PDA

View Full Version : Idea: linux hardware shop

PatrickMay16
February 11th, 2007, 06:58 PM
This is maybe not a good idea, or very risky and hard to pull off. Maybe it's already being done. Anyway...

As linux users, I'm sure we all know the annoyance of having to search down the hardware we choose very carefully, sometimes buying and then having to return and look for another, etc...

My idea is to start a hardware shop for linux users that would take online orders and deliver by mail, kind of like aria.co.uk or that newegg site. It would stock hardware whose manufacturers make drivers for linux available, or who make hardware info available so it's possible for the kernel developers to make drivers for it; a shop will nothing but linux-supported hardware.

Then, linux users could save the time of looking endlessly through different places, and just look at the linux hardware shop, knowing that everything there will work with linux.

What do you people think?

Tictman
February 11th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me I would shop there!

Ocxic
February 11th, 2007, 07:08 PM
sounds great to me aswell.!!

Adamant1988
February 11th, 2007, 07:16 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=352137&page=3

We're working on getting a HCL/Recommended hardware list together... with a "buy it now" button.

jam'ez
February 11th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Sounds good! Could also sell Laptops on there that are supported in Linux! (Because I have had laptop after laptop that have been a pain on linux :( )

I think there is a German shop, Tuxhardware its called?