PDA

View Full Version : books for JavaScript and AJAX?

RedSquirrel
February 9th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Hi all,

I am looking for some good books to learn/master JavaScript and AJAX.

I am familiar with C/C++ and Java, and I have more recently picked up (X)HTML and CSS.

I have read elsewhere that the following books are pretty good:

(1) "JavaScript - The Definitive Guide, Fifth Edition" by David Flanagan (O'Reilly)

(2) "Ajax in Action" by Dave Crane and Eric Pascarello with Darren James (Manning)

Does anyone have an opinion about these books and/or suggestions for other books and resources?

Thanks for any responses. :)

phossal
February 10th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Flanagan's book is pretty good. For anyone who doesn't have a solid grasp of Javascript or the DOM, I can't imagine a better reference. While "In Action" was a best seller for 2006, I can't think of a better way to waste paper. It is, in many ways, a how-to book on general programming geared toward people with some web experience and very little other programming experience. For example, how many chapters on refactoring does a book need? If you think the tricks used in late 2005 are still relevant, or you want to make double-combo scripts, then you might read it. Otherwise, get yourself the Rico and Prototype libraries and leave "In Action" low enough on your to-do list that you never get to it.

kvorion
February 10th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Javascript - The Definitive Guide is a pretty good book. For learning ajax, I havent used any book as yet. The best resources are found online. I started off from here (http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/AJAX)

Even for javascript, you can find loads of tutorials online.

daz4126
February 10th, 2007, 02:52 PM
DOM Scripting by Jeremy Keith and The Javascript Anthology by Cameron Adams and James Edwards. Both excellent (but not much AJAX).

see:

http://domscripting.com/

DAZ

yaaarrrgg
February 10th, 2007, 07:17 PM
For Ajax, I was happy with the book "Fundamentals of Ajax" (Ryan Asleson and Nathaniel T. Schutta. Apress 2006.) At the very least it will point you to a couple libraries to research more. Really, there's not much to Ajax ... it's not even a w3c standard.

RedSquirrel
February 10th, 2007, 10:46 PM
DOM Scripting by Jeremy Keith and The Javascript Anthology by Cameron Adams and James Edwards. Both excellent (but not much AJAX).

see:

http://domscripting.com/

DAZ

It seems Keith has an AJAX book coming out in a couple of days. :)

http://bulletproofajax.com/

RedSquirrel
February 10th, 2007, 10:52 PM
For Ajax, I was happy with the book "Fundamentals of Ajax" (Ryan Asleson and Nathaniel T. Schutta. Apress 2006.) At the very least it will point you to a couple libraries to research more.

Minor correction: I think you meant "Foundations of Ajax".

Really, there's not much to Ajax ... it's not even a w3c standard.

Is there really not that much to it? I've heard it's kind of complicated...

RedSquirrel
February 10th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Flanagan's book is pretty good. For anyone who doesn't have a solid grasp of Javascript or the DOM, I can't imagine a better reference. While "In Action" was a best seller for 2006, I can't think of a better way to waste paper. It is, in many ways, a how-to book on general programming geared toward people with some web experience and very little other programming experience. For example, how many chapters on refactoring does a book need? If you think the tricks used in late 2005 are still relevant, or you want to make double-combo scripts, then you might read it. Otherwise, get yourself the Rico and Prototype libraries and leave "In Action" low enough on your to-do list that you never get to it.

Thanks for your opinion. I had wondered if the "In Action" book was a little dated. Of course, that sounds a little odd given that it's not really that old yet, but things do change quickly!

RedSquirrel
February 10th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Javascript - The Definitive Guide is a pretty good book. For learning ajax, I havent used any book as yet. The best resources are found online. I started off from here (http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/AJAX)

Even for javascript, you can find loads of tutorials online.

Thanks for the link.

Online tutorials are handy (and cheaper!), but I sort of like to have a book as well. I find it's easier to read a printed page than to always be reading off a screen (of course, I could also print out some tutorials, too!).

yaaarrrgg
February 11th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Minor correction: I think you meant "Foundations of Ajax".

Is there really not that much to it? I've heard it's kind of complicated...

Ah good catch! :)

The core of Ajax is really simple... it's just making use of the (non-standard) XMLHttpRequest javascript object:

var xmlHttp;

function createHttpRequest( ) {
if ( window.AxtiveXObject ){
xmlHttp = new Microsoft.ActiveXObject( "Microsoft.XMLHTTP" ) ;
} else {
xmlHttp = new XMLHttpRequest()
}
}

methods of the object:

abort()
getAllResponseHeaders()
getResponseHeader( "header" )
open( "method", "url" [, isRelative] ) //method is GET, POST, ...
send( content )
setRequestHeader( "header" , "value" )

properties of the object

onreadystatechange //callback
readyState //1 = loading, 2 = loaded, 3 = interactive, 4 = complete
responseText //what the server returns
responseXML // " as xml
status //HTTP status code, eg, 200 for ok, 404 for not found
statusText //the text part of status like "OK"

It's just a way to pass data back to the browser without reloading the entire page.

RedSquirrel
February 15th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Ah good catch! :)

The core of Ajax is really simple... it's just making use of the (non-standard) XMLHttpRequest javascript object:

var xmlHttp;

function createHttpRequest( ) {
if ( window.AxtiveXObject ){
xmlHttp = new Microsoft.ActiveXObject( "Microsoft.XMLHTTP" ) ;
} else {
xmlHttp = new XMLHttpRequest()
}
}
methods of the object:

abort()
getAllResponseHeaders()
getResponseHeader( "header" )
open( "method", "url" [, isRelative] ) //method is GET, POST, ...
send( content )
setRequestHeader( "header" , "value" )
properties of the object

onreadystatechange //callback
readyState //1 = loading, 2 = loaded, 3 = interactive, 4 = complete
responseText //what the server returns
responseXML // " as xml
status //HTTP status code, eg, 200 for ok, 404 for not found
statusText //the text part of status like "OK"
It's just a way to pass data back to the browser without reloading the entire page.

Thanks for the summary. Now I am off to read some reviews of "Information Architecture" (Morville and Rosenfeld)....

broy
February 15th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I would say that there is more than enough Ajax/Javascript resources on the internet. Don't waste money on a book, I bought two and I never use them.

yaaarrrgg
February 15th, 2007, 06:25 PM
I would say that there is more than enough Ajax/Javascript resources on the internet. Don't waste money on a book, I bought two and I never use them.

I've been using the public library lately ... I was surprised to find a better tech section that our local Barnes and Nobles. :)

pmasiar
February 15th, 2007, 11:16 PM
I am looking for some good books to learn/master JavaScript and AJAX.

I like HeadFirst series http://www.oreilly.com/store/series/headfirst.csp for learning programming stuff - excellent reading, not boring. After you get your feet wet (or head :-) ) you can continue with some expert book, but you will have better idea how parts fit together. O'Reilly books are above average, and this series is excellent. It would be my first choice to dive into new subject.

Mirrorball
February 15th, 2007, 11:28 PM
I recommend "ppk on Javascript." ppk is the owner of http://www.quirksmode.org/

RedSquirrel
February 17th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Many thanks to everyone for the replies. Your responses were very helpful. :)