PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu laptop install went Great

Narzuhl
May 20th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Ok so here i am trying windows xp on my spare laptop. this is a Toshiba Portege 3490CT. Great laptop light as hell but only a p3 700 and will only take up to 256mb of ram. so xp sucked (Bloatware). So i decided i would give Linux another try. I tried it several times in the past few years without much luck. So for this laptop i tried several distros.
Redhat, suse, mepis, yoper, slackware, pcbsd, freebsd just to name a few. Well booting off a PCMCIA cdrom proved impossable for some of these and had other issues (pcmcia, acpi) with the ones that did install, so i started to look for somthing better. A quick search in google found ubuntu and kubuntu, so i tried kubuntu as i liked kde. Well that was a bust, i did not like it much and i found the laptop to be as slow as it was before and i could not seem to get my linksys wpc54g to work correctly.
So i looked at ubuntu. I have only tried gnome in the past like once or twice and i did not like it much, but i wanted to give it a try. Well the new version on gnome is nice to say the least. Fast sleak and some nice easy feature for the linux novice.
So i was determined. After a fight with the cardbus controller i managed to get it installed. With the help of one of the best forum i have been to in a long time (this one) i managed to get just about everything working including my wireless and Vmware (i still need a few windows apps for work).
Basicly what is not working is the following,
Infra red have not tried as i do not need it yet.
standby is not working as it should. i have yet to research this but i think the acpi in the bios is a little funky anyways (latest bios).
as for the rest i have not tried the parallel port (i use network printer), my usb mouse works and so does my usb stick. seems that the card bus controller cannot read the cdrom and the wireless card at the same time (i will look into that later it is not that important).

So basicly i have been able to do everything on this i do with my windows XP box.
My other laptop an IBM R40 is nice but i seem to be using Toshiba more and more as it is much faster (gotta convert that IBM soon)
So i have to say great job on ubuntu as it so far has been the best and nicest distro i have use on this laptop or other pc's. I have been convinced and a convert i have become.
And to all in the forum keep up the good work as 90% of the issues i have had have been soved here. 7% were solved by dumb luck and 3 % are still outstanding but not that important.

steve k
May 20th, 2005, 05:29 PM
yeah, hey, i'd like to second this!
i've never experienced an easier laptop installation ever!
and so much of the hardware in my x40 got detected and set up perfectly well automatically.

wonderful!

hiptrop
May 20th, 2005, 06:47 PM
too true !!

got an acer 4002 travelmate and ubuntu works perfect !

only standby and some little thingsnot working but i blame it on mylinux experience not on ubuntu :)

Narzuhl
May 20th, 2005, 08:39 PM
So i have a new update
I added a wireless usb microsoft mouse. (company bought that) and i added a cheap compusa 10/100 cardbus network card to replace my port replacator. the card turned ou to be an ADMtek an985 can was totaly plug and play. i did not have to do anything except plug the wire in. Again great distro and i plan to switch everything over this this.

jiulius
May 22nd, 2005, 12:25 AM
hello everybody my first post ever :)
I got a sony vaio Vgn-A117S and i tried install Ubuntu over this great computer,
well install went great like installing xp.
every hardware reconize and works fine.
wireless, bluetooth, screen everything inside there.
:) thank you

poofyhairguy
May 22nd, 2005, 02:23 AM
Welcome.