PDA

View Full Version : How to recover lost files after you accidentally wipe your hard drive

RAV TUX
February 12th, 2007, 01:31 AM
nice howto article if you need it:

http://servers.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/08/21/1558230&from=rss

rowanparker
February 12th, 2007, 02:03 AM
May come in useful sometime.
I didn't know it was so "easy".

Thanks Jozef.

Polygon
February 12th, 2007, 03:03 AM
i read that article when i was actually trying to figure out how to do this, but i didnt use it as it looked to me that it ONLY recovered files of the formats it supported:

[ ] dbf DBase 3, prone to false positive
[X] FAT subdirectory
[X] doc Microsoft Office Document (doc/xls/ppt/vis/...)
[X] dsc Nikon dsc
[X] eps Encapsulated PostScript
[ ] exe MS executable
[X] EXT2/EXT3 Superblock
[X] gif Graphic Interchange Format
[X] gz gzip compressed data
[X] jpg JPG picture
[X] mdb Access Data Base
[X] mov MOV video
[X] mp3 MP3 audio (MPEG ADTS, layer III, v1)
[X] mpg Moving Picture Experts Group video
[X] mrw Minolta Raw picture

sk8dork
February 21st, 2007, 02:47 PM
it should be noted that all of the files in the list, [X]'d or not, are supported. the guy posted the list to show what he selected versus what was available. so this utility won't be very useful for completely recovering all data on a drive, but most people consider the images, videos, or install files (exe's in the case of windows) to be most important. i know there are other important file types, but this is handy for free software. i did a bit of research when i had to recover some stuff from a formatted drive and i found that there wasn't anything available for free that would do the job. what i ended up using was restorer2000.

az
February 21st, 2007, 05:08 PM
I submitted this for the next version of the Official Ubuntu BOok:

How do I recover deleted files or lost files from a corrupt filesystem?

Foremost is a command-line tool which can recover files from a number of filesystems, including fat, ext3 and NTFS. It can be installed and run from the live cd.

Enable the universe repository and install foremost:

sudo apt-get install foremost

Assuming the lost files are on a USB drive (sda), you need to create a writeable directory on another drive where you can put the recovered files

sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /recovery
sudo mkdir /recovery/foremost

And then run foremost:
sudo foremost -i /dev/sda -o /recovery/foremost

The recovered files will then be owned by root. Change their ownership so that you can use them:
sudo chown -R youruser:youruser /recovery/foremost

You can see the manpage (http://foremost.sourceforge.net/foremost.html) for what file types it can retrieve.