PDA

View Full Version : No free Edgy CDs from Shipit?!

gr0kzer0
February 9th, 2007, 01:46 PM
I remember when Ubuntu/Canonical promised that Ubuntu CDs would be available free, forever, from Shipit. Okay, so Dapper is Long Term Support, and Edgy is available by download for free... but I WANT FREE EDGY CDs!!! Selling them, man... that's like Bill Gates style!!!

Lster
February 9th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Yea... It is a shame :(, but Canonical are very kind to even offer us free CDs in the first place. As I only have dial-up and cannot download the ISO Ill just have to wait for Fiesty Fawn, which will probably be available at ShipIt in 2 monthes...

AndyCooll
February 9th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Since Edgy followed Dapper only four months later (Dapper having been a couple of months late), and Dapper was a major long-term release, they took the decision not to offer Edgy via Ship-It.

:cool:

PriceChild
February 9th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Dapper is LTS, very stable, and it therefore recommended to new users to get acquainted with Ubuntu.
Yea... It is a shame :(, but Canonical are very kind to even offer us free CDs in the first place. As I only have dial-up and cannot download the ISO Ill just have to wait for Fiesty Fawn, which will probably be available at ShipIt in 2 monthes...Since Dapper will still be supported throughout the Feisty cycle there is no promise that it will start shipping Feisty over Dapper.

patrickfromspain
February 9th, 2007, 02:18 PM
a shame? They are offering you an entires OS at 0$! And you consider a shame they won't send you the latest CDs at home for free? Come on...

gr0kzer0
February 9th, 2007, 02:46 PM
a shame? They are offering you an entires OS at 0$! And you consider a shame they won't send you the latest CDs at home for free? Come on...

Yeah yeah, I know Ubuntu is a great OS, with great apps thrown in, for absolutely no charge. I know it's super-duper fantastic. My point is: Shuttleworth said free CDs of all Ubuntu distros would be available, always and forever.

Those of us lucky enough to have online access can download the latest distros. But there are a lot of folk who don't have net access. The Shipit deal meant that everyone could get hold of the latest Ubuntu OS. And now... they can't.

Yes, Dapper is LTS. But that doesn't really affect my point.

mykalreborn
February 9th, 2007, 02:53 PM
i don't know if you've noticed, but on the internet there are three types of products:
- free, but infested with adware - like good ol' bs player, with spyware, with viruses or products that just aren't any good
- products you pay or actually download from torrents sites or get the crack for from certain sites
- and there are linux products.
[ok a bit exaggerated, but you get the point]
so it's kinda weird to complain. you should be thankfull for what you have ;)

mips
February 9th, 2007, 02:55 PM
If you like it so much why don't you buy it from one of the many online sources for a buck or two. It's really cheap or are you so cheap that you would not pay for anything good ?

pmj
February 9th, 2007, 02:56 PM
My point is: Shuttleworth said free CDs of all Ubuntu distros would be available, always and forever.

I don't think he has ever said this. He has said that Ubuntu will always be free (not cost money), though. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Jenda
February 9th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Feisty won't be available from shipit, probably only a limited number for locoteams.

You should try contacting your local loco team and ask for a CD. A full list of LoCos is here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList
Only the official ones have the CDs.

Now if you really can't get one from your loco... you can try persuading me to send you one for the price of shipping. If you pay a few cents more, I might consider throwing in a few stickers (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=344600) :)