PDA

View Full Version : If you are not running (K/X/Ed)Ubuntu, then what are you running?

Sunnz
February 6th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I've noticed that there are few people here not running any version of Ubuntu... so I am just wondering, what are you actually running, and if you are not running Ubuntu, then why are you here?

ewankho
February 6th, 2007, 10:48 AM
How do you know they're not running *ubuntu?

runningwithscissors
February 6th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Gentoo.

I just signed up because I saw a few topics in the Programming forum which I felt like responding to.

slimdog360
February 6th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Gentoo.

I just signed up because I saw a few topics in the Programming forum which I felt like responding to.

trying to steal our secrets eh. Quick everyone hide.

steven8
February 6th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Set DRM on stun. . .

manmower
February 6th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Arch Linux.

I tried several distributions over the past few years but always switched back to Windows almost immediately. A few months ago I finally gave it a serious try. Ubuntu lasted about two or three weeks on my machine before ******* me off and sending me looking for other distros , but I just stuck with this forum after switching. It's definitely one of the bigger and more light-hearted Linux related fora on the web. Even though there are some elements here who annoy the hell out of me, there are a lot of knowledgeable and enjoyable people too. ;)

mips
February 6th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Sabayon Linux

antenna
February 6th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Arch Linux, I used Ubuntu for a few weeks a year or so ago and have kind of hung around ever since. Some interesting things come up occasionally.

SunnyRabbiera
February 6th, 2007, 12:18 PM
How does arch linux work for yall who use it here?
I heard its pretty sweet.

purdy hate machine
February 6th, 2007, 12:31 PM
SLED 10 which had been rock solid and problem free since installation. I have not used Ubuntu since Hoary but I still browse these forums now and then as Ubuntu was my introduction into the Linux world.

Sunnz
February 6th, 2007, 12:32 PM
From what I heard arch is a light, easy, minimalistic distro for those who already know a thing or two about *nix.

I have been running Mac OS X, Gentoo, FreeBSD and OpenBSD myself; but I remained here because I found the topics/discussions here are more 'human'.

runningwithscissors
February 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM
I have been running Mac OS X, Gentoo, FreeBSD and OpenBSD myself; but I remained here because I found the topics/discussions here are more 'human'.
I post regularly on the Gentoo Forums. I can assure you that most of us are 'human', and most of our topics too are quite within the realm of human concerns. ;)

Sunnz
February 6th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I go there too... not as often though...

harley_frog
February 6th, 2007, 01:12 PM
MEPIS, but trying out Ubuntu. I still like the KDE desktop, so I may switch to Kubuntu.

I use MEPIS because I found the default package base to be the most practical for day-to-day use (KPlayer, Java, Flashplayer, Real Player, etc. all preinstalled and preconfigured). Plus, it uses the Ubuntu repositories. ;)

poohbear1616
February 6th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Right now trying out Dream Linux, but since Ubuntu was my first linux experience, which I really like and will install again on one of my other systems and the forums here are great, I come back here to read posts and learn.

unbuntu
February 6th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I have four distros installed across my two machines
better machine: Kubuntu/Ubuntu, Sabayon
the other: Arch, DreamLinux

shining
February 6th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Debian with kde, but I could use another desktop or wm.
I used to like arch a lot, and I reinstalled it recently. But since debian is perfectly and fully working, I had no reasons to switch back, so I don't use it.
With arch, most things are done manually, using cli and editing text files, but everything looks more simple, and easy to configure.
For example, for adding and removing a service, it's just a matter of adding and removing it from a config file. Compared to the sysv init system in debian, when you add to edit dozen of text files. So I need to use other tools that do it for me.
Same for creating packages, in arch, it's wonderfully easy, in debian, it's wonderfully complicated (though possibly more powerful).

gholen
February 6th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Debian, ack to where it all started.
Debian Etch on the lapop, ubuntu feelt too unstable and so.. So, back to debian.
On the other hand, ubuntu is still keepeing my other machine up, so I really are a ubuntu linux-user, bot who kows for how long. Debian is fine, stable, and can be trimmed to everything I want.

Been thinking of moving to debian for a quite while now. But my laptop is the only machine whit i now.
Cheers!

SunnyRabbiera
February 6th, 2007, 03:27 PM
SLED 10 which had been rock solid and problem free since installation. I have not used Ubuntu since Hoary but I still browse these forums now and then as Ubuntu was my introduction into the Linux world.

So hows Novelsoft suse vista doing these days :p

Sunnz
February 6th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Oh do we really need to start bashing Novel just because someone happens to use SuSE? After-all they are the people who started all the cool cube desktop thing!!!

manmower
February 6th, 2007, 03:43 PM

I'd say it most resembles a binary Gentoo. It's fast (i686 optimised and you only have to install what you need/want), and has a simple and neat package manager that works with binary packages, as well as an easy build system in case you want anything that's not in the repos or simply want to recompile a package with different options. It takes a little effort though, and you are encouraged to learn how to fix problems for yourself, but it is so simple that it is easy to learn in my opinion, and very rewarding. For me it is the perfect tool: fast and reliable OS + excellent learning platform. Here (http://cactuswax.net/blog/articles/2007/01/archlinux-mini-review.html)'s a nice little write-up covering some of the interesting aspects of it.

SunnyRabbiera
February 6th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Oh do we really need to start bashing Novel just because someone happens to use SuSE? After-all they are the people who started all the cool cube desktop thing!!!

That was a work of sarcasim, though novels deal with MS has got a lot of folks in a riot.

Phatfiddler
February 6th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I use Debian Etch on all of my computers, using latest KDE and Gnome depending on the machine. Yes its a little ironic seeing I host a website that promotes the use of Ubuntu, but it seems to be much more stable than when I was using Ubuntu, so thats what I use. Beginning Linux users seem to be much more adaptable to Ubuntu since it is easier to install(for new users) and use, so thats why it is my primary focus. I lurk in the forums so that I am up-to-date with software and releases.

bonzodog
February 6th, 2007, 05:05 PM
I run Zenwalk Linux, but did try Xubuntu briefly last year. However, I am a Slackware person at heart, and wanted a bleeding edge version of slackware with all the extras cut out. Zenwalk is fast and light, and actually has a GUI for most things, though I like the CLI backend.

Why do I stay with these forums?

I think they are one of the best Linux Community forums on the planet at the moment. Forums like Linuxquestions.org have tried and failed, but I find this is a good community, with a lot of promise.

Sunnz
February 6th, 2007, 06:06 PM
I'd say it most resembles a binary Gentoo. It's fast (i686 optimised and you only have to install what you need/want), and has a simple and neat package manager that works with binary packages, as well as an easy build system in case you want anything that's not in the repos or simply want to recompile a package with different options.Apart from compiling packages from source, what's the difference between arch and Debian? AFAIK of Debian is pretty minimal too, it doesn't come with gnome/kde/etc... is it??

That was a work of sarcasim, though novels deal with MS has got a lot of folks in a riot.I thought it was a bit funny too. :) Probably not necessary in this kind of thread though.

I run Zenwalk Linux, but did try Xubuntu briefly last year. However, I am a Slackware person at heart, and wanted a bleeding edge version of slackware with all the extras cut out. Zenwalk is fast and light, and actually has a GUI for most things, though I like the CLI backend.
Just wondering, have you tried Xubuntu? I had Xubuntu running on my mum's machine and it is good. If you have tried Xubuntu, may I ask how different is it from Zenwalk? Does it has a GUI package manager that let you install games, java, flash, and stuff?

Why do I stay with these forums?

I think they are one of the best Linux Community forums on the planet at the moment. Forums like Linuxquestions.org have tried and failed, but I find this is a good community, with a lot of promise.QFT, I couldn't agree more.

I have an account on LQ as well... I just never use it, but I keep coming to the Ubuntu Cafe.

BarfBag
February 6th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Arch and Mepis. I seem to be settling more on Mepis, at this point. Their new 64 bit version looks mighty sexy.

bonzodog
February 6th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Just wondering, have you tried Xubuntu? I had Xubuntu running on my mum's machine and it is good. If you have tried Xubuntu, may I ask how different is it from Zenwalk? Does it has a GUI package manager that let you install games, java, flash, and stuff?

Yes, as I said, i have tried Xubuntu, but found it slow and....bloated. Dunno why it felt so bloated, but it did. Zenwalk has a very literal one-app-per-purpose philosophy. And it doesn't have any games installed out of the box, as they set a limit for the ISO of 400MB and they have vowed to stick to it.
Like xubuntu, it uses Xfce, but I trumped that, gone even lighter, and went for Openbox.

Zenwalk uses the Slackware packaging systems, and the repos aren't so big, and much more community orientated, whereby there is a community repo that any user can build a package for, and submit it. They test the package first to make sure it is built properly and does what it says it does, then upload it to the repo. The Official repo only contains about 500 packages, but you can in some cases also use Slackware packages off Linuxpackages.org, and the forums also have a contributed packages section, where people can link to packages they built themselves, on the proviso they know that the packages may not work/could be broken. Zenwalk has 2 package management systems effectively - netpkg, which fetches and installs packages from repos, and has a gtk UI front end, and a manual package toolset brought over from slackware.

We get Java and all codecs Out of The Box, as there is a common belief that someone WAAAY back mis-interpreted the copyright laws surrounding them, and that the actual fine print says the copyright *only* applies to the Encoders, NOT the Decoders. Patrick Volkerding, who started the whole Linux Distro thing, (He started Slackware in 1992) discussed this recently in a podcast and said that until someone challenges him in court about it, he will continue to ship codecs.

Sunnz
February 6th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks bonzodog it sounds really cool I think I might try it on my parent's computer!!!

tribaal
February 6th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Debian Sid on the desktop (but Ubuntu Edgy on the laptop).

Theses forums are by far the most active and friendly around, so it makes sense for me to keep reading them and helping out. Plus much of what gets done in Ubuntu ends up in Debian in one way or another :)

- Trib'

darweth
February 6th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Patrick Volkerding is my hero.

unbuntu
February 7th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Apart from compiling packages from source, what's the difference between arch and Debian? AFAIK of Debian is pretty minimal too, it doesn't come with gnome/kde/etc... is it??

Apart from apt-get/pacman difference, Arch uses a BSD-style init script, i.e., a single configuration file, which is different from Debian

garba
February 7th, 2007, 01:08 AM
arch linux here and loving it, but i'm still giving those daily ubuntu live isos a try once in a while... can't do without the ubuntu forums though it looks like the whole linux community gathers around here :)

garba
February 7th, 2007, 01:13 AM

yep it's pretty sweet because it provides a fast way to get "vanilla" open source software without the wild patching and automation craze that come with distros such as debian

and the funniest part of it is that everything works perfectly fine

Brainfart
February 7th, 2007, 01:25 AM
I would be using Gentoo if my laptop wasn't in the shop. Love that distro. Sounds like I should give Arch a try sometime though...