PDA

View Full Version : anyone heard of anyone modding their montior so that it is touchscreen??

presbp
February 8th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Has anyone heard of anyone being able to successfully mod their monitor so that has touchscreen features?

Like buying a kit that walks you through it or just doing it yourself? Anyone heard of this being done?

BarfBag
February 8th, 2007, 05:23 AM
Can't say I have. An LCD screen is way too sensitive to touch - you need one with touch screen capabilities for it to be safe. A CRT, maybe... if you put sensors around the screen that tracked the movement of your finger. That would be too complicated and probably more expensive then just buying a real one, though.

thelocust
February 8th, 2007, 05:24 AM
I don't think this is possible or at least not practical. I would suggest just buying a touch screen monitor.

sloggerkhan
February 8th, 2007, 05:24 AM
I imagine it is possible if you have lots and lots of time and expertise but I'v e nver heard of it being done.

presbp
February 8th, 2007, 05:35 AM
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MTouchSystems/TS/Solutions/TouchScreens/ClearTekII/

What about a product like that.. would that work?

~LoKe
February 8th, 2007, 05:37 AM
You'd basically be destroying the current LCD and spending extra money to make it perform worse than any available touch screen. Sure, it's possible, but so is turning a bread maker into a computer case. Does it make sense to do it? No, not really.

realitycomputer
February 28th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Yes, of course you can convert an lcd to touchscreen, I've just done so to my own 19" lcd.

It's a very easy mod - you buy the touchscreen panel, remove monitor bezel, hold the t/screen panel in place and replace the bezel - simple.

This particular one (like most, I think) is a USB version, so it has a tiny ribbon type cable coming out of the side of the bezel, disappearing around the back of the monitor, where it plugs into a tiny controller board and then on to the PC's USB socket.

It looks fine, doesn't detract much at all from the original screen clarity, if anything.
I kinda like it as it gives the monitor that "glass" look like my laptops have (Clearview, Xbrite, and other various trademark names for the glassy looking screens - you get the idea!)

This is *much* cheaper than buying a touchscreen monitor in the 1st place.
As far as I can see, this is all a "real" touchscreen lcd is anyway - an lcd with the t/screen membrane already factory fitted.

No, it doesn't have any risk of damaging the sensitive lcd screen, as the membrane is mounted on a very thin sheet of "glass", so that sits between the new membrane surface and the actual lcd screen surface.

The only problem I am having is with (K)Ubuntu as I can only find earlier drivers (pre 6.10) and I'm having difficulties setting it up. So far I have the X and Y axis reversed and cannot run the callibration program.

This seems to be a Ubuntu specific problem, as I have it working fine in other OS's
It looks like some makefile editing is in order here ;)