PDA

View Full Version : Work for a good cause

mostwanted
February 9th, 2007, 10:18 PM
There is a new site out there aimed at becoming a meeting place for those people who want to actively take part in changing the world. It's like Last.fm, YouTube and other web 2.0 sites, but just deals with political issues rather than music or videos.

Take a look:

http://change.org/

Sqwishy
February 9th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Loading. . . more loading. . . still loading. . . *stares at a wall for a few minuits* oh there it is! Awww, I gota sign in. *Waits for email* Ok i got the confirmation email now i gota do the confirm the email thing! Oh look it's loading... loading... loading... Yes I logged in and it only took 10 minits!
Ok 'Spread linux to the world' what does that fall under, religion?

mostwanted
February 9th, 2007, 11:30 PM
:p

"International" would be my guess.

Nonno Bassotto
February 10th, 2007, 12:11 AM
I'd put it there "Stop people from making slow, flash-based websites!". :)

23meg
February 10th, 2007, 12:41 AM
It's not Flash based. Not slow either in my experience.

bapoumba
February 10th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Hello,

We generally consider posts like this spam and would prefer that people not make them, at least not as a habit. This is a one time thing and no harm was done. It's also obvious that the OP is an active and valuable member of this community so we are just going to leave the thread as it is. Feel free to put a link in your signature or in your profile. Have a great day!

23meg
February 10th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Hello,

We generally consider posts like this spamI've never witnessed a thread mentioning a website the poster thought was nice and that others would be interested in too being treated as spam.

mostwanted
February 10th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Yeah, I don't really see the issue here? It's not my own site I'm advocating nor can it be called a commercially operated site. In fact it deals with some issues I think several people on Ubuntu Forums can identify with.

But OK, I'll be sure to think before making any similar topics in the future.

H.E. Pennypacker
February 11th, 2007, 02:06 AM
I knew this would be a liberal cause without even opening the website. Funny! It drives me nuts.

You'll say ....but wait, what makes it liberal, it is only about making a difference?! Yeah, right. Check out the homepage:

1. Protect women's right to choose.
2. Seperate church and state.
3. Stop global warming.

I don't want to argue about these points. I am only pointing them out.

reyfer
February 11th, 2007, 02:12 AM
It is a good site, no question about it. Problem is, like a lot of sites lately, it is so American centered, the global focus is lost. Check most of the links, "ask your US representative to..." "federal funding for..." and most of the organizations linked are, SURPRISE!!!!, american. As i said it is a very good site, but it is useful only if you are in USA.

23meg
February 11th, 2007, 02:15 AM
I knew this would be a liberal cause

Still, it's international website, and your probably USA-based definition of "liberal" doesn't really apply. In the rest of the world, not only liberals care about women's right to choose, and not only liberals are secular, and not only liberals care about global warming. I reckon the same is actually valid for the USA as well, but based on the tone of your post I understand that you may not be inclined to accept that; it's just fine, no need to debate.

If with time the site gets more international participation, it can be quite interesting.

mostwanted
February 11th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I knew this would be a liberal cause without even opening the website. Funny! It drives me nuts.

You'll say ....but wait, what makes it liberal, it is only about making a difference?! Yeah, right. Check out the homepage:

1. Protect women's right to choose.
2. Seperate church and state.
3. Stop global warming.

I don't want to argue about these points. I am only pointing them out.

Liberal cause? The site is for everyone, you add a cause and people subscribe to it, simple as that. If it's mostly "liberal" (I hate how Americans misuse that word) politics then it has either come to be that by chance or it's a reflection on the beliefs of the majority. Don't start whining, add a "conservative" presence instead :|