PDA

View Full Version : Some Things You Might Not Know About Javascript

SuperMike
February 7th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Here's some things you might not know about Javascript.

* It used to be called Livescript at Netscape, eons ago.

* Yes, you can start your variables with a dollar sign like you do in Perl or PHP. $Kewl.

* On Ubuntu, ngs-js is a Javascript interpreter that is "good enough" and has a lot of functionality for all kinds of uses, including the same kinds of things you might use Perl on a server, and it has a very tiny footprint. It also can be used as a CGI language in your web server. Javascript doesn't have to be solely a web thing, though -- you can use it for monitoring servers, for instance.

* Some people don't know that when you don't use 'var' in a function, it becomes a variable in the global scope instead of the local scope, and that's "expensive" (consumes resources).

* I like how Javascript isn't that hokey. I mean, Perl's interesting here or there, but it has some oddball things in it like the 'else if' being called 'elsif' and so on.

runningwithscissors
February 7th, 2007, 09:55 AM
And here's something that everyone knows about Javascript

* It is a pain in the ****
* It is ugly
* Abused beyond belief (even more now that AJAX is here) as people think they can have truely dynamic apps
* Every browser has a different implementation (nobody cares about the W3C)
* Used to make those annoying pop ups and alert boxes

Bring it some sanity! Please! Or kill it!

Wybiral
February 7th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Javascript isn't THAT bad if used responsibly... It's kind-of like alcohol!

SuperMike
February 7th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Scissors: perhaps your real pain with Javascript is not with Javascript at all but is, instead, a dislike of the browser-specific versions of it and the DHTML linkage and/or AJAX. So, take all that away and imagine it being used as a language to interface with just console or file I/O, for instance, such as what you might see with ngs-js. When you begin to look at it from that perspective, it sure does look like a beautiful language. Sure, it has its quirks here or there, but much of any quirks you have with it can be undone by creating some functions.

dannyboy79
February 7th, 2007, 04:22 PM
javascript IS awesome because it's OS independent. You can write a script and use it on your pda, windows, linux, or wherever.

lloyd mcclendon
February 8th, 2007, 12:46 AM
the awesomeness of javascript has really remained a secret to most developers.

http://www.crockford.com/javascript/javascript.html

SuperMike
February 8th, 2007, 03:01 AM
the awesomeness of javascript has really remained a secret to most developers.

http://www.crockford.com/javascript/javascript.html

Exactly.

When used via ngs-js, my opinion of Javascript turned around. Sure, ngs-js could stand some improvement, but it's "good enough" as is. Moreover, the developer left the doorway open for me to write a C library and link it in via the Javascript, giving it a way to do even more.

As for the other quirks I dislike about Javascript, I can easily overcome them with some functions.

Another cool thing about Javascript is that I can remember it fairly easy once I get going. I don't have to keep looking junk up.

Now, granted, when you have to do browser-exception type work, or mess with DHTML or XPCOM, yeah, Javascript gets hairy, but it's not Javascript's fault -- it's the fault of the way DHTML and XPCOM were implemented in a klunky interface, and the fault of all these programmers thinking that the w3c.org is just a jumble of letters.