PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix GUI is really clunky..

presbp
February 10th, 2007, 02:03 AM
I downloaded Knoppix and burned it to the CD and then booted it. The user interface looks really clunky and I almost got a headache trying to navigate through it. It did look like it had more applications installed by default than Ubuntu though..
What features does Knoppix offer in relation to other Linux Distros? (I have Ubuntu installed)

maxamillion
February 10th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Knoppix for 1 runs KDE ... clunky part 1

2. Its only a live cd, meant for use only as a live session so they try to put as many applications on there that people might want to use for a large number of situations..... I mainly use knoppix for trouble shooting computers and networking problems at work.

SunnyRabbiera
February 10th, 2007, 02:13 AM
well Knoppix is debian based like ubuntu.
Knoppix is one of the key live CD based distros as it was one of the first modern linux live CD's, of course linux on live CD was around before Knoppix, but it was knoppix that helped inspire distros like kanotix, Mepis and even ubuntu.

maxamillion
February 10th, 2007, 02:17 AM
well Knoppix is debian based like ubuntu.
Knoppix is one of the key live CD based distros as it was one of the first modern linux live CD's, of course linux on live CD was around before Knoppix, but it was knoppix that helped inspire distros like kanotix, Mepis and even ubuntu.

No offense, but I don't think Knoppix had anything to due with Ubuntu ... pretty sure that was debian's doing.

SunnyRabbiera
February 10th, 2007, 02:23 AM
well I do think that maybe ubuntu was probably inspired by knoppix when making its live CD's
though the installer might have been more debian influenced...
Though there are a great deal of simularities between ubuntu's installer and the one that mepis uses so it could have been from there too.

RAV TUX
February 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM
If you burn the DVD version you can run KNOPPIX in Gnome, and actually KNOPPIX in Gnome is surprisingly better the Gnome in Ubuntu....

beyond the myth and perpetrated stance by KNOPPIX devs and users, KNOPPIX is actually one of the most stable OS's to install on your hard drive...it also has the easiest installer to date of any Linux OS.

boot the live CD/DVD

open KNOPPIX root, then type:

IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer

then follow the prompts to install KNOPPIX

and yes Ubuntu like most Debian derivatives were and are highly influenced by KNOPPIX, it is a well known fact that Mark Shuttleworth has met with and consulted with Klaus Knopper often...Klaus is a pure genius...

I used KNOPPIX to install a Debian-like system on my hard drive, and used KNOPPIX Installed! for over 6 months....

before going to rPath then Sabayon...

KNOPPIX does have the best hardware detection to date...:popcorn:

steven8
February 10th, 2007, 01:03 PM
KNOPPIX does have the best hardware detection to date...

Ubuntu handled my usb cable modem, knopppix didn't.

RAV TUX
February 10th, 2007, 01:06 PM
If you burn the DVD version you can run KNOPPIX in Gnome, and actually KNOPPIX in Gnome is surprisingly better the Gnome in Ubuntu....

beyond the myth and perpetrated stance by KNOPPIX devs and users, KNOPPIX is actually one of the most stable OS's to install on your hard drive...it also has the easiest installer to date of any Linux OS.

boot the live CD/DVD

open KNOPPIX root, then type:

then follow the prompts to install KNOPPIX

and yes Ubuntu like most Debian derivatives were and are highly influenced by KNOPPIX, it is a well known fact that Mark Shuttleworth has met with and consulted with Klaus Knopper often...Klaus is a pure genius...

I used KNOPPIX to install a Debian-like system on my hard drive, and used KNOPPIX Installed! for over 6 months....

before going to rPath then Sabayon...

KNOPPIX does have the best hardware detection to date...:popcorn:

Unfortunately on my primary computer Ubuntu and Debian won't even boot...KNOPPIX has always worked without fail.:guitar:

Hendrixski
February 13th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Yeah, but that's because it comes with KDE and like every open source package ever known to man... plus a few that must have been developed by open source devlopers on mars. It's clunky to move around.

Other than that, it's pretty nice, like someon pointed out before it is THE distro that brought liveCD to the masses. I have a pretty standard Dell laptop, so hardware detection doesn't affect me. It used to come with a few forensics tools, and system recovery. I liked that. I wonder what Knoppix will do next to stay fresh, or will they fade into obscurity?