PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs seeks online music DRM removal

TheRingmaster
February 6th, 2007, 10:40 PM
after reading this article, I rethought my position on apple computers. What about you.

Apple's Jobs calls for DRM-free world | Tech News on ZDNet (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6156763.html)

aysiu
February 6th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Moved to Other OS Talk.

SunnyRabbiera
February 6th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Go steve!
Now to change the policies about hardware :p

IYY
February 6th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Very interesting; I hope it's not just to calm the European countries.

meng
February 6th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Talk, meet action. Uh, action? Where'd it go?
:)

Seriously, I'd be the first to offer congratulations when I the deeds go with the words.
=D>

presbp
February 6th, 2007, 11:23 PM
that is pretty cool. I didn't really understand what the Zune guy what talking about with subscription music.

Adamant1988
February 6th, 2007, 11:39 PM
after reading this article, I rethought my position on apple computers. What about you.

Apple's Jobs calls for DRM-free world | Tech News on ZDNet (http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6156763.html)

I've always liked Apple, unfortunately my Fiancee can't stand their products, so I don't think we'll be using them in the home much. Haha. She hates the simplicity of them, but I personally go for the "Simple and elegant" look.

It is kind of ironic to see that Apple of all the companies in the world, is calling for DRM to be gone. Weird, weird, weird. But I respect and appreciate his stance on this.

hanzomon4
February 7th, 2007, 12:03 AM
This isn't really "other os" talk it's more about DRM.....
Anyway, I never looked at DRM this way (http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughtsonmusic/) before.... Good points..

Hex_Mandos
February 7th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Actually, that doesn't make Apple less evil. It's more like saying "We'd be really evil if we could get away with it, but DRM is annoying people (and, fundamentally, lawmakers) too much to insist on it".

muguwmp67
February 7th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Actually, that doesn't make Apple less evil. It's more like saying "We'd be really evil if we could get away with it, but DRM is annoying people (and, fundamentally, lawmakers) too much to insist on it".
I'm don't think Apple had any incentive to use DRM except that it was necessary to bring labels to Itunes.

I'm glad he pointed out that only 3% of the songs on the average Ipod were DRM'd. Perhaps that will help the labels gain some perspective.

fenian
February 7th, 2007, 12:56 AM
I have always been of the opinion that it is the recording and film industries who should be held accountable for DRM.Apple,Microsoft, and anyone who wants to distribute content from major labels/studios is forced into DRM by those labels/studios.Any distributor of any product wants to be able to distibute their product to the broadest base of consumers ,DRM is an obstacle to mass distribution.Apple and most other providers would rather have the ability to provide content to anyone regardless of what hardware they run.

Phatfiddler
February 7th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Here is the article from BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6337275.stm)

"...the abolition of copy protection software known as digital rights management (DRM) would be good for consumers..." -Steve Jobs

Your thoughts on this?

sloggerkhan
February 7th, 2007, 04:57 AM
It would be good for consumers.

bsalt
February 7th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Ahh, the day Steve Jobs embraces Linux will be a sweet day, at that.

saulgoode
February 7th, 2007, 05:15 AM
If Jobs weren't such a pathological liar, I might consider his comments sincere.

fenian
February 7th, 2007, 05:51 AM
Apple (and anyone else who wants to distribute content online) wants to be able to sell to anyone
regardless of what system/hardware they run,DRM is an obstacle to this.Getting rid of DRM would
be good for both consumers and providers.Unfortunately the rights holders (record/film studios,publishing houses and other media conglomerates)are unlikely to embrace the idea of getting rid of DRM.They more than likely will continue insist that DRM is used and maintained in order for providers to offer content they hold the rights to.

Polygon
February 7th, 2007, 06:11 AM
it would be good as the itunes music store is very cool, and its easy to buy songs (and i have a few unused gift cards to it because i hate the drm)

but i would love it even more if they released the songs as FLAC or OGG, and maybe added support for those to the ipod, that would be godly.

aysiu
February 7th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Moved to Other OS Talk.
The vote seems against me--back in the Cafe and merged.

adam.tropics
February 7th, 2007, 07:07 AM
To me DRM just seems a pointless exercise, because at the end of the day, if it can be seen on a screen or heard through a speaker, then someone with not very much an IQ can find a way to redistribute it! In fact the only way to truly protect the movies/music, would be to ban seeing or listening to them altogether which is clearly ridiculous! Better to just make it open, people will not stop buying it. I am though a tad skeptical as to Apples motives for bringing this all up now. They have left it up until their product is by far and away the market leader, and the only likely opposition (ie with enough backing to possibly pull it off) has pretty much landed dead in the water before it even started.

prizrak
February 7th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Considering Apple's share in the online music business they could EASILY have abolished DRM. They have not done so yet so w/e Jobs says doesn't impress me. When he actually follows through and puts some pressure on the "Big four" as he calls them then we will talk.

saulgoode
February 7th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Considering Apple's share in the online music business they could EASILY have abolished DRM. They have not done so yet so w/e Jobs says doesn't impress me. When he actually follows through and puts some pressure on the "Big four" as he calls them then we will talk.

QFT. Also, is it not the case that iTunes adds DRM to music even for labels that don't demand it?

prizrak
February 7th, 2007, 08:32 PM
QFT. Also, is it not the case that iTunes adds DRM to music even for labels that don't demand it?
Far as I know iTunes DRM's everything by default. I think that it also adds DRM to CD's you rip with iTunes not sure about that tho.

BarfBag
February 7th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Far as I know iTunes DRM's everything by default. I think that it also adds DRM to CD's you rip with iTunes not sure about that tho.

It doesn't. Just encodes them in .m4p.

sloggerkhan
February 7th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Yeah, there is no DRM on ripped CDs. The most common way to get around Itunes DRM is to burn a CD and reimport it.

Erik Trybom
February 7th, 2007, 09:30 PM
I agree that the record companies are responsible for most DRM. I believe Steve Jobs when he says he's against it, and I know Bill Gates has voiced similar opinions.

Why do the record companies want DRM then? They're not utterly stupid. They do know that DRM, in the form it exists today, doesn't stop a single pirate.

I came across the answer a few years ago in an article by Ernest Miller of the Yale Law School. Here it is: http://copyfight.corante.com/archives/003559.html

He says that "DRM works, just not for piracy protection" and then goes on describing the benefits of DRM for the record companies. Highly recommended reading.

mips
February 7th, 2007, 09:46 PM
DRM is about maximising profits, nothing else.

aretei
February 8th, 2007, 04:20 AM
I expected people to be more mindful than just arbitrarily picking sides on each little comments like this. When did Apple ever cared about consumers? Jobs' article was solely intended to boost sales of iTunes which according to some sources have been losing its share and falling on profits. Just look at how they sell their iP*d series. When were they ever consumer-friendly? I hate Apple just as much as Microsoft.

Good article on BBC little insight on Apple's move (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6338603.stm)

Since the digital world is starting to move against the regulation of digital formats, Apple simply made an attempt to switch sides to improve their corporate image and anticipated where the money is in future.

aysiu
February 10th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Just read an excellent blog on the issue:
http://hari.literaryforums.org/2007/02/10/some-thoughts-on-apple-and-drm/

gummibaerchen
February 10th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Imagine a world where every online store sells DRM-free music encoded in open licensable formats.

No I don't want to imagine. DRM free is nice, but completely free would be much better.

Licensable formats is what you want, probably because you have already talked to music-labels how great QuickTime audio is... selfish man ;)

mackinax
February 10th, 2007, 03:43 PM
"Steve Jobs seeks online music DRM removal"
"Apple's Jobs calls for DRM-free music"

Yeah right! At Apple's music store, artists / labels aren't given a choice to sell their music without Apple's DRM.

Bill Gates has also criticized DRM. Let's not get fooled by headlines and propaganda.

pmj
February 10th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Steve Jobs is not our friend. He is only criticizing music with DRM because he thinks he can make more money without it, or improve his image by just saying that he is against it, while knowing it'll never happen.

gummibaerchen
February 10th, 2007, 10:20 PM
Yeah, if he is really interested in DRM-free music, he could add the same artists like Magnatunes (the one that is now in amaroK) to his iTunes Music Store.

mykalreborn
February 10th, 2007, 10:50 PM
money-hungrey man as he may be, it's still a good thing that mr jobs is trying to stop - or at least giving the word out - that DRM is not the way to go. i mean, at the end of the day, this could be the beggining of the end for DRM. maybe after this microsoft will say Zune won't be DRM any more, and then the next and the next, and out of all their hypocrisy and all something good will be born: DRM-free music.

mykalreborn
February 10th, 2007, 11:12 PM
and a reply to mister job's proposal. http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/10/1713257
but is it just me or did this he just write so many words without actually saying anything?

pmj
February 11th, 2007, 12:10 AM
money-hungrey man as he may be, it's still a good thing that mr jobs is trying to stop - or at least giving the word out - that DRM is not the way to go. i mean, at the end of the day, this could be the beggining of the end for DRM. maybe after this microsoft will say Zune won't be DRM any more, and then the next and the next, and out of all their hypocrisy and all something good will be born: DRM-free music.

I'll believe that he wants to stop DRM when he removes all copy protection from OS X. Which will be never. Jobs has said that running OS X on a PC is theft and that you'll burn in hell for it. If he was the head of a record label instead of Apple, he'd say the same thing about anyone wanting DRM-free music.

mykalreborn
February 11th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I'll believe that he wants to stop DRM when he removes all copy protection from OS X. Which will be never. Jobs has said that running OS X on a PC is theft and that you'll burn in hell for it. If he was the head of a record label instead of Apple, he'd say the same thing about anyone wanting DRM-free music.

you've kinda missed my point. i'm not saying jobs is a good guy or anything like that. for me the simple fact that their security centre was made with the help of the NSA (http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2007/01/09/nsa-provided-security-help-for-windows-mac-os-x/) is desgusting enough to think of him as some kind of "savoiour".
my point was that maybe the other companies that use drm - sony or microsoft - would start asking for DRM to be abolished just to keep up with the trends - sort of speak. of course all that is not likely to happen. ;)

23meg
February 11th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Steve Jobs seeking DRM removal sounds a lot like Steve Ballmer seeking IE standards compilance or George W. Bush seeking Iraq troop removal. All three have vested interests in the continuation of the restraints, flux and public inconvenience that what they're saying they "would love to do, and will do at some point, but not right now" will put an end to.

Old Pink
February 11th, 2007, 02:35 AM
In my opinion, it's merely a response to this (http://www.mbhoy.com/29-01-2007/norway-declares-itunes-illegal).

My thoughts: http://www.mbhoy.com/08-02-2007/steve-jobs-publicly-opposes-drm

Polygon
February 11th, 2007, 04:56 AM
you've kinda missed my point. i'm not saying jobs is a good guy or anything like that. for me the simple fact that their security centre was made with the help of the NSA (http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2007/01/09/nsa-provided-security-help-for-windows-mac-os-x/) is desgusting enough to think of him as some kind of "savoiour".
my point was that maybe the other companies that use drm - sony or microsoft - would start asking for DRM to be abolished just to keep up with the trends - sort of speak. of course all that is not likely to happen. ;)

the NSA also contributed security help for the linux kernel as well.

cowlip
February 11th, 2007, 07:57 AM
God damn does DRM suck. I just tried to stream a Sopranos video from the Windows MEdia Center Edition on one of my computers to my XBMC and it won't play because of frickin copy protection. WIndows MEdia Player won't even play it, _ON THE SAME COMPUTER_.

THANKS MICROSOFT >:-|

/rant

mykalreborn
February 11th, 2007, 08:48 AM
the NSA also contributed security help for the linux kernel as well.

that is true. but it's out of the point. ;)

russell.h
February 13th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Jobs didn't say that they are going to remove DRM, all he did was parade around as part of a big PR stunt so his stupid fanbois can worship him. I'll use windows before I ever use a mac.

tigerpants
February 13th, 2007, 09:39 PM

Ironic, coming from the man that was at the forefront of DRM implementation. He's only changed his tune because of the consumer backlash against Apple's restrictive DRM practices. What a hypocrit.

Both Apple and MS could and should have done more to stand up for the rights of their consumers - instead they caved straight into the idiotic demands of the music and film industry. Neither company are worthy of respect in this matter - they both treat their customers like their the enemy.