PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Virtualization needs to be in Feisty+1

xpaulbettsx
February 7th, 2007, 04:39 PM
http://blog.paulbetts.org/index.php/2007/02/07/this-needs-to-be-a-built-in-program-post-haste/

This could be the killer feature for Ubuntu, I wrote about it on my blog. Basically, now that the kernel has built-in virtualization support, Ubuntu should find all your other OSs installed and write out QEMU / VMware files for them, so that they can run in a virtual machine out-of-the-box!

Medieval_Creations
February 9th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I dunno how they plan to implement virtualization in Ubuntu. But that is definatley the most exciting new kernel feature I can't wait to play around with. Once Feisty is released.

dvarsam
February 9th, 2007, 07:12 PM
http://blog.paulbetts.org/index.php/2007/02/07/this-needs-to-be-a-built-in-program-post-haste/

This could be the killer feature for Ubuntu, I wrote about it on my blog. Basically, now that the kernel has built-in virtualization support, Ubuntu should find all your other OSs installed and write out QEMU / VMware files for them, so that they can run in a virtual machine out-of-the-box!

Hello!
It would be very nice if somebody could run Windows from within his Ubuntu machine...
And hopefully in some easier method/way compared to using "wine".
However, with all that said...
... I really wonder:

Will that pose any security threat to the Ubuntu OS?
I mean, regarding the viruses, spyware, etc etc...
Thanks.

Medieval_Creations
February 9th, 2007, 08:54 PM
It would be very nice if somebody could run Windows from within his Ubuntu machine...

You can already do this. All my PCs at home run linux as the primary OS. I run XP with VirtualBox and I've also used QEMU to run XP virtually.

dvarsam
February 9th, 2007, 09:00 PM
You can already do this. All my PCs at home run Linux as the primary OS. I run XP with VirtualBox and I've also used QEMU to run XP virtually.

IF all these exist, what is this guy talking about?

Linux just got kernel virtual machine support in 2.6.20. Why can’t someone write a program that will call out libparted and get this info automatically, then generate an appropriate VMware or QEMU file? Furthermore, why can’t it do that for every OS on the system automatically, and have Ubuntu come with QEMU preinstalled? Automatically being able to run all your other OSs in virtualization out-of-the-box is huge; that and 3D on the desktop are the next two huge advances in desktop computing.

What is all this about?
Thanks.

Medieval_Creations
February 9th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Right now there are programs like VirtualBox, QEMU & VMWare that can be run in Linux that let you to setup and run virtual machines. (IE: Windows XP on your Linux Desktop).

The great thing about kernel 2.6.20 is that the tools needed to run these virtual machines will be built into the kernel. This will make progrmas like the ones I''ve listed either obsolete or give them much more functionality and better efficiency, not to mention better access to the hardware on your pc.

I'm really not sure of the specifics though, I haven't played with the new kernel yet. :)

xpod
February 9th, 2007, 09:29 PM
And hopefully in some easier method/way compared to using "wine".

You certainly need to have a look at Virtualbox if you want an easy way to set up virtual XP`s etc.
Some of the other methods may seem virtually impossible to comprehend but this makes it easy.....even for us noobs;-)

http://www.virtualbox.org/