PDA

View Full Version : I'm sorry but i find this disgusting.

Lowe
May 21st, 2005, 01:52 PM
I'm really angry at how you handled this:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=35812

I'm sorry but i know arctic from other forums and he won't just make a fuss about something unless there really is something wrong, i agree with him on a lot of stuff the way this forum is moderated is disgusting. I just thought if i ignore the moderators i'll do ok, but after seeing how you treated arctic it struck a cord, i like ubuntu and i like most of the people in this forum, but how you (moderators) are handling things are really wrong. I feel really strongly against editing other peoples posts, there are better more efficient ways of doing things, just like arctic said a simple PM asking him to edit his post would be much better, the only time where i think you should edit/delete a post is if it's insulting/racist.

It's a real shame, ubuntu is a really good distro and there is a lot of nice and helpful people here, but when the moderation team just don't cut it, things will slowly fall apart. I would have to say out of all the forums i've been to EVER this is the worst moderated EVER. I don't plan to stick around and see you scare of even more members. I don't care if you ban me, go ahead, because i won't be returning anyway.

I seriously think the moderation team should be relooked at, perhaps adding someone who knows how to moderate a forum. I of course expect you to come in here all guns blazing, but i won't reply this will be my last post in the forum.

That is my opinion.
(First community i've ever seen to ban people for there opinions.)

Sam
May 21st, 2005, 03:58 PM
What is this mutiny ? The mods (as I saw) didn't banned someone nor deleting any post.

mtron
May 21st, 2005, 04:14 PM
i think the mods are doing a great job.

Keep in mind that they maintain a community with 21,486 members and try to respect the Ubuntu code of Conduct (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/conduct)

Unregistered
May 21st, 2005, 05:57 PM
I believe the mods are to be heartily commended, but in this case the means were unproductive and unfortunately destructive. I can see where arctic's first sentence in the "Respect for all users" thread could easily be seen as sarcastic, but from reading the rest of the post I don't think it was intentional.

The response was too much of a knee-jerk reaction for what was probably just wrongly phrased. We cannot go around simply reading in implied meanings wherever we look. This is just dangerous. For example further down that thread poofyhairguy wrote about freedom of speech:

"That is only given by the U.S. government"....

Now someone outside the USA like myself could read into this and take offense as well. But where does this lead to? Forums are notorious for misread meanings, it's an imperfect vehicle for communication. In fact panickedthumb picked up on this in the other locked thread in that forum section "When jokes go wrong" and handled it well.

Mistakes were made on both sides. Briefly skimming through some of arctic's recent posts, I found no history of blatently malicious intent, but rather helpful comments from a considerate member of the community. I would like to see an olive branch offered here by both sides.

Though many of us come from other forums and can compare how things work and the general "vibe" this is still a very young community with the vast majority of members only recently joined, including myself. Mistakes will be made, but they should be forgiven if truly no harm was originally intended by either side.

If either of you are reading this, here's your chance for a show of good faith :)

Unregistered
May 21st, 2005, 08:36 PM
I don't know, but I have the impression that the moderators should take a look at their very own posting guidelines, before behaving the way they did. They look to me like the real "offensive people" in this feud.

I am only a casual visitor, but it is not the first time that I saw moderators taking rather bad actions without a reason. And I took a look at the many posts of arctic and from what I can see, his posts were 99% correct, helpful and friendly. He even wrote a much used Howto! He WAS a valuable contributor to this community.

Given these facts, I feel that the moderators should know the core-members of their community better (Especially old-timers like arctic: He registered here in October 2004 (That is what his settings say). That is from the beginning of the forums and much earlier than some moderators!!!!), before disgruntling them.

PS: Sorry for casual mistakes. English is not my native language. :)

Miguel.

kassetra
May 21st, 2005, 09:20 PM
From the Forum FAQ:
WE ASK THE USERS ON THE UBUNTUFORUMS TO PLEASE FOLLOW THE UBUNTU CODE OF CONDUCT (http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/conduct) and....

1. Be polite. This is a end user forum community, moderated by ubuntu users.

2. The administrators will often ask for general input on forum changes, please respect their choices. Moderators will often edit posts as they see fit please respect their choices.

From the Ubuntu Code of Conduct:
Be considerate. Your work will be used by other people, and you in turn will depend on the work of others. Any decision you take will affect users and colleagues, and we expect you to take those consequences into account when making decisions. For example, when we are in a feature freeze, please don't upload dramatically new versions of critical system software, as other people will be testing the frozen system and not be expecting big changes.

Be respectful. The Ubuntu community and its members treat one another with respect. Everyone can make a valuable contribution to Ubuntu. We may not always agree, but disagreement is no excuse for poor behaviour and poor manners. We might all experience some frustration now and then, but we cannot allow that frustration to turn into a personal attack. It's important to remember that a community where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one. We expect members of the Ubuntu community to be respectful when dealing with other contributors as well as with people outside the Ubuntu project, and with users of Ubuntu.

*These are the guidelines of these forums. We ask that you be respectful of all people, which includes many people that do not even use Linux. Disrespectful attitudes toward any people are unwelcome, and will be moderated as such.*