PDA

View Full Version : A Refurbished Desktop...?

SZF2001
February 11th, 2007, 07:22 AM
So I'm just a poor high school kid someday soon turning into a poor college kid...

I was planning on taking my currently crappy computer with me because hey, even if it is a PII with 128MB RAM, it still does what I need - surf the net, play DVDs, music, write some papers...

But lately my desktop has been acting up. I'm not sure if there is some kind giant dust bunny in the box or what - I couldn't find one when I looked - and my fan is now making a loud "VVVRRRRRR" sound over and over and OVER, louder and louder, each time... It's been driving me nuts.

So I'm looking into buying a refurbished or slightly used computer... I would LOVE a system76 computer, but I don't seem to have that kind of money.

Unless I can fix this travesty of a computer, I am just going to buy a somewhat newer one since this one might die some day quicker. Anyone willing to help? eBay is scary and I don't know where else to look...

kerry_s
February 11th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Did you check the craigs list in your area?

SZF2001
February 11th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Sorry to sound silly, but... What's a craigs list?

IYY
February 11th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Sorry to sound silly, but... What's a craigs list?

A website where you can buy and sell stuff. Like eBay for the 21st century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craigslist
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/

Ubunted
February 11th, 2007, 08:12 AM
CPU fans are cheap. If you're really that poor, pick up a new one for like $5, or pull one out of a dead box somewhere.

SZF2001
February 11th, 2007, 08:16 AM
You think? I could try a new fan...

But I dunno. The noise is coming from... Near the top of the box - not so close to the fan, but somewhat near the top... Hard drive?

fenian
February 11th, 2007, 08:26 AM
You may want to look into building your own with a mix of new parts and parts you currently have.You may only need to purchase a new motherboard,processor and ram to significantly upgrade your system.These three items could be obtained brand new for less than $100.

Here is a good link about building your own pc...

http://www.tomshardware.com/2002/09/04/building_your_own_pc/index.html

And here is a link to an inexpensive AMD64 CPU/Motherboard combo...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductComboList.asp?ItemNo=N82E16819104244&Subcategory=343&PageSize=10&SortField=0&Page=1

I know it may seem like a daunting task but it really isn't as difficult as you may think.

SZF2001
February 11th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Could I perhaps use the same box I already have? I mean, why not - plus it's already got my Ubuntu sticker on it (and a bunch of drawings from sharpie pens me and my friends did one night, and one has moved so it is cool to keep it to remember the good times)...

slimdog360
February 11th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Take out the fans and give them a clean with a small paint brush. Make sure you turn off unplug the computer first though.

You could try a computer fair and hunt around for an old desktop there.

fenian
February 11th, 2007, 08:42 AM
You may be able to use your current box but I can't tell you for sure.It's possible that important ifo on this could be found in; a)the original documentation that came with the computer b)It could be branded on the motherboard or inside the case itself.What you would want to look for is something that says ATX or ATX compatible.

ESPOiG
February 11th, 2007, 08:48 AM
where do u live?? country?

teet
February 11th, 2007, 09:39 AM
You can easily build a brand new halfway decent system for $300. I did it last year at about this time. I ended up with a Celeron D 3.06 Ghz, 512 MB DDR3200, Nvidia Geforce 6200 (256 mb), and 16x dvd burner. Not too shabby.

These days you could easily build a Pentium 4 machine for that same $300.

If you're not into building, check out www.tigerdirect.com . They have some great pre-built "no-os" computers and some refurbished ones as well.

-teet

mips
February 11th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Unless I can fix this travesty of a computer, I am just going to buy a somewhat newer one since this one might die some day quicker. Anyone willing to help? eBay is scary and I don't know where else to look...

What is your budget and where do you live ?

There have been similar posts here about cheap sources for PCs. Many people have got like very cheap second hand PCs from military surplus etc for like $60 etc and they were much better spec than yours.

If people know more or less where you live they can posts links to local resources for you.

v8YKxgHe
February 11th, 2007, 10:33 AM
I'm selling a Shuttle XPC on eBay if your intrested in it, I'm hoping it sells for around £150-200. Just do an eBay (uk) search for "Shuttle XPC" It's the black one with a Sempron 3300

_simon_
February 11th, 2007, 10:44 AM
If you are REALLY strapped for cash then I'd suggest you locate the source of the noise, it will either be a fan or drive and replace it.

In what way has your machine be acting up? Could be related to the noise e.g. HDD on the way out.

IYY
February 11th, 2007, 06:36 PM
I think that building your own computer has no advantage in terms of price as far as low-end systems are concerned. I saw a decent machine for sale for like $250 at a store; I don't think I could ever build anything of this price.

freebeer
February 11th, 2007, 08:00 PM
You think? I could try a new fan...

But I dunno. The noise is coming from... Near the top of the box - not so close to the fan, but somewhat near the top... Hard drive?

Would that be near your power supply? I've had the fan on the power supply make a similar noise - very annoying. Swapped the power supply ($25, I think) and all was good.

%hMa@?b<C
February 11th, 2007, 08:02 PM
You can easily build a brand new halfway decent system for $300. I did it last year at about this time. I ended up with a Celeron D 3.06 Ghz, 512 MB DDR3200, Nvidia Geforce 6200 (256 mb), and 16x dvd burner. Not too shabby.

These days you could easily build a Pentium 4 machine for that same $300.

If you're not into building, check out www.tigerdirect.com . They have some great pre-built "no-os" computers and some refurbished ones as well.

-teet
I built my dual core opteron/geforce 6200/pioneer 111d/1 gig ram system for ~300
I got the case and PSU for free with rebates (check slickdeals.net)

SZF2001
February 11th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Just so everyone knows where I am, I'm around Grand County, Utah, USA.

I cannot pin point the sound of annoyence - I have moved my fan farther away from the wall, and for a while the humming stopped - now it's back.

SZF2001
February 11th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Would that be near your power supply? I've had the fan on the power supply make a similar noise - very annoying. Swapped the power supply ($25, I think) and all was good.

Holy crap, YES, this is the source of ANNOYING HUMMING FROM HELL.

Man... Now, does it matter what kind of power source thing I buy? I'm pretty sure they are all different depending on your mother board, since that's how everything freaking is.

Running Xubuntu on this machine is perfect, and if I can get this godforsaken humming to stop, I will be forever in dept to Ubuntu.

v8YKxgHe
February 11th, 2007, 09:11 PM
sometimes my PC fan goes a bit loud ... I just give it a little kick (the PC, not the fan!) and it shuts up! I love it =D

SZF2001
February 11th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I've been punching the hell out of this box since the noise started. Now I try to use it in short bursts, like checking my email and browsing a few forums, then I just turn it off. It's sad, really - I like leaving my computer on for whenever I need it...

Now I know where to punch it. But it won't do any good...

I'm looking around Amazon for some power box things... I can't tell the difference in a lot of them, so I'm not exactly sure what to buy here...

%hMa@?b<C
February 11th, 2007, 09:38 PM
get this
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4587977?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
it is free, with rebate, its what I have!

freebeer
February 12th, 2007, 05:18 AM
I'm looking around Amazon for some power box things... I can't tell the difference in a lot of them, so I'm not exactly sure what to buy here...

In my experience, the power supply is case-dependant, not motherboard dependant (assuming your machine isn't a proprietary box). If you have an AT case, for example, you get a power suppy for an AT case. Watch for the power rating, though... don't get less than you already have, and more watts won't hurt. (Your power supply should have its wattage rating printed on it somewhere.)

The easiest thing to do is take your old power supply with you to a store if you're not sure.