PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this SATA CD drive-- I can't boot from my IDE drives :(

presbp
February 7th, 2007, 03:22 PM
My motherboard is dumb and IDE DVD/CD drives only work correctly unless they have drivers installed because they are controlled by the JMicron RAID Controller which emulates IDE. The only CD I have been able to boot from is Ubuntu because there is a driver for the JMicron included I guess.

I want to try and use Linux from Scratch and try to get Puppy Linux running as well. Should I buy this Internal SATA CD drive, it is about $15.50 and then $5.50 shipping. I already have 2 IDE DVD/CD burners in my PC so I don't see the need to have a 3rd DVD drive especially a burner seeing as how I don't use them much anyway.
I don't think I will need a SATA DVD unless I will need to boot from a DVD in the future. I cannot find a SATA DVD drive in stock for under $50 and I will most likely be using this drive only for booting so I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a drive I don't want for anything but booting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106038

Polygon
February 7th, 2007, 04:08 PM
i personally can boot from my IDE dvd drive, so its something weird with your config

and slowly ide is getting replaced with SATA, my teacher who recently bought a computer was suprised to find that it was completly SATA, not even a place to plug any IDE drives on the motherboard

so if you do decide to go sata, your pretty safe.

mips
February 7th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Rather try and find a solution to your problem before spending money.