PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu chatrooms?

mickbuntu
February 11th, 2007, 02:14 AM
Hello, hello, anybody their?

Customer Service I have a question to ask <rings the service entry bell> :-P ......

Oh you, yes you, looking just joking, I know it is a volunteer based society here. :lolflag:

But does ubuntu have chat room to meet new friends ( in terms of pen-pals) possibly even from same location? Do not mean to hook up and out the door. But a place where decent people have their spot to chat in real time. Would like to lurk in the chat rooms and possibly participate if see something could integrate into. Had a member id at one point but was not a regular to these forums. So sorry if do not know the ins and outs of ubuntu forums. For that matter the ins and out of Canonical holdings. Is edubuntu, kubuntu, Xubuntu also fully supported or it is a stepchild of ubuntu?

Thanks

Vorian
February 11th, 2007, 02:17 AM
take your pick, all are on irc.freenode.net

List of Ubuntu IRC channels
Support and talk channels
#ubuntu
#ubuntu+1
#kubuntu
#edubuntu
#xubuntu
#ubuntu-offtopic
#kubuntu-offtopic
#xubuntu-offtopic
#ubuntu-education
#ubuntuforums
#UbuntuForums (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuForums)
Team channels
#ubuntu-devel
#xubuntu-devel
#kubuntu-devel
#ubuntu-accessibility
#ubuntu-boot
#ubuntu-bugs
#ubuntu-desktop
#ubuntu-doc
#ubuntu-effects
#ubuntu-hardened
#ubuntu-java
#ubuntu-kernel
#ubuntu-laptop
#ubuntu-locoteams
#ubuntu-marketing
#ubuntu-meeting
#ubuntu-mirrors
#ubuntu-motu
#ubuntu-motu-school
#ubuntu-science
#ubuntu-server
#ubuntu-toolchain
#ubuntu-translators
#ubuntu-trivia
#ubuntu-women

mickbuntu
February 11th, 2007, 02:25 AM
take your pick, all are on irc.freenode.net

Thanks for the reply Vorian, i'll download the irc chat client. Since using gnome on ubuntu it seems to reason that best bet would be a gnome based irc chat client (just for the personal visual appeal ). Going lurk for a while and see if I can manage to integrate myself into the discussions their. :| Not always easy to have people understand me what I mean. Nothing wrong with them, it is me that is all learning to live with it.

Vorian
February 11th, 2007, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the reply Vorian, i'll download the irc chat client. Since using gnome on ubuntu it seems to reason that best bet would be a gnome based irc chat client (just for the personal visual appeal ). Going lurk for a while and see if I can manage to integrate myself into the discussions their. :| Not always easy to have people understand me what I mean. Nothing wrong with them, it is me that is all learning to live with it.

Join #ubutnuforums on irc.freenode.net. We'll take good care of you:guitar:

porc::inca::dito

bionnaki
February 11th, 2007, 03:07 AM
sudo apt-get install xchat
sudo apt-get konversation
sudo apt-get irssi
sudo apt-get bitchx

take your pick.

mickbuntu
February 11th, 2007, 03:28 AM
Went their, met very nice people in the room. Spoke a little in the rooms going come back again. My chat client of choice was gnomified -xchat. But thanks for the list it is helpful to know their are more.

teaker1s
February 11th, 2007, 03:29 AM
:popcorn: good selection of irc chat, must take a look:)

seijuro
February 11th, 2007, 03:41 AM
KVIRC is pretty good too.

IYY
February 11th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Actually, for your basic IRC needs, Gaim is a perfectly good client, and is already installed with Ubuntu. After adding and connecting to an IRC server like FreeNode, all you need to do is type

/join #ubuntuforums

and you can be chatting.