PDA

View Full Version : An interesting thought

FuturePilot
February 10th, 2007, 06:17 AM
I was typing a paper in Open Office and my mind started to drift. So this thought came to me. Why is the save icon, in any program, still an image of a floppy? Haven't we moved way past floppies? Why don't they use an image of a USB flash drive instead? Just a random thought:cool:

corstar
February 10th, 2007, 06:50 AM
I think the Tango project have replaced the 3.5" with something else.
I kind of like the floppy icon though. It's always been the same for ages. I can't be that bad if it stood the test of time.
I think for kids in the near future though, they will be clicking on something the have never used.

steven8
February 10th, 2007, 07:01 AM
I have not moved beyond floppies, and it irritates me that a floppy drive is now an 'upgrade' for an extra fee on, say, a Dell?

Floppy Icon = Save. Nothing wrong with that.

Choad
February 10th, 2007, 07:04 AM
I was typing a paper in Open Office and my mind started to drift. So this thought came to me. Why is the save icon, in any program, still an image of a floppy? Haven't we moved way past floppies? Why don't they use an image of a USB flash drive instead? Just a random thought:cool:
it serves it's purpose, and its easily recognisable. changing it for changes sake would be counter productive.

interesting thought tho :)

Polygon
February 10th, 2007, 07:06 AM
i think the floppy icon is just the standard 'save' icon. Its nice and simple. Its pretty hard to demonstrate using a picture the act of saving, the only other thing i could think of is a picture of a hard drive or something, maybe with an arrow pointing towards it, but i still think the floppy gets the picture across better.

qalimas
February 10th, 2007, 08:02 AM
I'm using the Snowy icon set (KDE port although I'm sure the original version from GNOME is the same), and my save icon is a file with a down arrow. Seems logical for any medium, the file is being put somewhere.

Choad
February 10th, 2007, 08:12 AM
I'm using the Snowy icon set (KDE port although I'm sure the original version from GNOME is the same), and my save icon is a file with a down arrow. Seems logical for any medium, the file is being put somewhere.
lol, me too! i just noticed.

beercz
February 10th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Did this hurt? :lolflag:

I really wish you hadn't mentioned this as every time I open an OpenOffice application I will think about this icon. Until now I really hadn't even thought about it!

FuturePilot
February 10th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Did this hurt? :lolflag:

I really wish you hadn't mentioned this as every time I open an OpenOffice application I will think about this icon. Until now I really hadn't even thought about it!

Lol, my mind just wondered off somewhere:lolflag:

I do see though now that it does serve its purpose.

smoker
February 10th, 2007, 07:03 PM
as floppies are rapidly disappearing into the realms of history, perhaps they could change the icon to a cd without too much confusion:-)

mkurdziolek
February 10th, 2007, 07:33 PM
as floppies are rapidly disappearing into the realms of history, perhaps they could change the icon to a cd without too much confusion:-)

A CD would make me think that I'm going to burn it to a CD.... I don't know, I think it might just be better to a have a button that says "save"

insane_alien
February 10th, 2007, 07:57 PM
i don't know about you guys but when i save stuff its usually just a quick Ctrl+S tap and i carry on typing. i think it should remain the floppy disk though, millions of people know it and would need help it changed since they haven't actually learned how to operate a computer properly.

banjobacon
February 10th, 2007, 08:53 PM
i think it should remain the floppy disk though, millions of people know it and would need help it changed since they haven't actually learned how to operate a computer properly.

But in a few years, there will be millions of computer users that don't know what a floppy is. There's no harm in changing it now. It people become confused by the lack of a floppy icons on their toolbar, they'll go the the file menu and see the new save icon next to the word save. It won't be long until they get used to the icon on the toolbar.

mykalreborn
February 10th, 2007, 09:41 PM
i guess the floppy is not being used so much any more, but you have to admit a cd icon would be pretty spooky. ;)

fuscia
February 10th, 2007, 10:33 PM
i guess it's for the same reason lincoln is still on the penny.

Lux Perpetua
February 10th, 2007, 11:41 PM
I think the Tango project have replaced the 3.5" with something else.
I kind of like the floppy icon though. It's always been the same for ages. I can't be that bad if it stood the test of time.
I think for kids in the near future though, they will be clicking on something the have never used.If they replace it with anything, it should be a 5.25'' floppy. :-P