PDA

View Full Version : "Welcome" informations on fresh install

Sam
May 19th, 2005, 03:03 PM
I see a lot of redundant questions on the forum (#1 is about root). Why not make a welcome message when Ubuntu is run for the first time (like the "take tour of windows xp" but just a web page or a dialog window) with all the basic information for getting started. It could contain:
Quick description of the main features of Ubuntu (and explain how root works with a link to more infos)
A "now-what-to-do-with-my-new-Ubuntu" checklist
UbuntuGuide URL (it will avoid a lot of new threads here)
Ubuntu wiki URL (lot of people doesn't use it)

Zelut
May 19th, 2005, 03:05 PM
That sounds like a good idea. Make it optional, of course. I always hated having to watch the XP tutorial everytime I reinstalled. It was a pain.

I'm sure if there was a quick HOW-TO included in the installation it'd help a lot of people. Just as you said, describe the root setup (or lack thereof), give a link to the ubuntuguide and the wiki. Sounds like a great idea to me.

Sam
May 19th, 2005, 03:44 PM
That sounds like a good idea. Make it optional, of course. I always hated having to watch the XP tutorial everytime I reinstalled. It was a pain.

I'm sure if there was a quick HOW-TO included in the installation it'd help a lot of people. Just as you said, describe the root setup (or lack thereof), give a link to the ubuntuguide and the wiki. Sounds like a great idea to me.
Of course, this will appear only once, but there could be a checkbox for enabling it at the next start.

rjs
May 19th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I had the exact same thought a week or two ago, and posted it to the breezy section of the forum. I was told to join the doc team, and when i did that, they told me to make a wikipage of what i envisaged, so i started off at <https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/InstallationTutorial>. I havent done much yet, cause ive had a whole heap of uni work, but after tomorrow, i should have lots of free time, so ill try and flesh it out a whole heap. Anyway, if you are interested go and have a look and add to it.

peace out,
-rjs

Sam
May 19th, 2005, 04:01 PM
I had the exact same thought a week or two ago, and posted it to the breezy section of the forum. I was told to join the doc team, and when i did that, they told me to make a wikipage of what i envisaged, so i started off at <https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/InstallationTutorial>. I havent done much yet, cause ive had a whole heap of uni work, but after tomorrow, i should have lots of free time, so ill try and flesh it out a whole heap. Anyway, if you are interested go and have a look and add to it.

peace out,
-rjs
Excellent, I hope people here will post suggestions.

totalshredder
May 19th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Excellent, I hope people here will post suggestions.
Damnsmalllinux has a nice one, it starts up dillo and you see a little html page with some info on linux. Very helpful (considering it was my first distro). I'm all for it, it would be extremely helpful.

rjs
May 22nd, 2005, 10:17 AM
Ok all you smart geeks out there - how do i take a screen shot with a menu open?

paz y amor,
-rjs

Sam
May 22nd, 2005, 08:50 PM
Ok all you smart geeks out there - how do i take a screen shot with a menu open?

paz y amor,
-rjs
You'd better open a new thread if your question is offtopic.

Open a terminal, run this command:
$ sleep 5 ; import -window root ~/screenshot.pngYou have 5 seconds to minimize the terminal window and open your menu before the screenshot is taken.

sethmahoney
May 22nd, 2005, 09:05 PM
I see a lot of redundant questions on the forum (#1 is about root). Why not make a welcome message when Ubuntu is run for the first time (like the "take tour of windows xp" but just a web page or a dialog window) with all the basic information for getting started. It could contain:
Quick description of the main features of Ubuntu (and explain how root works with a link to more infos)
A "now-what-to-do-with-my-new-Ubuntu" checklist
UbuntuGuide URL (it will avoid a lot of new threads here)
Ubuntu wiki URL (lot of people doesn't use it)
This is SUCH a great idea. One additional thing to add to the "hey, welcome to Ubuntu" page would be a link/button to the "Add/Remove programs" app. When I installed Hoary I had no idea it was there, and it would make a good starting point for new users to add stuff they need.

rjs
May 23rd, 2005, 03:59 AM
You'd better open a new thread if your question is offtopic.

Open a terminal, run this command:
$ sleep 5 ; import -window root ~/screenshot.pngYou have 5 seconds to minimize the terminal window and open your menu before the screenshot is taken.

Thanks i'll give it a go.

i didnt start a new thread, since it wasnt really offtopic - i need the screenshot of a menu for the wiki, where we are making what this thread was discussing.

This is SUCH a great idea. One additional thing to add to the "hey, welcome to Ubuntu" page would be a link/button to the "Add/Remove programs" app. When I installed Hoary I had no idea it was there, and it would make a good starting point for new users to add stuff they need.

as we say over on the wikimedia projects (wikipedia, wikinews, wiktionary, wikibooks etc) {{sofixit}}. It's a wiki, feel free to edit it, and share the wikilove.

paz y amor,
-rjs