PDA

View Full Version : Stupid and possibly newb question

Thrashers7989
February 12th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Where do you guys come up with the names for Ubuntu (Dapper Drake, Edgy Eft, Feisty Fawn, etc...)? Just curious.

If you get these names from user suggestions, then I got a couple for the next release after Feisty Fawn. :)

Spr0k3t
February 12th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Yeah I was kind of "how odd" about this myself. Then I thought, wait a sec... it's alphabetical (Dapper, Edgy, Feisty), then realized there was no "Charlie Chan" edition and also made note of the Wharty release. I think it's just their way of describing what the final release should be like. Think about it...

Wharty - Full of bugs and rough around the edges
Breezy - Cleaned up quite a bit from Wharty
Dapper - Polished... cause "I'm a Dapper Dan man, what do you mean you have no Dapper Dan?"
Edgy - On the edge of development
Feisty - Still young, but coming into its own

So, out of curiousity, what did you have in mind for names?

Thrashers7989
February 12th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Well assuming after Feisty Fawn is a better release protecting the interest of the Linux user, it should be called Greater Good. Something that is already good is greater. It might sound stupid, but it would have meaning.

Or if you want it to sound COMPLETELY random, Greenland Gauge, or being from Georgia, Georgia Gaiden.

Now I feel stupid.

AAM
February 12th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Golden Goose
Gnarly Goanna
GNU Gnu
Gripey Gorilla
Gruesome Grub
Gangly Giraffe
Gorgeous Gargoyle

v8YKxgHe
February 12th, 2007, 10:35 AM
There's been loads of guess the next name threads :P Just do a search you'll find loads of suggestions :)

3rdalbum
February 12th, 2007, 01:02 PM
The next one will be an I release, not a G release (as Grumpy Groundhog is a developer's test release, and Hoary Hedgehog has already been released).

MattSMiddleton
February 12th, 2007, 03:50 PM
As previously stated, there are a lot of threads on this. Obviously to start they were going for alphabetic, but they seem to have adopted it. However, as again stated, G and H are already taken so the next release will probably be I, so now begins the fun w/trying to guess what they can do w/I, Ingenious Iguana ??

prizrak
February 12th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah I was kind of "how odd" about this myself. Then I thought, wait a sec... it's alphabetical (Dapper, Edgy, Feisty), then realized there was no "Charlie Chan" edition and also made note of the Wharty release. I think it's just their way of describing what the final release should be like. Think about it...

Wharty - Full of bugs and rough around the edges
Breezy - Cleaned up quite a bit from Wharty
Dapper - Polished... cause "I'm a Dapper Dan man, what do you mean you have no Dapper Dan?"
Edgy - On the edge of development
Feisty - Still young, but coming into its own

So, out of curiousity, what did you have in mind for names?

You missed Hoary