PDA

View Full Version : Having used the Live DVD, I'm convinced that OpenSuse is not linux.

Adamant1988
February 9th, 2007, 05:33 PM
So, I finally completed my download of OpenSuse 10.2 LiveDVD. I burned the iso with the default iso burning program on my computer (If anyone knows a good iso burning program that works on XP please tell me), popped it in, and restarted.

OpenSuse is not, and cannot, be Linux. After a few seconds of darkness on my screen I was greeted by a perfectly proportioned elegant blue background. It would appear that OpenSuse has detected my monitor resolution, flawlessly. Something I was certainly not expecting. The next thing that happened was I was presented with a choice of Gnome or KDE. I was anxious to try the new KDE menu for myself, so I switched the default to KDE and entered...

The desktop loaded and I was immediately very impressed. Everything just LOOKED so integrated and professional, again I say, OpenSuse cannot be Linux. I opened the kickoff menu, and was immediately impressed by that. Unfortunately, as expected, my Wireless card was not working out of the box. OpenSuse did, however, find and configure it. For some reason it just could not find any networks, I found that odd. The next major surprise I recieved was that my All-in-one HP Printer was not only found and correctly identified, but setting it up through YaST was EASY as sin. The only potential pit-fall was choosing my driver, but I had done some research on the linux compatibility of the printer and knew exactly which driver I needed. It worked flawlessly. OpenSuse is not Linux, I swear it.

So then, I decided to press my luck and try scanning, AGAIN, flawless scanning. Configuring my scanner to work was a matter of hitting "next, next, next" in the configuration menu... So so easy. This cannot be Linux. All in all I was extremely impressed by OpenSuse 10.2, but having seen how user friendly, professionally done, and high quality the code was, I'm convinced that there is no way this is Linux... It's in a class of it's own.

banditti
February 9th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Do you work for SUSE? Most your posts are how great it is.

Adamant1988
February 9th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Do you work for SUSE? Most your posts are how great it is.

Nope, although working for Novell would be a very nice job to have for me. It *would* be something I was interested in. I just enjoy Novell's products as they have that professional quality about them, that lacks. Nothing in what I wrote was inaccurate though, that's actually my experience and my personal feelings.

You'll also see me sticking up for Linspire/Freespire and CNR a lot, and no, I don't work for Linspire Co. either.

banditti
February 9th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Just bustin' your chops. ;)

Adamant1988
February 9th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Just bustin' your chops. ;)

I figured, but I can never tell anymore. Many people are just all over my case for defending people's right to make money.

_simon_
February 9th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Suse is impressive isn't it? ;)

I'm betting you end up installing it...

Shame you have to download another ISO to install it but that doesn't take long on a fast connection.

Adamant1988
February 9th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Well, I need to make sure it's going to work with my wireless card in some way... I know for a fact that my wireless driver is going to be a pain... it's the Broadcom AirForceOne chipset :(

Everything else seemed to work, granted, I didn't test to see if it detected my video card and such right off, and I probably will pop the CD back in later to see.

banditti
February 10th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Not me, I support peoples right to make money.

I have made my fair share off of Microsoft and their desire to change things every couple of months. Keeps consultants in the $$$.

karellen
March 21st, 2007, 08:41 PM
well....I like opensuse/sled myself. my first real contact with linux was through suse 9.2...some years ago :D. a wonderful distro for a beginner like me. then I start experiencing and changing distros...but still suse - opensuse now remained one of my favourites. I especially like sled 10, but two major drawbacks kept me from using it for a long time: the slow yast/zen and the small repos (compared to those of debian/ubuntu). so here am I with my current edgy, but ready to give opensuse (10.3 is coming...) a try :)

Adamant1988
March 21st, 2007, 08:52 PM
well....I like opensuse/sled myself. my first real contact with linux was through suse 9.2...some years ago :D. a wonderful distro for a beginner like me. then I start experiencing and changing distros...but still suse - opensuse now remained one of my favourites. I especially like sled 10, but two major drawbacks kept me from using it for a long time: the slow yast/zen and the small repos (compared to those of debian/ubuntu). so here am I with my current edgy, but ready to give opensuse (10.3 is coming...) a try :)

SLED 10 might very well be worth using when SP1 comes to it.

karellen
March 21st, 2007, 08:56 PM
I know...it's what I'm waiting ;):evil:

Adamant1988
March 21st, 2007, 09:17 PM
Then again I'm also waiting to see what Red Hat pulls out of it's sleeve.

Unoone
March 25th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Sounds like I'll be giving OpenSuse a try. I played with Red Hat years back and I didn't care for it. I don't have a problem with more consumer ready Distros like OpenSuse. I do have a problem with Linux Distros that offer very little in terms of intuitive GUI's. And what's wrong with the option of better hardware support right out of the box?

I like the direction that Ubuntu is headed in with the beta release of Feisty. I've used Linux versions from Gentoo to Mandriva. I tend to stay away from using any Distro for a production environment if it's too manual as far as basic hardware setup and applications. I want to focus on actually getting work done with the Distro not wasting time configuring it. Distros that consist of endless manual routines for every task are fine for your Linux enthusiast/hobbyist crowds. The rest of us just want to hook up our hardware and install our software so that we can just use Linux. Yeah Ubuntu 7.04 is moving in the right direction.

Unoone
March 25th, 2007, 10:05 PM
You can still compile the latest sources of applications and drivers in OpenSuse can't you?:)

As long as I can compile and configure applications via the terminal with ease I'm happy. If it lives and breaths on the Linux kernel it's Linux.

Although I had a problem with dependencies big time with RPM based Distros. Every Debian Distro I've tied seems to hold it down in the area of package dependencies. I can even use Ubuntu's Repositories with Distros like Dreamlinux without breaking anything. I tried to use Red Hat Repositories with Mandriva and Pclinuxos and had breakage everywhere. I wonder how OpenSuse holds up in this area of using non standard Repository packages? Anyone have extensive experience like this with Yast?

Shoot I can even get by using alien in Debian based Distros with many RPM packages.