PDA

View Full Version : php download

highneko
February 12th, 2007, 06:42 PM
I just downloaded a file from the ubuntu forums and it was php code. I think it's called "unparsed". Anyways, I'm wondering if that's a security issue and I should report this? I was always told that it this kinda thing is a security problem. Maybe vbulletin is secure tho?

Steveire
February 12th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I'm sure it's fine.

You probably downloaded a file like showthread.php or something? It's probably just the same html that you see when you look at view > source, or whatever it is in firefox. Send the file to a moderator or admin if you're concerned.

Have you been able to recreate it?

ubuntu-geek
February 12th, 2007, 06:49 PM
If you have this issue please clear your browser sessions.

kebes
February 12th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Yes I experienced the same thing. For about 10 seconds all the forum pages were not being parsed. I'm guessing they were in the middle of doing some kind of upgrade or switchover that momentarily broke the server.

Depending exactly what happened, this could be a security breach. (Sometimes the raw PHP contains passwords.) Is the forum staff aware that this happened? (Perhaps now would be a good time to change the database access passwords?)

highneko
February 12th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I'm sure it's fine.

You probably downloaded a file like showthread.php or something? It's probably just the same html that you see when you look at view > source, or whatever it is in firefox. Send the file to a moderator or admin if you're concerned.

Have you been able to recreate it?
Yes, it was the showthread.php. I was just surfing the forum then pressed the refresh button and it asked me if I wanted to save the php file. I knew this was most likely gonna be the unparsed file. So I thought it was be fun to download it and take a look, especially since I have been curious about vbulletin. It has the licence number and version info. I think that alone can't be a good thing. I have no idea what a licence number is tho.

Steveire
February 12th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Things like this and a whole lot more?

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html dir="ltr" lang="en">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />
<meta name="generator" content="vBulletin 3.6.4" />

<meta name="keywords" content="php download, ubuntu forums,ubuntu linux,ubuntu,linux fourm,ubunut forum,linux ubuntu,ubuntu support,ubuntu help,ubuntu linux help" />
<meta name="description" content="php download Ubuntu Cafe" />

<!-- CSS Stylesheet -->
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="clientscript/vbulletin_css/style-7a7f7573-00032.css" id="vbulletin_css" />

<!-- / CSS Stylesheet -->

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
var SESSIONURL = "";
var IMGDIR_MISC = "http://ubuntuforums.org/images/uf/misc";
var vb_disable_ajax = parseInt("0", 10);
function jabberwindow(userid, width, height)
{
return openWindow('sendmessage.php?' + SESSIONURL + 'do=jabber&u=' + userid, width, height);
}
// -->
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="clientscript/vbulletin_global.js?v=364"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="clientscript/vbulletin_menu.js?v=364"></script>

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Ubuntu Forums RSS Feed" href="external.php?type=RSS2" />

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Ubuntu Forums - Ubuntu Cafe - RSS Feed" href="external.php?type=RSS2&amp;forumids=11" />

<script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript">
</script>
<script type="text/javascript">
_uacct = "UA-361826-1";
urchinTracker();
</script>
<title>php download - Ubuntu Forums</title>
<script type="text/javascript" src="clientscript/vbulletin_post_loader.js?v=364"></script>
</head>

It's the html source code which firefox evaluates to build what you see on screen. Hit view > page source to see more.

~LoKe
February 12th, 2007, 09:30 PM
PHP is serverside and will never be served in a format that you can actually download. Anything written between the <?php and ?> tags will never be printed.

Crashmaxx
February 12th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Oh good, so I'm not the only one getting that today. I was messing with my squid config and thought I must have broke something. I was changing settings then all the sudden, I click on ubuntuforums.org and its like "Save As" and I'm sitting here thinking I broke something. Especially since I had a similar problem with Webmin doing that for no apparent reason.

Good to know its your server and not mine. :lol: