PDA

View Full Version : Death of the net... Have you seen?

-Ghost9-
February 11th, 2007, 03:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5RQrxkGgCM

KAL9000
February 11th, 2007, 03:19 AM
I cant see that heppening, atleast not in europe.
Then again as the Internet has broken down the normal country boarders if the US decide to do this then most other countries will have little choise.

I also heard about China wanting to spread its censoring idea around and try to get that global...

The Internet should be for free speach and open descovery. Not for big cable companies with politcal and capitalistic agendas to interfere with!

rabid9797
February 11th, 2007, 03:20 AM
old. its called net neutrality. this has been an issue for months, and companies have brought it to congress lots of times but its never gotten through, even more consideration.

it'll never happen.

moeFinley
February 11th, 2007, 03:29 AM
Yere right, never gonna happen. There are so many companies that would take service providers to court if the rights over access were ever questioned. Just imagine if Amazon got a letter saying they would now have to pay for there customers to see their site!

And if the companies don't take action the people will! Imagine if only one ISP decided to start controlling content. Their customers would leave faster than Mary Whitehouse in strip club!

KAL9000
February 11th, 2007, 03:46 AM
It is scary to think that the vast majority of net users would probaly not care. Look at the figures of people who STILL open smap email's and get scammed by poorly written charity emails and stuff.
I think google got it right when they said that there doesntneed to be any extra functionality in the internet as most users are too dumb to use what they have.

Its worrying to think of what companies get away with because noone understands the nauture or importance of what was just taken away.

Imagine it like DRM. most users didnt see it coming while I bet everyone on here and most other people who read tech forums and news realised what it means in the long run, like buying a Sony Hi-Fi and thenyou findit only plays sony CD's, youd think something like that would never happen.
Vista has elements of trusted computing but they dont call it that due to the bad name but most end users dont know what it is and couldnt care less and because of that they can just spin it and advertise it as "enhanced content"

leeyee
February 11th, 2007, 06:46 AM
I also heard about China wanting to spread its censoring idea around and try to get that global...

The Internet should be for free speach and open descovery. Not for big cable companies with politcal and capitalistic agendas to interfere with!
Yes, I agree with you. I'm from China mainland, and has quite a bad experience with the political intervene from the government on internet. However, I must confess that it goes better not worst, and we do get more and more freedom. It still has further to run, to be honest. :)

Please trust us, we are still in a rapid developing country. China welcomes you, friends. ^_^

FyreBrand
February 11th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Yes, I agree with you. I'm from China mainland, and has quite a bad experience with the political intervene from the government on internet. However, I must confess that it goes better not worst, and we do get more and more freedom. It still has further to run, to be honest. :)

Please trust us, we are still in a rapid developing country. China welcomes you, friends. ^_^This is what I love about the net and especially these forums. I love hearing the perspective and having conversations with people all over the world.

About net neutrality: I think ISPs and hardware vendors would love to see this happen. I don't think it's going to fly though. I think there are enough powerful corporations that don't want to see this happen.

moeFinley
February 11th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Imagine it like DRM. most users didnt see it coming while I bet everyone on here and most other people who read tech forums and news realised what it means in the long run, like buying a Sony Hi-Fi and thenyou findit only plays sony CD's, youd think something like that would never happen.

Sony is a good example. They put in extreme DRM to try and control content that was put on there devices and there losing millions. Of course the exception to the rule is the iPod. But that has been successfull for many other reasons and now there talk of stripping it of DRM.

Don't under estimate people power. Or maybe it's really just the power of lots of people money :)

KAL9000
February 11th, 2007, 09:33 PM
They are talking of removing the DRM form the iPod due to the EU ruling that it must Licence the code to allow competition, so they are keeping one step ahed and removing the dependency and moving to hardware encryption to keep it a closed market.

old jobs aint that dumb.

Back to the point. I dont dislike chinese people or Americans in general, I like to think im one of the most tolerant person I know. i just dislike some of the policies, like Americas idea that it is a "World police" and and how China thinks it has something to prove by being the most poluting state in the world.
ofc i have problems with england as well, why are we spending all this money on PFI build hospitals were the contracts are open for the supplier to raise the price when the want to. Why is our govenment hell bent on making a huge and very complex database on everything when it serves no use and is slow, ineffective and expencive.

You see not only is that a rant but it is ontopic by ilustrating what freedom I have now. if we loose netnutrality we are 1 setp closer to a fully censord internet where that comment would dissapear and everyone would be in a "happy" place.