PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know of a program that makes an animated Gif work as wallpaper?

RAV TUX
February 8th, 2007, 06:57 AM
of course I would like to have the animation work on the Gif.....

Adamant1988
February 8th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Ooh.. I kind of doubt that a gif would make a good wallpaper... They don't like to be resized and usually they crawl along when you set them as a wallpaper..

But If was going to place any bets anywhere I would say one of the graphical enhancers like XGL or Beryl would be able to do something like that..

FyreBrand
February 8th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Ooh.. I kind of doubt that a gif would make a good wallpaper... They don't like to be resized and usually they crawl along when you set them as a wallpaper..

But If was going to place any bets anywhere I would say one of the graphical enhancers like XGL or Beryl would be able to do something like that..Huh? .gif scale like most other raster graphics. It just depends on their resolution.

Unless there is a plug-in somewhere Beryl doesn't support that.

RAV TUX - I'm trying the kde webdesktop renderer in the advanced options. I'll report back in a minute after I restart X.

Adamant1988
February 8th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Huh? .gif scale like most other raster graphics. It just depends on their resolution.

Unless there is a plug-in somewhere Beryl doesn't support that.

RAV TUX - I'm trying the kde webdesktop renderer in the advanced options. I'll report back in a minute after I restart X.

Hrmmm, I suppose my experience with scaling .gif files has been with the wrong resolution repeatedly, because the ones I resized didn't take well to it. Odd. Well, I'll assume you're correct on this one.

FyreBrand
February 8th, 2007, 07:46 AM
OK RAV TUX I tried the experiment with kwebdesktop and it failed. I took an animated gif and embedded it in a web page. Then I moved the page and graphic to /var/www and pointed to that page. The page loads great, only it's static. Sorry I couldn't figure it out.

RAV TUX
February 8th, 2007, 08:15 AM
OK RAV TUX I tried the experiment with kwebdesktop and it failed. I took an animated gif and embedded it in a web page. Then I moved the page and graphic to /var/www and pointed to that page. The page loads great, only it's static. Sorry I couldn't figure it out.
There must be a way?

lexen
March 3rd, 2007, 04:55 PM
I was a little surprised that Gnome nor KDE were able to have gif backgrounds. I know that it doesn't come up all that often, but a friend of mine had a gif background that slowly faded from one color to another on his mac and it looked great. I would imagine that you could do a lot of cool things with an animated background. Like leafs falling, the tide coming in, or something else cool like that.

I know that there is a way to make VLC player startup with a video as the background, but I think that would eat up too much CPU power.

Just a thought,
Lexen

EdThaSlayer
March 3rd, 2007, 05:24 PM
I do know that Windows is able to have animated .gif wallpapers. :popcorn:
I can't wait till this feature actually comes into the next version of GNOME(or hope they will actually try to code this feature...).
Then I can have some dancer dancing on my background. :P

tagra123
March 3rd, 2007, 05:39 PM
transparent video backgrounds are possible using beryl

I have it setup on a pc using beryl and xwin wrap -- very cool.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=354357

Theres a how-to somewhere on google.

this also

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97248&highlight=mplayer+wallpaper

ComplexNumber
March 3rd, 2007, 06:14 PM
I do know that Windows is able to have animated .gif wallpapers. :popcorn:
I can't wait till this feature actually comes into the next version of GNOME(or hope they will actually try to code this feature...).
Then I can have some dancer dancing on my background. :P
the feature has been there for years in gnome. i can't remember what its called, but in the repos there is an animated cat that runs all around the desktop whilst you're browsing the internet et.

aktiwers
March 3rd, 2007, 06:50 PM
I would love to get the solution as well. Been looking for it for a while now.

jpkotta
March 3rd, 2007, 08:11 PM
If you just want something that's animated, you can try xearth and xsnow. I use xsnow, and I think it actually makes it easier to concentrate on a window in the foreground. It's very nice when you have a good winter wallpaper too.

Other ideas are xfishtank, xine/mplayer using the root window, and pretty much any of the video hacks used by xscreensaver.

<sarcasm>Too bad it's not Windows, because then we could have had a webpage as the wallpaper, because that's a brilliant idea.</sarcasm>

Henry Rayker
March 4th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I know it's probably not a decent solution, but e17 supports animated backgrounds, but I'm not certain as to the format of the wallpaper.

beercz
March 4th, 2007, 12:51 AM
the feature has been there for years in gnome. i can't remember what its called, but in the repos there is an animated cat that runs all around the desktop whilst you're browsing the internet et.
Anyone know the name of the animated cat package?

slimdog360
March 4th, 2007, 01:15 AM
I know it's probably not a decent solution, but e17 supports animated backgrounds, but I'm not certain as to the format of the wallpaper.

yeah, Ive got one going now. pretty cool

http://www1.get-e.org/Backgrounds/Animated/

picpak
March 4th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Anyone know the name of the animated cat package?

oneko.

I remember using this on Windows 95... :)

FyreBrand
March 5th, 2007, 01:29 AM
If you just want something that's animated, you can try xearth and xsnow. I use xsnow, and I think it actually makes it easier to concentrate on a window in the foreground. It's very nice when you have a good winter wallpaper too.

Other ideas are xfishtank, xine/mplayer using the root window, and pretty much any of the video hacks used by xscreensaver.

<sarcasm>Too bad it's not Windows, because then we could have had a webpage as the wallpaper, because that's a brilliant idea.</sarcasm>KDE supports having a web page as a wallpaper but it's a static shot that's update periodically. It doesn't support active dynamic content as far as I can tell.

RAV TUX
March 5th, 2007, 02:17 AM

yeah, Ive got one going now. pretty cool

http://www1.get-e.org/Backgrounds/Animated/Enlightenment is awesome thanks for the 411

seijuro
March 5th, 2007, 02:55 AM
I did some research on this a while back its possible to do in gnome but not in kde easily yet but kde is supposed to pick it up in kde4. For gnome you just need a program that sets an animated gif on a x window there are a couple programs that can do this I don't remember what they are called or the exact config details sorry I should have kept the info but I didn't. However if you want to follow the same research path I did to see if you can grab the details I used google and I searched linux animated background and several related wordings like linux animated wallpaper/gif/etc. There is even one site that explains how do use the x window programs in kde but you have to turn of the kdesktop so thats why I didn't do it.

EDIT: on a quasi related note during this process I also found out that the media screensaver in kde can play video files(wmv, ogg, whatever you have codecs for.) as your screen saver.

ubuntu-mike022465
April 18th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Damn! I apologize for not seeing this thread before when I posted a similar question.

However, can I add a slight slant to the thread... Is it possible to get the animated gif going WITHOUT Beryl/Compiz and using the "nv" driver instead of the nvidia one.

I have problems with the nvidia proprietary driver, so I'm "forced" to use the "nv", which isn't so bad.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

M.

alixthedark
April 25th, 2008, 10:45 PM
<sarcasm>Too bad it's not Windows, because then we could have had a webpage as the wallpaper, because that's a brilliant idea.</sarcasm>

hahaha! funny stuff.I love these forums.
and as for windows. It should just go crawl under a rock and die. lawl.