PDA

View Full Version : Would anyone be interested in a striped-down Ubuntu "Alt" install disk?

MetalMusicAddict
February 9th, 2007, 03:49 AM
With starting the Ubuntu Studio (http://ubuntustudio.org/) project I have learned a great many things. One of which is learning how to create "Alt" install disks.

I was thinking to make a "Alt" disk for myself that didnt include all the applications. Things like OO.o, Ekiga, The GIMP, Gaim, F-Spot. I usually like to add only what I need to a system. I end up removing alot myself anyway. It would look just like Ubuntu, just minus all the apps. System apps stay.

I was thinking if someone wanted it I could share it with Bittorrent. I dont know. Im just throwing it out there.

I'm just toying with the thought of this. Dont bet on it or pester me later about it please. :) I just wanna see if there would be interest. Ive see lots of threads about stripped down systems.

potrick
February 9th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Ubuntu stripped down to barebones gnome? Sounds cool. I like the idea of building from scratch. If you could get it out there, I'd be interested.

Phatfiddler
February 9th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Sure, I'd be interested. On my latpop (using now) I like a full-featured desktop environment with tons of applications. On my desktop where I do all of my work, though, I would like to have a stripped down version. I really hate having to go through and delete everything after a fresh install:( And I mean everything. The only thing I leave is python, glade, system files, and a browser for when I need help with coding. Of course there are administration programs I keep though...

aPello
February 9th, 2007, 07:46 AM
I love the idea. I have been toying with installing a server installation and then installing each application i need individually.

Yours i assume would be the same only with X and other core things pre-installed.

Id love it :) and help seed it as well.

RAV TUX
February 9th, 2007, 07:53 AM
With starting the Ubuntu Studio (http://ubuntustudio.org/) project I have learned a great many things. One of which is learning how to create "Alt" install disks.

I was thinking to make a "Alt" disk for myself that didnt include all the applications. Things like OO.o, Ekiga, The GIMP, Gaim, F-Spot. I usually like to add only what I need to a system. I end up removing alot myself anyway. It would look just like Ubuntu, just minus all the apps. System apps stay.

I was thinking if someone wanted it I could share it with Bittorrent. I dont know. Im just throwing it out there.

I'm just toying with the thought of this. Dont bet on it or pester me later about it please. :) I just wanna see if there would be interest. Ive see lots of threads about stripped down systems.

Yes:popcorn:

anaconda
February 9th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I like the idea.
I would prefer a smaller download file (like 100-200MB) instead of the 700MB they are now. even the alternate CD..

darkoptix
February 9th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I would be interested in that being available, as I have many computers that do not need any extra programs or anything with a basic install.

slimdog360
February 9th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Id use it. I used to use the server install all the time but now a days though I couldnt be bothered installing all the necessities.

AndyCooll
February 9th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Yours i assume would be the same only with X and other core things pre-installed.

Yep, if this is what he means I'd definitely be interested too.

:cool:

MetalMusicAddict
February 9th, 2007, 02:06 PM
It would really just be minus the user applications. It wouldnt just be xserver-core with bare Gnome. Would still have all the apps that people need to configure their system. The Applications menu would just be really bare. :)

Now it looks like I can't remove Firefox because its a depend of some language packs. There might be a OO.o issue like this as well. We're still working on the Ubuntu Studio disks and Im sure we'll work it out.

In the end I think I can shave off about 200 megs off the .iso size. (OO.o is 120 of it!)

Steveire
February 9th, 2007, 02:26 PM
The mini.iso is the way to go.

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/edgy/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

It has the installer and that's about it. You'll have to have your computer connected for it to work. At some stage it'll give you checkboxes for:

Do you want to install:

Ubuntu
Kubuntu
Edubuntu
Server

You tick no boxes and get a command line system.

Then install whatever you want. You only download exactly the packages you want.

You don't have to do a server install and end up running a complete LAMP server you never wanted.

mykalreborn
February 9th, 2007, 02:35 PM
question:
if i download the feisty fawn alternate cd can i install it without beryl and all that stuff? i have an ati and there's no way those things work.

Dragonbite
February 9th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Sign me up.

MetalMusicAddict
February 9th, 2007, 04:26 PM
The mini.iso is the way to go.

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/edgy/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/mini.iso

It has the installer and that's about it. You'll have to have your computer connected for it to work. At some stage it'll give you checkboxes for:

Do you want to install:

Ubuntu
Kubuntu
Edubuntu
Server

You tick no boxes and get a command line system.

Then install whatever you want. You only download exactly the packages you want.

You don't have to do a server install and end up running a complete LAMP server you never wanted.
This is not what Im talking about. ;)

question:
if i download the feisty fawn alternate cd can i install it without beryl and all that stuff? i have an ati and there's no way those things work.
And this belongs in another thread.

paridoth
February 10th, 2007, 05:03 AM
i would love to get one of these, shave time off install and allow more customised feel, not to mention reduced size

djheadley
February 10th, 2007, 05:18 AM
I'm trying to set up older computers for people that can't afford Windows machines. I think this would help me a lot! I could just add what they need or what the computer can run. I like it!