PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm proud.

picpak
February 8th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Today in CompSci, the teacher was going over IE7. (The school computers still have IE6.) Of course, I thought the whole thing looked awful. She then went on to tell us about those newfangled "tab" buttons. (She didn't even know about them, one of the computers had IE7 and a kid showed her.)

Meanwhile, the rest of the class is discussing Firefox, how it's pretty much the same thing before MS did it, and how you can avoid those stupid tab buttons by pressing Ctrl+T.

Was that ever sweet.

%hMa@?b<C
February 8th, 2007, 01:02 AM
thats swell:popcorn:

picpak
February 8th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Yeah, I was amazed. I never showed any of them Firefox.

Other things I learned:

An RSS feed is just a newfangled gadget no one will ever use. "Feed list"? Sounds like farming.

Having a search bar built in a browser is pointless.

It's not Internet Explorer. It's the Internet. This is the seventh version of the Internet.

And while she was extolling all of IE's virtues, you could see her getting frustrated. Especially she saw there was no menu bar, and when she added it, saw it randomly plastered on the screen. C'mon MS, you're a multi-billion dollar company, surely you can come up with a decent location for a menu bar.

Adamant1988
February 8th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Today in CompSci, the teacher was going over IE7. (The school computers still have IE6.) Of course, I thought the whole thing looked awful. She then went on to tell us about those newfangled "tab" buttons. (She didn't even know about them, one of the computers had IE7 and a kid showed her.)

Meanwhile, the rest of the class is discussing Firefox, how it's pretty much the same thing before MS did it, and how you can avoid those stupid tab buttons by pressing Ctrl+T.

Was that ever sweet.

I love the design of IE7, I find it slick and elegant, and nowhere near as crowded as versions past. I find that my browser of choice (Flock) looks a lot like it, which works for me just fine.

As for the tab button, Yeah, there is a certain point when adding more buttons is no good, but it's easier for some people to hit a button. Frankly I want the Showcase buttons to start showing up in default like they did in IE7, or at least give me tab Thumbnails like Opera does.

Choad
February 8th, 2007, 01:18 AM
they actually taught you that ie7 is "the internet"?

rocknrolf77
February 8th, 2007, 01:29 AM
I have only one thing to say. Microsoft make people "computer idiots" :guitar:

I have never learned so much about computing than after I started using linux.

How is it with osx? Is it the same? Haven't used a mac since before osx, and I just felt it was too easy so I couldn't find out anything. Or maybe it was because there was no challenge I really just didn't bother. :)

muguwmp67
February 8th, 2007, 01:33 AM
As a part-time university instructor, it saddens me to see how few full-time staff spend time learning about current technology. Its true that I don't have a CS master's degree, so never learned how to write an OS, compiler or network protocol, but I do have an understanding of what the current IT issues are today (which is why I was asked to teach).

I think Microsoft has committed a major faux-pas with IE7. I've only used it a few times, and feel that the IE UI feels really unfamiliar now. If this is a sign of what has been changed in Vista, I'm glad I don't plan on installing it.

My mother called me the next day after she installed IE7 through the Windows auto-update, She simply couldn't figure out how to use it anymore. I. Installed firefox, and she was fine. She especially liked the ad-block extension I installed. Somehow I think that flying pigs will be throwing snowballs in hell before we see an ad-block extension either provided by or endorsed by microsoft.

Of course, the Microsoft Certified Professionals are going to have a wonderful time charging people for training in how to use it now, so I guess microsfot has its reasons.

TBOL3
February 8th, 2007, 01:40 AM

Was that ever sweet.

I was talking with some people I know (the same ones that said linux kills your harddrive). We got on the topic of firefox, and they new about it and loved it!?!.

That really doesn't make sense because I would think that the same people that make firefox, at least help in linux.

seijuro
February 8th, 2007, 02:29 AM
Yeah, I was amazed. I never showed any of them Firefox.

Other things I learned:

An RSS feed is just a newfangled gadget no one will ever use. "Feed list"? Sounds like farming.

Having a search bar built in a browser is pointless.

It's not Internet Explorer. It's the Internet. This is the seventh version of the Internet.

And while she was extolling all of IE's virtues, you could see her getting frustrated. Especially she saw there was no menu bar, and when she added it, saw it randomly plastered on the screen. C'mon MS, you're a multi-billion dollar company, surely you can come up with a decent location for a menu bar.

Sounds like the teacher I had for intro to computer information systems. I always have an urge to ask people that clueless what they are smoking and why the h*** they are trying to teach something they know nothing about.

Polygon
February 8th, 2007, 04:26 AM
I love the design of IE7, I find it slick and elegant, and nowhere near as crowded as versions past. I find that my browser of choice (Flock) looks a lot like it, which works for me just fine.

As for the tab button, Yeah, there is a certain point when adding more buttons is no good, but it's easier for some people to hit a button. Frankly I want the Showcase buttons to start showing up in default like they did in IE7, or at least give me tab Thumbnails like Opera does.

you could probley download a theme for firefox that makes it look like IE7 :D

picpak
February 8th, 2007, 02:20 PM
they actually taught you that ie7 is "the internet"?

Internet 7. I'm not making this up.

She's also telling us that Ctrl-buttons are becoming obsolete. Yes folks, that's why they make keyboards that list the shortcuts right on them. Our entire class uses the Ctrl-buttons.

Even when my sister was in school she said she has no idea what she's talking about :p

EdThaSlayer
February 8th, 2007, 03:39 PM
When I tried M$ Internet Explorer 7(when my laptop still had Windows) I couldn't figure out anything. Its just too confusing and LACKS too many things. It just doesn't have all the default buttons we expect a browser to have.

lucia_engel
February 8th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Is this a high school or university/college Comp Sci course?

Adamant1988
February 8th, 2007, 06:07 PM
you could probley download a theme for firefox that makes it look like IE7 :D

I could, but I personally enjoy flock. I find it well done, and it integrates well into the services and such that I use. FireFox is an excellent browser, and that's what I would be using if it weren't for Flock. 3rd in line is Opera.

picpak
February 8th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Is this a high school or university/college Comp Sci course?

Just plain old high school.

Ironically, with the new IE7, our accounts can't add the menu bar back, so we HAVE to use keyboard shortcuts to do simple things like print. There goes her "nobody uses the keyboard" idea.