PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning Software Poll

louieb
February 8th, 2007, 03:15 PM
I don't have any problem backing up and restoring a PC before changing disk partitions. Tar works well for backup and restore of Linux . But restoring XP is such a bitch.
The XP backup software needs a floppy drive in order to restore from a full backup. How many of the newer PCs have one? I have trashed more that one XP install while shrinking the windows partition using GParted. So I am thinking of getting a commercial product to resize windows (NTFS) formatted partitions. Just wondering what you all have used and was it trouble free and easy to use.

renzokuken
February 8th, 2007, 03:23 PM
one question, did you defrag the ntfs partition before you shrank it. i think you should always do the defrag first on ntfs, especially on an old drive or one that is over half full

igknighted
February 8th, 2007, 03:25 PM
I don't have any problem backing up and restoring a PC before changing disk partitions. Tar works well for backup and restore of Linux . But restoring XP is such a bitch.
The XP backup software needs a floppy drive in order to restore from a full backup. How many of the newer PCs have one? I have trashed more that one XP install while shrinking the windows partition using GParted. So I am thinking of getting a commercial product to resize windows (NTFS) formatted partitions. Just wondering what you all have used and was it trouble free and easy to use.

Actually, if you run disk-check and defrag your drive several times GParted is about as good as it gets. Partition Magic is the big-name commercial software you hear about, but it has more issues. especially with linux. I suppose one could resize Windows with Partition Magic (hey, if it screws up you have somewhere to send your angry emails to at least :-P), and then create your linux partition with GParted, but I would just use GParted if it were my hard drive.

Eddie Wilson
February 8th, 2007, 03:26 PM
When I deal with a Windows partition I usually use PartitionMagic.
Eddie