, it absolutely respects every other OS instaled offering a boot manager, it is very easy to install in RAID or SCSI disks, it installs sound card, network, TV tuner card, printer and scanner drivers by default.

Sure, windows is much easier to install and setup. Any average PC user will just put the cd on the tray, try to find a floppy with the disk drivers if not running IDE to press F6 during install, press F8 to accept the EULA, navigating with cursor and alt-tab if necessary, installing, get to the desktop on 800x600@60Hz, configuring your network, installing all the necessary drivers, antivirus and antispyware... sure.

v8YKxgHe
February 13th, 2007, 10:08 AM
rev_b, lbyrd33 - don't turn this into another Windows vs MacOSX vs Linux thread!

MoxJet
February 13th, 2007, 10:32 AM

here you go

Hahaha! »Linux - you'll play by yourself», that was great fun! »I am root!»

^_^

DoctorMO
February 13th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Well I fail to see what the problem is,

firstly Apple sell hardware not software; they use their software in order to sell their hardware because of the low quality of on sale operating systems in all countries.

So it's more like:

Hardware Arena - Apple vs Dell vs HP vs Lovero vs Acer
OS Software Arena - Windows vs Linux
Combined Arena - Apple+MacOSX vs Dell+Windows vs HP+windows vs Lovero+Windows vs Acer+Windows

So er no, Linux really doesn't compete against MacOSX unless you want to install Linux on apple hardware and most people arn't going to because the whole reason they got a Mac was because of the software.

If we would ever have a fair battle royal, Apple would have to spin out MacOSX into another business and have them sell it to work on all hardware.

tigerpants
February 13th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Re: the ads, its not really a fair representation, but then its not supposed to be - its supposed to be about promoting Apple.

PC v Mac is not the real issue - a Mac is a PC; same architecture. So it should be Windows v OSX, but that might lead Apple into a face-off with MS directly, and that would get messy for Apple, as it only has a fraction of the marketing cash that MS has.

MS used to be a client of mine (I used to do media monitoring and evaluation for tech and telecoms companies), and I covered the original X-box launch in Europe for MS. If MS got its marketing crap together it could obliterate Apple, but it basically can't get it self organised - there is no one coherent message from MS (it doesnt know what it wants to be - at the moment, its wants to please everyone, and you cant do that as you end up pleasing no-one). Apple, however, has mined the same marketing seam for years, and it works for them - basically, "apple is cool, cool people use it, cool people don't use PC's". MS has done nothing to counter this image. As for Linux, well, its not a commercial venture (by and large) and so its business model is non-existant. Servers are a different matter, as Linux is a viable business model, desktop wise, its small fry and niche.

Let's not get forget that Apple is still in alot of trouble. Its iPOD business bailed it out, its desktop market is not growing particularly healthily, and Apple's hardware has always been criminally unreliable (I know 3 apple users - all of them have had to have their Macs in for repair within 1 year of buying one). It was sued successfully last year by Creative for patent infringement, and there are share issues at management level that could also spell trouble for the company. The ads to me smack more of desperation than anything else.

mrphd
February 13th, 2007, 11:26 AM
WHAT ABOUT LINUX!!!!!

Click here... (http://fuhrerchan.be/ma/src/1157960476967.jpg)

slimdog360
February 13th, 2007, 11:35 AM

Hi, I'm a mod.

14% of all people know that

Sunnz
February 13th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Well clearly all UNIX(-like) systems have most of advantages listed in Get a Mac® Ads. Shall they just go list all of them??? I mean, Linux, BSD, Solaris, OpenVMS, Darwin, just to name a few. That would well defeat the purpose of the ad.

Get real.

You don't see Windows ad mentioning Macs or Linux neither.

When people see me using a Mac they ask me if I like Mac or PC better; but when I use Linux they ask if I like Windows or Linux better. They are different people too.

Most people who use Linux would not consider a Mac (with exceptions like me, and those who just put Linux on a Mac, I suppose.), and Mac people thinks Linux are "too complicated".

Their target audience is clearly Windows users who are considering getting something else. Linux being something 'hardcore', an average person would want a Mac because it is supposed to be simple. I know Linux like Ubuntu doesn't have to be 'hard', but that's what the general public thinks, and Mac isn't necessarily 'simple' neither.

Ok I probably have said too much today... peace.

purdy hate machine
February 13th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Consider yourself lucky they don’t mention Linux in these ads. I can see it now….

"Hi, I’m a Linux PC. None of this matters to me as all my user ever does is spend his time in internet forums arguing about which desktop environment is best and why his distro is superior to any other. "

](*,)

tigerpants
February 13th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Consider yourself lucky they don’t mention Linux in these ads. I can see it now….

"Hi, I’m a Linux PC. None of this matters to me as all my user ever does is spend his time in internet forums arguing about which desktop environment is best and why his distro is superior to any other. "

](*,)

Aye. that annoys me as well. Why linux users are so obssessed with "spreading the word" and "competing with MS or Apple" I'll never know. Why does it matter? I don't care who uses what, its not important to me. I couldnt care less if I was the only linux user in the world. Its the single most annoying thing about the linux community, its obssession with comparing itself to everything. :-k

pay
February 13th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Aye. that annoys me as well. Why linux users are so obssessed with "spreading the word" and "competing with MS or Apple" I'll never know. Why does it matter? I don't care who uses what, its not important to me. I couldnt care less if I was the only linux user in the world. Its the single most annoying thing about the linux community, its obssession with comparing itself to everything. :-kIf you don't like the way that Linux users are, there are other operating systems out there.

Sunnz
February 13th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Lol BSD comes to mind - they literally tell n00b to go use Windows if it is easier.

EvilMarshmallow
February 13th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I think the reason we (yeah, I've become a fanboy in about a month) do that is because we meet so few people who are actually aware of the great strides Linux has taken.

When you say "Unix" or "Linux" or some such, people automatically imagine the pasty geek who's got a face-tan from his monitor's light, who knows everything in the world about his computer and has never seen the light of day.

The guys I work with (who aren't IT people) said things like "why are you wasting your time? Just keep XP and get over it." when they found I was trying to switch.

Since then, I've wowed every one of them with the things I can do in Ubuntu... and I don't even know enough yet to be dangerous. One of them runs his own business out of his home and when I mentioned that I have yet to pay for any software that I needed, you can bet his eyes lit up. "FREE? Are you SERIOUS?". He likes to try & stump me... "How about Office? How about web browser? How about a music player?" Of course, some responses here are "OpenOffice preinstalled, Firefox preinstalled, rhythmbox preinstalled; plus you can get others if you don't like those".

That's why we become fanboys... because the average person on the street is conditioned to think that the only way to get things to work right is to spend big $$$ with Bill. Windows is no worse than anything else out there, but I've given MS enough of my money. How much is the learning curve worth?

Of course, there are people that I wouldn't recommend Linux to yet. They call me because their computers are "broken"... translation: their monitor's unplugged. These people won't be able to use any product on the market effectively, so I leave them in Windows where there are more support people to share the work :D

But someone who knows what they're doing? If they get past the learning curve (which is admittedly a little steep), they'll probably be much happier in Linux.

willskills
February 13th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I think the reason we (yeah, I've become a fanboy in about a month) do that is because we meet so few people who are actually aware of the great strides Linux has taken.

When you say "Unix" or "Linux" or some such, people automatically imagine the pasty geek who's got a face-tan from his monitor's light, who knows everything in the world about his computer and has never seen the light of day.

The guys I work with (who aren't IT people) said things like "why are you wasting your time? Just keep XP and get over it." when they found I was trying to switch.

Since then, I've wowed every one of them with the things I can do in Ubuntu... and I don't even know enough yet to be dangerous. One of them runs his own business out of his home and when I mentioned that I have yet to pay for any software that I needed, you can bet his eyes lit up. "FREE? Are you SERIOUS?". He likes to try & stump me... "How about Office? How about web browser? How about a music player?" Of course, some responses here are "OpenOffice preinstalled, Firefox preinstalled, rhythmbox preinstalled; plus you can get others if you don't like those".

That's why we become fanboys... because the average person on the street is conditioned to think that the only way to get things to work right is to spend big $$$ with Bill. Windows is no worse than anything else out there, but I've given MS enough of my money. How much is the learning curve worth?

Of course, there are people that I wouldn't recommend Linux to yet. They call me because their computers are "broken"... translation: their monitor's unplugged. These people won't be able to use any product on the market effectively, so I leave them in Windows where there are more support people to share the work :D

But someone who knows what they're doing? If they get past the learning curve (which is admittedly a little steep), they'll probably be much happier in Linux.

Amen, I switched approx 3 months ago - I am much happier with Linux than Windows

tigerpants
February 13th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Fine, but why the need to get evangelical about it? Linux has lots of innovate stuff, cool, but at the same time so what? I love Linux, but at the end of the day, its just a tool that helps me achieve tasks at home and at work. I don't understand why people are precious about it. If someone else chooses to use windows over linux then so what? How does that impact on a linux user? Its similar to the sort of people that eat ultra healthy food that get all pissy when they see me eat a bacon sandwich - why the hell should you care if I'm eating unhealthily? Why does it matter to you?

People are weird. I just think it would benefit linux users more if they spent less time worrying about what Jobs and Gates are doing and concentrate on what the linux community can do to improve the tools they choose to use.

alanandhispc
February 13th, 2007, 03:42 PM
i agree tigerpants, but you will always get people who want to shout louder than the other guy/gal. it's just been nutured into people to brag about what they have and why it's better. the joy of advertising.

the whole linux,pc,mac thing is equal to the "my car/house/*****/partner/job* is better/bigger/etc*" farce. (* delete as applicable)

it's a sad story, but comparison/critique can be a good thing when it's in the hands of someone who can act pro-activly about it, rather than just slating things.

i know where ubuntu falls a little short of the expectations i have for it, but in comparison to windows, it far outweights the funtionality and set-up of a windows system. for example, id like the ability to leagally own a dvd player for ubuntu (maybe where CNR will come in) and also for all the codecs, web-plugins, java to be installable through add/remove under applications. as i prefer to have things sit nicely in the tools/applications provided rather than having to install other configuration tools (easyubuntu & automatix), but then they work for people, including me, so i just get on with it.
i do think these things will be resolved in feisty if im led to believe correctly, which means a definate upgrade from me.

in the end, you have to let these people carry on as they are, as they will always be this way.
take for instance smoking, i think it's a disgusting habit, but i would not go out of my to pester them... after all, who am i to judge, as im sure i have failings that i don't/do see.
i would only say something if someone asked for my opinion (in this circumstance)

also, i currently still go into windows at home, for using ebay turbolister. and i use it at work... if i could have it any other way for work, i certainly would..

Alan

pay
February 13th, 2007, 04:18 PM
@ Tigerpants
Linux has almost 0 advertisements so the only way people know about it is from word of mouth. Is it that horrible that a few people talk about it? How did you end up finding out about Linux? I'm guessing someone told you about it or you read a review about it and became curious... I don't really care what OS or distro people use really, it's your choice. But if you don't know about the alternatives, then you really aren't making a choice are you?

tigerpants
February 13th, 2007, 04:42 PM
@ Tigerpants
Linux has almost 0 advertisements so the only way people know about it is from word of mouth. Is it that horrible that a few people talk about it? How did you end up finding out about Linux? I'm guessing someone told you about it or you read a review about it and became curious... I don't really care what OS or distro people use really, it's your choice. But if you don't know about the alternatives, then you really aren't making a choice are you?

Im not talking about word of mouth, I'm talking about evangelism. I've recommended ubuntu to several people as an alternative, but what I did not do is bang on about how crap everything else is in comparison and OMG! you are so lame for using ******* lolololololol crap that seems to permeate an awful lot of the linux community. It just makes the whole community look stupid.

Part of the linux "experience" is going onto forums, be it linux, Mac or windows based forums, to get advice on issues that affect me as a linux user - for example, how can I use my ubuntu box with a guy that uses OSX? To find that out I'll go to a mac forum and an linux forum. What I find alot of the time is an endless stream of idiots shouting at each other about which OS PWNZ0RZ the other. It's exasperating. And dull. And I just wish it would stop because it achieves nothing.

Like ive said before, I couldn't give a gnats chuff what people use to get their work done. Whatever works for you. But remember this, its an OS, not a cult.

pay
February 13th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Im not talking about word of mouth, I'm talking about evangelism. I've recommended ubuntu to several people as an alternative, but what I did not do is bang on about how crap everything else is in comparison and OMG! you are so lame for using ******* lolololololol crap that seems to permeate an awful lot of the linux community. It just makes the whole community look stupid.

Part of the linux "experience" is going onto forums, be it linux, Mac or windows based forums, to get advice on issues that affect me as a linux user - for example, how can I use my ubuntu box with a guy that uses OSX? To find that out I'll go to a mac forum and an linux forum. What I find alot of the time is an endless stream of idiots shouting at each other about which OS PWNZ0RZ the other. It's exasperating. And dull. And I just wish it would stop because it achieves nothing.

Like ive said before, I couldn't give a gnats chuff what people use to get their work done. Whatever works for you. But remember this, its an OS, not a cult.That isn't a Linux problem. There are plenty of people like that except on Windows.

Brunellus
February 13th, 2007, 05:00 PM
That isn't a Linux problem. There are plenty of people like that except on Windows.
there are windows fanboys as well. I live with one.

EvilMarshmallow
February 13th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Yeah, you'll find that fanboyish "MY ______ PWNZ URZ" for just about anything you can put in the blank. Like someone said several posts back, that sort of competition is hard-wired into humanity. That's why there are things like "dog spas" where Fido can get a mud bath and a massage that costs more than I make in a day... 'cause someone felt like they had to compete with their neighbor in a material sense.

Why be "evangelical" about my OS? Because they're my friends. I care that they're spending hard-earned cash on the latest, most expensive WinBloat when they don't *have* to. They only *think* they have to get it because that's what Microsoft has done for us. They've convinced people that they don't need to check into alternatives because it's just easier to stick with Windows.

rev_b
February 13th, 2007, 07:12 PM
I don't think it's about evangelism or fanboyism or whatever. Personally, I used windows for years, and I only use Ubuntu for 3-4 months. I know nothing about linux, compared with all the windows "tricks" I learned all these years. About linux, I just got very basic concepts.

Despite it, I could easily install and configure Ubuntu in 3 computers, and I can't stop being amazed by what can be done with free software, and the level of support this comunity provides. So yes, I talk about linux and ubuntu every time I can and feel apropriate, because I wouldn't know better before, also. Of course I don't enter a room and start "spreading the word", but whenever OS/computers/Vista talk is up, I do sometimes talk about linux.

So, as a newbie, I do disagree and tend to reply to posts with the aforementioned misconceptions.

Thrashers7989
February 13th, 2007, 07:14 PM

here you go

If I remember correctly, there were Linux ads set out by IBM a couple years ago. They debuted during the Super Bowl.

TheRingmaster
February 13th, 2007, 07:41 PM
There are some other videos by red hat. I would recommend viewing this one.

http://www.redhat.com/v/ogg/TruthHappens.ogg

Sunnz
February 15th, 2007, 02:09 PM
If I remember correctly, there were Linux ads set out by IBM a couple years ago. They debuted during the Super Bowl.
This one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZmJ63sHoKU&NR

Sunnz
February 15th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I don't know about you guys but when I was in high school, I can't and don't "evangelism"es Linux. I saw some some Red Hat CDs being sold in my local news agent and I simply asked my friends if they want to "dip in" money and buy it, their reaction was like "I WANT IT NOW!!!". Almost everyone just knew it is better!!! (We had really really slow internet back then and was impossible to download Linux.)

So yea, what happened all these years?? Did people evangelism too much about Linux?

Brunellus
February 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I don't know about you guys but when I was in high school, I can't and don't "evangelism"es Linux. I saw some some Red Hat CDs being sold in my local news agent and I simply asked my friends if they want to "dip in" money and buy it, their reaction was like "I WANT IT NOW!!!". Almost everyone just knew it is better!!! (We had really really slow internet back then and was impossible to download Linux.)

So yea, what happened all these years?? Did people evangelism too much about Linux?
Linux won.

In Server space.

The problem is that servers are the industrial machine-shop tools of the computing world. Vitally important to commerce and industry, but almost completely alien to unskilled common "men on the street" (or "men on the Clapham omnibus," or however you want to think about it).

Most users think computers and operating systems are all like the things that sit on their desk in the same way that they think a drill is that thing they keep in their household toolkit. They wouldn't have the first idea about industrial drill presses or servers.

The advertising was aimed at people who buy and use servers, but aired when the general public was watching. It generated buzz, but not much understanding. Expectations for desktop linux thus far overshot the actual ability of the platform (at the time, and arguably now) to deliver on those same hyped expectations.

Computing isn't the only industry that's tried this. At about the same time in the late '90s, chemical firms like BASF and DuPont had very high-profile advertising campaigns, even if regular, man-on-the-street consumers had close to zero direct commercial contact with those firms.

Ryzzen
February 23rd, 2007, 07:42 PM
These are a pretty good summary of this entire thread:

Security:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFAJDbV9Vfs

Portability:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQECwm3erEs

Upgrading:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-L-0s-7-Z0

...aaand the rest: http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/

:biggrin: