PDA

View Full Version : Don't copy Microsoft or Apple to linux!

Garyu
February 10th, 2007, 11:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsrKDBIs6hY&mode=related&search=
Things like this really make Vista look like a parody. And things like this is exactly why I've been trying to tell people - Don't copy Microsoft or Apple stuff to linux! There are lots of creativity and original solutions in the linux community, but too many people are saying "we should copy windows, make themes that make linux look just like windows" and so on. In my mind, they don't know what they are talking about.

Yes, make cool new applications.
Yes, make everything look and feel good (not just good functionality)
But no, don't make copies.

daou
February 10th, 2007, 12:29 PM
All of us still have the freedom to choose what kind of environment we want to run. If someone wants to make their GNU/Linux look a bit more like Windows, I say let them have it. The rest of us can still enjoy originality.

BrokeBody
February 10th, 2007, 12:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im589uTchKs&mode=related&search= :popcorn:

delfick
February 10th, 2007, 01:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im589uTchKs&mode=related&search= :popcorn:

nice movie :D

You don't get it Steve, that doesn't matter (bill responding to Steve who said they're better)...

so true :D

fuscia
February 10th, 2007, 03:02 PM
have you no room left in your heart for yet another osx theme? and what of poor ol' win95?

ThrobbingBrain66
February 10th, 2007, 03:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsrKDBIs6hY&mode=related&search=
Things like this really make Vista look like a parody. And things like this is exactly why I've been trying to tell people - Don't copy Microsoft or Apple stuff to linux! There are lots of creativity and original solutions in the linux community, but too many people are saying "we should copy windows, make themes that make linux look just like windows" and so on. In my mind, they don't know what they are talking about.

Yes, make cool new applications.
Yes, make everything look and feel good (not just good functionality)
But no, don't make copies.

If you have time to worry about other peoples' themes, I think you have too much time on your hands. :)

Everyone copies everyone, that's just the way it is. I think the important thing is that we're all running Linux.

There is lots of creativity in the Linux community. But I'm very picky about my desktop (as I'm sure a lot of us are) and there always seemed to be something wrong with every theme I tried. I'm not very familiar with editing theme files, but got this one to look how I want it, so I'm keeping it for a while.

(Yes, my window borders are Mac-ish and my wallpaper is Vista inspired. I've been using Ubuntu for almost a year with the default theme. I put together the Mac/Vista theme the other day...it's the first theme I've liked for more than a couple hours.)

Garyu
February 10th, 2007, 03:15 PM
If you have time to worry about other peoples' themes, I think you have too much time on your hands. :)

Actually, I was mainly referring to the discussions on how to make Feisty Fawn look like (and I know that these discussions are futile since the guy who did Dapper are doing them, but still) and the default look of things when they are installed. I am pro-choice and pro-freedom. If you like your PC with Ubuntu looking like a Mac, it's good that there is a possibility to make it look like that. What I am trying to say is that just like the Mac has a classic and distinguishable look and just like everyone knows what characterizes Windows, there should be a characteristic Ubuntu look and feel. OLPC has got some constructive ideas going on their version of RedHat.

Basically: let's strive to be better, as opposed to striving to be similar...

ThrobbingBrain66
February 10th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Actually, I was mainly referring to the discussions on how to make Feisty Fawn look like (and I know that these discussions are futile since the guy who did Dapper are doing them, but still) and the default look of things when they are installed. I am pro-choice and pro-freedom. If you like your PC with Ubuntu looking like a Mac, it's good that there is a possibility to make it look like that. What I am trying to say is that just like the Mac has a classic and distinguishable look and just like everyone knows what characterizes Windows, there should be a characteristic Ubuntu look and feel. OLPC has got some constructive ideas going on their version of RedHat.

Very well. Now that you've clarified things for me, I agree.

bastiegast
February 10th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I do think MS is/was behind in technology as the video in the first post tries to say. IE was more or less the last browser to implement tabs.
But I think this video is no more than propaganda. I mean what do you expect MS to do? Indexing personal files is the future, spotlight brought it to apple, no you want MS or linux to stay behind until they come up with something original (Linux has beagle for a while btw.).
Linux is fundamentally different from Windows (and so is OS X!) so we should not worry too much about copying, if MS comes up with a good idea we should copy it unless we have something better, otherwise you are holding yourself back with your principles.

bastiegast
February 10th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Of course but, be pragmatic.

EdThaSlayer
February 10th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Funny video. I especially like the part where they talk about the Windows Logo :).