PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a program that...

Roberticus
February 10th, 2007, 08:25 PM
...makes compiling easier?
I mean it would be really nice if there is a program with a friendly UI with which you could simply browse for the source compilation (like a .tar file) and then press like "Accept" or "Process" and it does all the work. After that you just go to your favorite menu (be it
KDE/Gnome/xfce/other) and then start the program you just compiled.

It would make life somewhat easier for those who don't really know much about compiling and gets a bit scared with the word "Compile from source" (since it sounds a bit 'geeky' to some...)

Oh and my first post here :)

%hMa@?b<C
February 10th, 2007, 08:28 PM
...makes compiling easier?
I mean it would be really nice if there is a program with a friendly UI with which you could simply browse for the source compilation (like a .tar file) and then press like "Accept" or "Process" and it does all the work. After that you just go to your favorite menu (be it
KDE/Gnome/xfce/other) and then start the program you just compiled.

It would make life somewhat easier for those who don't really know much about compiling and gets a bit scared with the word "Compile from source" (since it sounds a bit 'geeky' to some...)

Oh and my first post here :)
you could try Kdevelop.

aidanr
February 10th, 2007, 09:34 PM
i used to use a program called kompile that did this, doesn't seem to be around anymore though, and i've gotten used to the terminal anyway

mykalreborn
February 10th, 2007, 09:35 PM
you can wait a little for cnr (http://www.cnr.com).

nalmeth
February 10th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I think theres one called kconfigure.

It was impressive when I tried it, but I didn't see much use for it. When you have to hunt down extra libs anyway, I found I preferred just using the terminal to begin with.

Do check it out though, it may be what you're looking for.

mostwanted
February 10th, 2007, 11:39 PM
This is a great repository with all sorts of useful tools:

http://asher256-repository.tuxfamily.org/index.php?page=packages&lang=en

The bulldozer tool (look for screen shots further down) extends Nautilus with compiler toolbar buttons.