PDA

View Full Version : Digital Rights Management

Tictman
February 11th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I have to ask this question. Where does ubuntu stand on the subject of digital rights management? I know this is a sticky issue, but with winblows going crazy with it in their new we are going to control everything on your machine os. It seems that they are trying to force this on all hardware manufacturers. Now I could care less about riping movies to my hard drive nor do I care about copying them, or for that matter watching them on my computer. I watch a movie once and that's enough for me. I do however have some friends who travel a lot business wise, and they will take along dvds to watch on their laptops. To me that makes sense.

What I'm opposed to is being told that I have to have a more and more bloated os, just because eventually all hardware is going to have to comply. I run Linux because I want a clean, stable, and reliable system, both in my office, and at home. I sounds like M$ is forcing this on the world. Funny thing is they can't even get it to work right themselves. The problem is most sheep, or ah people will just go out and buy V$ either on a new machine or, install it on an existing machine because they are told that they need it.

Lets face it if someone really wants to copy a dvd they will find a way to do it. Why should the Linux community bow down to M-cash.

If anyone is familiar with Steve Gibsons website, or Leo Laport, from the defunct Screen Savers show. They've been discussing it on Steve's site the audio is here.

http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

I also saw an article on the Open Hardware Foundation in issue 66 of Linux User, Developer mag. Now this would be a solution, but, and it's a big but. It seems that the way it's working out is that anyone can be suied for simply allowing anything to be copied using their hardware. Anyway that's the way it sounds to me.

Check out the link above and listen to the audio concerning DRM. Believe me it's pretty scary sounding.

mykalreborn
February 11th, 2007, 07:13 PM
you should also read this (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=355188) thread. maybe it will answer you question.
ubuntu is most certainly not going to use DRM music, because that would be against the whole concept of open source and of freedom and IMHO even against the slogan -linux for human beings.

BarfBag
February 11th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Ubuntu has some closed source software (and will have even more in the future), but it isn't going to start forcing you to use it. You can remove it easily - and since it's Linux, it will stay that way.

DRM is the opposite of open source and shouldn't be allowed in an open source system.

Tictman
February 11th, 2007, 07:26 PM
mykalreborn thnake I looked at that thread. I'm concerned about the push to force this into hardware by M$ check out the audio on Steve's site.

BarfBag, I agree.