PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get ubuntu to run off a loopback filesystem.

clyphox
May 20th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Hello,

I'm a newly converted Ubuntu user and enjoying the environment quite alot.

Recently I developed a small method of booting my PC off a normal usb mass-storage device, mounting the vfat filesystem and then booting the system off a loopbacked file. (TOTALLY beats having to repartition/UMSDOS plus its adaptable to stick the loopbacked FS into ramdisk (very nice and fast) or even just the hdd once I get ntfs going in RW mode)

However I simply can't get ubuntu to work this way. Its got all these silly mount points all over the place and I simply don't see their uses nor what order they should be started with. I'm a KISS type person from a BSD//Slackware background and am finding myself hating ubuntu (no offense intended) and all the other new fandangly distro's that can't run off just one mount point : root : /

If anyone would care to help me and explaine how the heck I can make an initrd or whater it is thats needed. I would love to run ubuntu off my ipod. (this is all done as I'm not "allowed" to use linux on my work laptop. And on night-shift no-one's looking so I play hehe.

Any advice would be appreciated. At the moment I'm afraid I can't even run it without using a liveCD/