PDA

View Full Version : Great news from the Haaga-Helia Linux Club

encompass
February 8th, 2007, 06:38 AM
A year ago I created a seminar promoting linux at a school I attend haaga-helia.fi and had great success.
A club was created after the seminar with 95 percent of the members not even having Linux on their computer before.
We have had great activities this last year including install fest, information booths, lan party's.
But the greatest news ever in the club is the schools recognition of the club formally, and the ability of active club members to be able to receive one credit a semester after a short presentation to teachers from the school on what they learned about Linux this that semester. These teachers have no idea what Linux is! A great way for the club to show what people are learning about Linux and what the people think is so cool in Linux.
Cool HUH!?
I am very happy about it and thought I would share my excitedness with everyone here.
Thanks to everyone that has helped my club members install their favorite os. Most members have stuck with ubuntu. we have 15 members that are active and another 15 that come and go.
We don't even have a webpage yet, but that has come to an advantage and reason for everyone to meet and help each other in person.:lolflag: :guitar:

hesee
February 8th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Well done! It really looks like linux is spreading fast now in Finland. Especially through schools.

encompass
February 8th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks, It has been a fun and learning experience for everyone.

cowlip
February 8th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Way cool! :)

CPtAJ
February 8th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Awesome, man! Wish my school had stuff like that back in the day. But then again, no one was interested in computers at the time. Only me and about 2 other guys in different years... and we hated each other so yeah, not much material for a club.