PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a mail client..

mikestefff
February 12th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Hey,

I am launching a website soon and im searching for a specific mail client. I have pop3/imap running so i can use something like evolution or thunderbird but id rather something webbased. i have squirrelmail installed but its pretty ugly. the site has 8 email addresses which i need to personally manage myself. is there a webmail client that can manage all of my email addresses at the same time like u can do in evolution, so i wouldnt have to open 8 browser pages etc?

Does that make sense?

Or something similar..suggestions welcome..

Thanks

Paerez
February 12th, 2007, 05:54 AM
How about using gmail to access your pop and any other mail?

mikestefff
February 12th, 2007, 06:03 AM
I have never used gmail before..can it handle what I am explaining? Does it handle IMAP?

I am just learning about imap/pop3..whats the difference? Isn't IMAP better? I was reading that deleting emails with am IMAP client actually deletes them from the server. Is that true? I like that..

Anything else besides gmail?

visible
February 12th, 2007, 06:08 AM
I have not tried it myself but in the accounts part of the settings, there seems to be an area where you can tell gmail to do what u are asking. Also gmail has an amazing amount of space available. and it is FREE.

Paerez
February 12th, 2007, 06:08 AM
IMAP's advantages over pop3:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imap#Advantages_over_POP3

gmail doesn't do imap:
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=10339&query=imap&topic=&type=f&ctx=search

Read through gmail's help for more info.

You can have gmail gather the mail from the server through pop and remove it from your server (putting it only on gmail). Then gmail can manage deleting and storing etc.

EDIT: Forgot to mention gmail can also send using your address, so it will say From: You@yourserver.com.

grte
February 12th, 2007, 06:54 AM
You may also want to consider using a text based client like mutt or pine, and use ssh to log into them remotely.