PDA

View Full Version : Actually installing Ubuntu now..

Shin Natsume
May 19th, 2005, 04:46 AM
im now gonna get ready to install ubuntu on my secondary pc so that i have internet access, itll be installed on my primary later today, as soon as i get some more blank dvds...

lets hope i dont crash and burn during the install ^^ (i heard this is based on debian, and it does not have a installer GUI , so it may screw me like the Debian install did ^^)

wish me luck!

ciao ^^

XDevHald
May 19th, 2005, 04:48 AM
im now gonna get ready to install ubuntu on my secondary pc so that i have internet access, itll be installed on my primary later today, as soon as i get some more blank dvds...

lets hope i dont crash and burn during the install ^^ (i heard this is based on debian, and it does not have a installer GUI , so it may screw me like the Debian install did ^^)

wish me luck!

ciao ^^
Debian is great :p

Good luck with the installation!

Xian
May 19th, 2005, 04:49 AM
As both the Ubuntu and Debian Sarge installer are relatively similar, you may want to describe what problems you had in Debian so as to be certain you do not duplicate the previous errors.

Shin Natsume
May 19th, 2005, 04:53 AM
As both the Ubuntu and Debian Sarge installer are relatively similar, you may want to describe what problems you had in Debian so as to be certain you do not duplicate the previous errors.
i had no idea what to do when i got to the partition screen, i created a few partitions, and when i restarted, i only had the CL

ciao

Xian
May 19th, 2005, 04:58 AM
i had no idea what to do when i got to the partition screen, i created a few partitions, and when i restarted, i only had the CL
That can be easily corrected. Just read this info and you should be fine.
Post back with any questions.

Partitioning Your Disks In the Ubuntu Installer (http://archive.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/dists/hoary/main/installer-i386/current/doc/manual/en/ch06s03.html#di-partition)
Deciding On Ubuntu Partitions and Sizes (http://archive.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/dists/hoary/main/installer-i386/current/doc/manual/en/apbs01.html)

Shin Natsume
May 19th, 2005, 05:11 AM
thanks, but thankfully on this pc everything seems to be goin along fine, as i didnt have to partion anything since all i had on its HDD was RHL 7.3 i just wiped the drive, ive just entered a username and passoword, so things are progressing nicely ^^

ciao

az
May 19th, 2005, 05:52 AM

ciao
Are you refering to Woody? That used fdisk to partition. Although not graphical, the Ubuntu installer is really really easy to use.

It is, in my opinion, easier to use and understand than some of the graphical installers out there.

Shin Natsume
May 19th, 2005, 06:02 AM
this was bout 2 years ago, basically i came to a screen asking me to create partitions, and that i had to create partitions for the swap for the install and for something else.

but good news, im on ubuntu now, and i love it! ^^

ciao