PDA

View Full Version : Look at Vista prices and say "Thanks, Ubuntu!"

stig
February 7th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Brew a coffee, sit down comfortably, and have a look at the prices of Windows Vista on this Amazon page. Then bathe in the glow of satisfaction that you are an Ubuntu user!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_38572665_1/026-6954764-2730830?ie=UTF8&docId=1000041733

saulgoode
February 7th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Considering the extended length of time between Windows upgrades, I don't really consider their prices to be that out of line. If it is going to be another six or seven years before you have to replace Vista (and MS continues to offer "service packs" for free) then your cost for even the Ultimate Edition would be amortized to about $100(£50) per year.

Considering that Mac OS X would be expected to require (based on the record from 10.1 to 10.4) four or five upgrades during that same time -- at $129(£65) per upgrade -- Vista's pricing would seem quite competitive with that of Apple (though Apple does offer some nice "family package" rates).

Even Red Hat's Enterprise support comes at a rate of about $99/year (I think).

Of course, using a free (as in beer) distribution does save you $$$/£££s and we are right to be grateful for that (and perhaps even be willing to donate a small portion of those savings to a Free Software project :) ).

newbie2
February 7th, 2007, 12:21 PM
RYAN SHROUT, over at PC Perspective, has a cautionary tale for those that have jumped onto the Vista operating system bandwagon.

He says that as he continues to use Vista, he's discovering more problems and not just with graphics applications and monitors.

No. He bought a Linksys wireless print server gizmo under a year ago and has discovered that the firm has no plans whatever to support it.

We wonder how many other hardware devices are going to be or are incompatible with Vista. Perhaps the vendors should be rather more transparent about this than they're currently being. That is to say, rather than listing products that do have Vista support, listing the products that don't.

And, we expect, there's probably heaps of kit out there that are still being sold that could end up giving you a mare of a year. There's more here. µ
http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=37480
http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=3476
):P

stig
February 7th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Considering the extended length of time between Windows upgrades, I don't really consider their prices to be that out of line. If it is going to be another six or seven years before you have to replace Vista (and MS continues to offer "service packs" for free) then your cost for even the Ultimate Edition would be amortized to about $100(£50) per year.
[snip]
Of course, using a free (as in beer) distribution does save you $$$/£££s and we are right to be grateful for that (and perhaps even be willing to donate a small portion of those savings to a Free Software project :) ).

But if you buy Windows Vista, try it and decide you prefer something else you've lost the money you paid for it. Another great thing about free (as beer) distros is that you can keep trying them out and changing until you find what you like. This was one of the big attractions to me.

stig
February 7th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Quote: "We wonder how many other hardware devices are going to be or are incompatible with Vista. Perhaps the vendors should be rather more transparent about this than they're currently being. That is to say, rather than listing products that do have Vista support, listing the products that don't".Unquote

A big computer retailer here in the UK is advertising Vista PCs but in the same ad it has a big box saying something like "Buy your Vista compatible accessories now!" - the box then shows a whole range of things including printers and digital cameras. So I guess, many people will think they have to get a new printer, a new camera etc etc when they get Vista. What a money-earner!

Dr. C
February 7th, 2007, 05:14 PM
£350.99 for Vista ultimate. That translates to $819.22 (CAD) here in Canada. Ouch!

Hex_Mandos
February 7th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Considering the extended length of time between Windows upgrades, I don't really consider their prices to be that out of line.

Unless they make another Me.

Choad
February 7th, 2007, 05:39 PM

Considering that Mac OS X would be expected to require (based on the record from 10.1 to 10.4) four or five upgrades during that same time -- at $129(£65) per upgrade -- Vista's pricing would seem quite competitive with that of Apple (though Apple does offer some nice "family package" rates).

Even Red Hat's Enterprise support comes at a rate of about $99/year (I think).

i still cant get over your avatar. its just so funny for some reason.

it desrves to have a little game made about it. or at the very least a small cartoon