PDA

View Full Version : Is the new Amarok slower?

undertakingyou
February 9th, 2007, 03:20 PM
I have compiled the newest version of amarok (1.4.5) and with that I compiled the newest version of libgpod and libmtp to support ipods and mtp devices. Everything works fine, but the new amarok seems slower. The collection takes longer to search, the osd display takes longer before it shows up on a track or song change. What is anyone else's experience?

UNDERTAKINGYOU--
------------------------

donmiguel
February 9th, 2007, 08:32 PM
depends, in my case yes...because of the bloody update fuunction, which would actually be a good idea. But now it updates every 10 to 20 secs and freezes the system due to outragoues cpu cycles use :(
the thing is that it only says: updating collection... i'd like to know what, because now ig et the feeling that it's a kind of loop or sth like that...

Randomskk
February 9th, 2007, 08:38 PM
I'm using the one provided by Feisty and it's working perfectly - if not better than before, especially nice tweaks include the OSD for volume now showing a neat volume meter.

Brokenrgv
February 9th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Ive gone from lover to hater of this app, thing locks up ive lost mp3 support and it doesnt install when you click the "install mp3 support" which is when it locks up, im wishing i didnt upgrade to be honest, had mtp all working in the old one but for the life of me can get it to work in this one.

caspar_wrede
February 10th, 2007, 03:58 PM
I too have been having issues. It regularly uses 100% of my CPU. Searching in the collection takes ages, and its actually just crashed on me. Baaaaaaaaaah!

I when I tried reverting to v. 1.4.4, the damn thing wouldn't start. No error message on the command line, nothing.

Any ideas?

bionnaki
February 10th, 2007, 10:31 PM
yeah, it feels like amarok is becoming more and more bloated.

undertakingyou
February 11th, 2007, 01:01 AM
I went into the amarok config and told it to not scan folders for changes. Which has seemed to help a lot. Don't know what to say about no MP3 support. Maybe it needs to be scrubbed and done again. One thing is, I think amarok is getting more bloated.

luca.b
February 11th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Amarok 1.4.5 works perfectly, with MP3 support and no differences from the previous versions.
I don't think it's getting bloated, you should read some discussion on dot.kde.org about it, the devs have precise design goals (in short: they don't want it to become everything but the kitchen sink).

wxnker
February 18th, 2007, 07:09 PM
No problem with MP3's in version 1.4.5 at all. Everything is great as always, but perhaps a bit slower. I'm not sure. I'll try to disable the auto scan feature.

Can't wait for version 2 later this year, which should support Linux in general and yes even Windows. I don't use Windows but if I were to go down that "road" again I would make sure to bring Amarok along. It's the best player I've used (including Windows players) and one of the few for Linux with a nice GUI.

It seems to me that some of the KDE apps (Amarok, k3b, Kaffeine) have a better and more professional looking GUI than their Gnome alternatives, so I use them in Gnome as I still prefer the Gnome-environment over KDE.

BTW: I use Amarok with PostgreSQL database instead of SQLite as I think this improves Amarok's performance.